Shoutbox

new idea i had - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: new idea i had (/showthread.php?tid=19108)

new idea i had by wilhil on 12-08-2003 at 07:00 AM

Hi

I have just had a idea that I think would be cool for a new addition, I registered my user just to post this! I hope this is in the correct place, if it isnt please move it!

anyway, whilst using msn, i saw someone was offline, and i also thought I need to send them a urgent message. I am sure that I am not the only one but I leave my pc on 24/7 and I have broadband, so my msn is always signed in, now I think it would be really cool if you could save a message for a person, then the next time that they log on to msn, your pc would automatically send them the message, this ensures that even if you are not there, or just incase you forget, it will automatically give the message to someone.

please say if you like this idea! I know that the developer does listen here, as many suggestions have made the releases, but this one is probably complicated and wont make it! but it is worth a try!

RE: new idea i had by Weyzza on 12-08-2003 at 07:16 AM

err...

i think this looks like with offline messaging
not same though but looks like the same

this has been discussed before :undecided:
so why don't u use email?

edit: do i like the idea? no comment...

RE: new idea i had by Chrono on 12-08-2003 at 07:50 AM

I dont like it really, cause well, u can always send an email :undecided:

RE: new idea i had by Sk3tch on 12-08-2003 at 08:04 AM

hm.. tbh I like the sound of it 'in theory' but i dont like the idea itself. If this was made a feature in plus! it could be taken as another way to message people, thus sounding a lot like icq. Which if you think about it, is really kinda like another way of emailing someone lol. sorry, but i dont really like/see a point to this idea.

RE: new idea i had by Jeronimo on 12-08-2003 at 09:02 AM

We have this arguement about why its not like email every time. Seems this is a feature in much demand, and I can't see it being too hard to code, especially to a great man like Patchou. ;)

Oh well, I can but dream... :undecided:

RE: new idea i had by petitboeuf on 12-08-2003 at 01:27 PM

/agree email's just a good for offline messaging... just right click on them and email them so the toaster will appear when they sign in...

RE: new idea i had by Jeronimo on 12-08-2003 at 02:04 PM

Round and round in circles,
Poor Jeronimo did go,
To try to get a message,
To those who were quite slow

Offline messaging was the answer,
To satisfy his whim,
To send an instant message,
When his contacts did sign in

Email was suggested,
Tho this idea stunk,
For the problem with mail accounts,
Is that they are filled with junk

Messaging is faster,
No new program must be loaded,
So dearest writer Patchou,
Could this please be coded?

RE: new idea i had by ranicx on 12-08-2003 at 02:18 PM

:lol: ROFL!!  well done!  lol..

hmm yes neway.. i agree with that btw
also, maybe there could be sumthing adding in to make then have to say that they have seen it, and keep sending it to them when they sign in till its been read, cause if they sign in and then back out realy fast without reading it, then it was kinda pointless.

RE: new idea i had by wilhil on 12-08-2003 at 03:20 PM

personally I have one coment

msn messenger goes way back, I must of set my account up with hotmail years and years ago when it was brand new, so did all my friends just so that they could chat with me and other friends, hotmail since then sucks with space allowed e.t.c. and so many people use yahoo for email now or other things, and so they chat on msn but have diffrent email addresses, as you do not need to check your emails anymore, i know msn akllow you to connect witha  diffrent email, but wheny uo have been on it for years and have loads of contacts you do not want to switch over, for this i think this feature would be good!

RE: new idea i had by BooGhost on 12-08-2003 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Poor Jeronimo did go,
To try to get a message,

To satisfy his whim,

Email was suggested,
Tho this idea stunk,

Messaging is faster,
lol yeah same here :P
RE: new idea i had by Patchou on 12-08-2003 at 05:09 PM

Jeronimo: congratulations...  despite the fact that I've been against this idea since Plus! 2.00 was created, your post was so well done that I can't ignore it. I'll try to add that in the next version :). To avoid having a feeling of spamming, Plus! will wait a minute or so before it sends the message.

RE: new idea i had by Jeronimo on 12-08-2003 at 05:37 PM

Thanks Patchou. If nothing else, maybe my poetry will get me in the Plus credits and I can finally feel I've done my part for the community :)

And to the rest of you, this shows that the pen is mightier than the sword (or the keyboard is mightier than the sword... or something :undecided: )

P.S. I must stress that this was a one off piece of inspiration. Its back to old fashioned emoticons to get my point across now :banana:

RE: new idea i had by bach_m on 12-08-2003 at 05:48 PM

quote:
penis mightier
someone has a disgusting mind :P

altho i dont see the need, i think that offline messaging would be a great addition to Plus! and jeronimo, that was a great peice of poetry :refuck: (no, seriously)
RE: new idea i had by wilhil on 12-08-2003 at 07:00 PM

yay its going to be included!

RE: new idea i had by Apatik on 12-08-2003 at 07:14 PM

Thanks Patchou :D :bow:

RE: new idea i had by bach_m on 12-08-2003 at 07:31 PM

he didn't say it WOULD be added, just that he'd try.

