Shoutbox

How can you see if someone opens your conversation box - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box (/showthread.php?tid=21809)

How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by lesley on 02-26-2004 at 02:38 AM

hey..on mess.be there was a download where you could see if a person opened up ur convo box but i cant find it nemore and i was wondering if neone knows where i can find nething like that..thanks a bunch

Edit by Fraisie: Just changed the caps in the title :)

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by matty on 02-26-2004 at 03:17 AM

not possible on msn6 because the api (built in) detects when you close the window not if they open/close one

unless someone created an api that would detect it but thats another story lol

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 02-26-2004 at 07:01 AM

It doesn't work with the API, it works with packet sniffing. You need to listen on port 1863 for BYE and IRO commands.... (<= EDIT: this has been changed in recent protocols AFAIK; principle stays the same though)

For as far as I know, there are six programs to do this.

Messenger Discovery and StuffPlug-NG are both programs which aren't dedicated to this feature. This means that they contain more features then showing who has opened and/or closed a conversation with you.

The other programs are dedicated. Thus, this means that they are specificly designed for this feature (and often have more features for this then the non-dedicated plugins)...

1a) An addon for MSN Messenger (by ecko_complex AKA effekt):
http://www.msnfanatic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8194&st=0

(down)

1b) An addon for MSN Messenger ("Messenger Discovery" by effekt) (I):
Big concurrent of StuffPlug-NG.

http://www.messengerdiscovery.com/
(Run the installer)
(Not a dedicated addin; It has many more non-related features...)

2a) A plugin for Messenger Plus! ("Notifier" by DJMystic AKA TheBlasphemer):
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=18415
(Place the DAT and DLL into your plugins directory, start the plugin with command /xnot)
(A new one is in the make, it will be included in "StuffPlug-NG")

2b) A plugin for Messenger Plus! ("StuffPlug-NG" by TheBlasphemer) (I):
Most used plugin.

http://www.stuffplug.com/
(Not a dedicated plugin; It has many more non-related features...)

3) A plugin for Messenger Plus! (uncompiled, by Hah):
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21826
(Still alpha example version. You need to compile the source first with VB6.)

4) A plugin for Messenger Plus! ("OpenConvo" by Wouter) (I):
Most configurable notifier of all.

Old version: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=219848
(Place the EXE and DLL files in your plugins directory, register the DLL and run install.reg)

New version: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=28166
(Run the installer)

----------

All the notifier features in these addons/plugins were designed, tested and working in MSN Messenger 6.x.

If you want to know what the plugins exactly do and what the differences are, read the appropiate linked-to thread, don't ask here...

If you have any additions to this list, post them in this thread or PM me.

-------

SINCE THEN, THE PROTOCOL WHICH THESE NOTIFIERS RELIED UPON HAVE BEEN CHANGED GREATLY SO THEY DO NOT WORK ANYMORE, NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE CLAIM.

THEY DO NOT WORK ANYMORE, NOT WITH MSN MESSENGER 6, NOT WITH MSN MESSENGER 7, NOR WITH WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER OR WHATEVER.

(study the protocol before claiming anything else).

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by chris on 02-26-2004 at 07:07 AM

Arrh i thought i replyed to this.. but i guess i didnt there is one from DJMystic. and One From ecko_coplexe (something like that) The one from DJMystic is a Plus! Plugin and the one from ecko_c... is a exe. ill post them both on here so you can try em. they only work with windows XP as far as i know tho.

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 02-26-2004 at 07:27 AM

blah... didn't find a link for DJMystics one... but anyway, use the ones chris has put in the attachment... But please read the original threads before using them...

EDIT: link found for DJMystics Notifier, go to the dedicated thread....

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by KeyStorm on 02-26-2004 at 03:25 PM

DJMystic's os very buggy, I don't suggest it at all, because it usually crashes Messenger and apparently tries to open up conversations with other contacts than the one who opens the window.

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 02-26-2004 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
DJMystic's os very buggy, I don't suggest it at all, because it usually crashes Messenger and apparently tries to open up conversations with other contacts than the one who opens the window.
That's the first time I hear this (on all the MSN forums)...
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by KeyStorm on 02-26-2004 at 05:52 PM

He himself said it might be buggy since it's a beta, maybe I've got an old version. But he gave up developing plugins for MP! didn't he?

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by BooGhost on 02-26-2004 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
He himself said it might be buggy since it's a beta, maybe I've got an old version. But he gave up developing plugins for MP! didn't he?
yeah but the bugs you're telling are really weird :-/

quote:
apparently tries to open up conversations
I mean it's just a sniffer i think, what does a sniffer have to do with opening windows? :S

i think even crashing MSN is kinda weird :-/

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by chris on 02-26-2004 at 11:23 PM

On his page with some of his plugins it said that it was not even beta but alpha and that stuff. but he aslos said that if you had the checkmark checked to try and open a convo with the person it would just give you a bunch of errors

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by dotNorma on 02-26-2004 at 11:56 PM

the notifier is very old :P

It worked wonderfly much better in StuffPlug NG which he worked on until...he stopped

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by lylesback2 on 02-27-2004 at 12:47 AM

what about when they type... can't it detect that eariler?

