Shoutbox

Tools For Pluggin's - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Tools For Pluggin's (/showthread.php?tid=12358)

Tools For Pluggin's by Sk3tch on 07-06-2003 at 04:39 AM

Hey i have a question about the pluggin's that you can add to your MSN Plus. Firstly What programs do you use to make just a simple pluggin, and secondly how would i go about making this?
Probably a little more complex than anyone can sum up for me but i am very curious and interested so any info would be grait!! :)

Sk3tch!

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by DXtremz on 07-06-2003 at 04:43 AM

You need to know a programming language and you need a compiler for that programming language, then you need to translate the headers from C into a programming language of your choice, and then write a DLL. There is no tool that would do it all automatically, you need to do it yourself. :)

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by Sk3tch on 07-06-2003 at 04:47 AM

lol.. oh ok,   well i guess i better hit the books then! :)

Thx DXtremz! (y)

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by allex87 on 07-06-2003 at 04:47 AM

To make plugins you need a C++ compiler and, preferably, an IDE. By far, the most package is Visual C++ (Standard, Professional, Enterprise, it doesn't matter).

Plugins can also be made in VB, or any other language. However, Patchou's header for C++ has not yet been ported to other languages atm.

Now, I assume you will use C++, since this is the only option available for now. So, go to:
http://www.msgplus.net/index.php?view=plugins

Download MPPlugins.zip and there you have a sample project for VC++ 6 (which can be also converted to VS.Net).

Of course, you need to have some knowledge of C++. And some Win32 API programming would help you a lot (I don't mean to brag, but knowing some Win32 API programming has helped me a LOT to understand the structure of a plugin).

Now, I won't go into detail about how to create a simple plugin *exactly*. You have a sample plugin in the zip from above, which should be pretty self-explanatory (lots of comments ;)).

If you have any further questions post them here.

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by DXtremz on 07-06-2003 at 04:53 AM

That would do it too. But you dont HAVE to use C++, (Although my choice is to use C++). Just pick a language you feel comfortable with, But in order to translate the headers you will need to know C++...unless someone else translates and distributes thier translation.

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by Sk3tch on 07-06-2003 at 04:57 AM

wow.. Thats very explanitory! Thanks a lot guys.. i downloaded the MPPlugins and im getting right to it!! :D! Going to learn as i go i guess lol, but im hoping that i can make somthing useful!

thanks a Million!!

Sk3tch

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by martin on 07-06-2003 at 05:04 AM

where abouts can me find a free compiler and "IDEs" if any

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by AzNiNsEcT on 07-06-2003 at 05:06 AM

are there any? :S

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by DXtremz on 07-06-2003 at 05:10 AM

Depends on the language you want to write it in. As for C++ www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html is a really good one. There are others for C, and other languages, I suggest using google to search Free <Language> Compiler.

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by allex87 on 07-06-2003 at 05:14 AM

Yes, Dev-C++ is, indeed, a great one! I used to use it (wow that sounds strange :P).
I think Microsoft is leading just because they know everything Windows does and can do, so they can take advantage of it. But who cares? A good compiler + IDE is a good compiler+IDE :D

I have both, MSVC++ and Dev-C++ ;)

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by martin on 07-06-2003 at 05:16 AM

for begginners wut language is the easyest to use

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by DXtremz on 07-06-2003 at 05:19 AM

I use Visual C++ 6 and Visual C++ 7.
As for a begginner ,you could start out with something like BASIC (its really old) the problem is that that language might ruin you. So I guess you could learn something like Visual Basic. You can also start with C++, and if you are using Microsoft Visual Studio, you can use the Microsoft Foundation Classes. They make things easy, and help you to learn. It really depends on how fast you learn, and how you learn.

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by AzNiNsEcT on 07-06-2003 at 05:20 AM

anyone translating the headers into VB atm? lol im not a real "do it myself" guy :P

RE: Tools For Pluggin's by allex87 on 07-06-2003 at 02:43 PM

The headers have been translated to VB by Patchou. Check this forum...