RE: new idea i had by BooGhost on 12-08-2003 at 11:22 PM

damn this is great but..... 1 minute..... 20 secs pleaaaaaaaaaaaase :D

Jeronimo make another poeme

RE: new idea i had by Jeronimo on 12-08-2003 at 11:37 PM

There was once someone called BooGhost,
Who asked for a poem from me,
And he got one.

:spam:

RE: new idea i had by bach_m on 12-08-2003 at 11:59 PM

i agreee!!! give the man a break! who knpw, patchou might even make it a secret registry key ;);)

RE: new idea i had by theguy on 12-09-2003 at 12:22 AM

i agree with this idea. it could be 45 seconds.

RE: new idea i had by EvilSeph on 12-09-2003 at 12:35 AM

Unless you can provide a server to install any "answering machine" on to, and then find a possible way of coding this. It will probably never be implemented.

RE: RE: new idea i had by Jeronimo on 12-09-2003 at 12:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
Unless you can provide a server to install any "answering machine" on to, and then find a possible way of coding this. It will probably never be implemented.

:wall:

It took a long time to explain this to the masses, don't make me do it again. Well ok...

My machine is online all the time. So lets say I want to send a message to Bob who is currently offline. I can then use Plus to store a message I want to send to Bob. Bob comes online a bit later, and the message gets sent to him automatically from my machine which is currently signed in (doesn't have to have a status of online. Could be away, busy etc. I can be miles away from my machine while this all occurs)

So who needs a server? Just need both machines to be signed at the same time. Geddit??
RE: new idea i had by EvilSeph on 12-09-2003 at 12:52 AM

The majority of us don't leave our computers on, but anyway, you've found a way, congrats.

RE: new idea i had by Chrono on 12-09-2003 at 02:37 AM

quote:
Poor Jeronimo did go,
To try to get a message,

To satisfy his whim,

Email was suggested,
Tho this idea stunk,

Messaging is faster,

:bow: :lol:
that poem made me cry .cry:

RE: new idea i had by bach_m on 12-09-2003 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
he majority of us don't leave our computers on, but anyway, you've found a way, congrats.

mines on all the time :refuck:
RE: new idea i had by Weyzza on 12-09-2003 at 02:43 AM

quote:
My machine is online all the time. So lets say I want to send a message to Bob who is currently offline. I can then use Plus to store a message I want to send to Bob. Bob comes online a bit later, and the message gets sent to him automatically from my machine which is currently signed in (doesn't have to have a status of online. Could be away, busy etc. I can be miles away from my machine while this all occurs)

So the feature would be useless for those who don't have the messenger online all the time?
RE: new idea i had by Jeronimo on 12-09-2003 at 03:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
So the feature would be useless for those who don't have the messenger online all the time?
Not technically - it would be useless to those who aren't signed in at the same time as the person they want to send a message to. Its the only way I can think of to make this system work.

There are some features in Plus I don't use, but that doesn't makes them useless. I doubt 100% of the people use 100% of the product. :undecided:
RE: new idea i had by ranicx on 12-09-2003 at 06:39 AM

yer, like i dont use all of it, but if i eva need it, its there to use, which is realy good. like till only recently when i started useing my msgplus pop email to sign in, i neva used the pop3 email account checking, and now i need it, and its there to use :happy:
like id realy like the offline msging rite now, cause i gota send a msg to sum1, but cant cause they arnt online, and i dont wana miss them if they r only online for a little bit.

RE: new idea i had by rrfk on 12-13-2003 at 08:05 AM

When Messenger Plus came out. Windows Messenger quickly became my only IM solution. However I do miss the offline message function of ICQ...

It's true that a majority of my contacts used a hotmail address to create the .NET sign-in account... and only for that purpose. So spam or lack of need has made emails to offline contacts a less viable solution than a 'pending' type message that could be sent the next time that both the recipient and the sender were online.

I believe that implemented properly this could cause the rest of the IM community to gravitate towards MSN w/Plus.

Considerations:

- Offline messages should only be deliverable when BOTH parties are online for those who still know what their power button is for.

- email should still be sent to the recipient informing the receiver that an offline message has been sent at <send time> <send date> as well as the content of the offline message. Im sure Patchou and the team can figure out a fun way to do that.

- option to disable the reciept of offline messages globally or by user. This is just a guess, but I'm sure other people have people on they're list who they'd rather screen messages from. It would also help avoid offline spammers.

Just my 2 cents. If it doesn't happen, the product is still great. Thank you for considering this as an improvement.

RE: new idea i had by Chrono on 12-13-2003 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rrfk
- email should still be sent to the recipient informing the receiver that an offline message has been sent at <send time> <send date> as well as the content of the offline message. Im sure Patchou and the team can figure out a fun way to do that.

to send an email with the message wouldnt be easy to implement (if possible)

anyway, u dont really need to send an email.. the offline message wouldnt be needed if u send it