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 02-27-2004 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
what about when they type... can't it detect that eariler?
hu? When someone start typing a message, he had to open a window first... So that opening of a window is detected with the sniffers. I can't see how you can detect anything sooner... by reading your contacts brainwaves maybe? (sorry, bit of sarcasm... :D)
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by NeoRevan on 03-27-2004 at 05:17 PM

WTF
I dled the Notifier again after having problems with plus and MSN CPU usage, and it was when I used the Notifier that I got the problem back!
I have used the notifier since first I got plus, never problem till I switched to Firefox. :P

RE: RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by bnevets27 on 03-27-2004 at 05:37 PM

SORRY about saying it was from DJMystic
i thought it was the only plug-in made for plus!

this one works well for me the other one bothers me b/c it comes up with a box that you have to click ok on everytime
this one just have a toast pop up, ofcourse u need msg plus!

Question, it still works fine, but recently it has started to pop up twice with the same notification, one of the 2 boxes kinda has a fram arounf it one doesn't but there both from plus, and r exactly the same except for that. one pops up then soons as it closes the 2nd one pops up and thats it. anyone know how i can fix this or maybe how to unistall it fully so i can just reintall it.

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by NeoRevan on 03-27-2004 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bnevets27
SORRY about saying it was from DJMystic
i thought it was the only plug-in made for plus!

this one works well for me the other one bothers me b/c it comes up with a box that you have to click ok on everytime
this one just have a toast pop up, ofcourse u need msg plus!

Question, it still works fine, but recently it has started to pop up twice with the same notification, one of the 2 boxes kinda has a fram arounf it one doesn't but there both from plus, and r exactly the same except for that. one pops up then soons as it closes the 2nd one pops up and thats it. anyone know how i can fix this or maybe how to unistall it fully so i can just reintall it.

I dont like that notifier, that runs an exe which does not close even if messenger is closed. :P
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 03-27-2004 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by True Neo
I dont like that notifier, that runs an exe which does not close even if messenger is closed. :P
that exe is the actual sniffer I talked about, I suppose... Either way, I like Wouters plugin the most, even if it needs an extra exe that needs to be running... (of course, it would be better if it didn't need it, but then again, Wouter's plugin is the only one that works correctly for me (I'm behind a router))
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Mnjul on 03-27-2004 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
that exe is the actual sniffer I talked about, I suppose... Either way, I like Wouters plugin the most, even if it needs an extra exe that needs to be running... (of course, it would be better if it didn't need it, but then again, Wouter's plugin is the only one that works correctly for me (I'm behind a router))
It appears that MSN's protocol is a bit strange...if you send a message to your contact and s/he doesn't react for 5 minutes (leaving the conversation window open but just not typing back to you), you will be notified that the conversation window has been closed...I've tried many times:S
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by saralk on 03-27-2004 at 09:08 PM

thats to save bandwidth, otherwise if when u signed on, everyone on ur contact list opened a convo with u, and didnt say anything, ur internet connection would slooooooow dooooooooooooooown

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 03-27-2004 at 11:54 PM

I don't quite follow what that has to do with me Mnjul ;)
Wouters plugin is the only one that correctly notifies me when someone opens a convo (although the running exe is a bit dodgy and windows messenger sometimes opens in the background and a "empty" convo is opened.... hmmm... just noticed now....very dodgy)

Saralk, I even understand less what you're talking about....

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by lylesback2 on 03-28-2004 at 12:21 AM

somebdy PLEASE post a sticky "How to see when someone opens a conversation" and post the answer please.  This request comes up once a week, maybe more, and it's annoying

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by bnevets27 on 03-28-2004 at 07:27 AM

i don't mind it, yes it runs and extra exe, and does stay open when you close msn but mines on if my comps on so doesn't bother me also it works the best as far i have seen, it uses the plus! toast so its not really anoying.

CookieRevised, does it open a window that says to:clean
because thats happing to me and i don't know why. heres a link to a screen shot:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=218391

also just recently i have been gettin two notifactions of the same thing
a toast will pop up "window opened", soon as it closes another one pops up "window opened". only differance is the first one has a little gray border.
does anyone know how to fix it or how to completely uninstall the plug-in so i can do a clean reinstall. it worked fine before but just started doin this.

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 03-29-2004 at 06:29 AM

quote:
CookieRevised, does it open a window that says to:clean
because thats happing to me and i don't know why. heres a link to a screen shot:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=218391
Yep, although only sometimes... Also sometimes Windows Messenger is launched and that "to:clean"-convo is opened then... Because I can't reproduce it, I can't know for sure, but I think it has todo with the plugin...
quote:
also just recently i have been gettin two notifactions of the same thing a toast will pop up "window opened", soon as it closes another one pops up "window opened". only differance is the first one has a little gray border.
Nope, I don't have that...
quote:
does anyone know how to fix it or how to completely uninstall the plug-in so i can do a clean reinstall. it worked fine before but just started doin this.
To fix? I dunno... to uninstall:
1) close messenger completely
2) kill the process openConvo.exe
3) unregister OpenConvo.dll
4) delete OpenConvo.dll and openConvo.exe in your plugins directory
5) delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Patchou\MsgPlus2\RegisteredPlugins\Open Convo in your registry

(PS: similar actions can be taken to uninstall any plugin)
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Concord Dawn on 03-29-2004 at 07:27 AM

I like this plugin:banana:

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Millenium_edition on 06-07-2004 at 03:48 PM

ehm blasphemer, you could just wait for the BYE command, instead of looking at the winsock_close event =/

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Sk3tch on 06-07-2004 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
ehm blasphemer, you could just wait for the BYE command, instead of looking at the winsock_close event =/
I didn't think this was very accurate is it?
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Millenium_edition on 06-07-2004 at 05:18 PM

no, but waiting for winsock_close isn't either ;)

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Barisko on 06-11-2004 at 12:38 PM

how come Wouters plugin doesn't work for me?

it does not show in the pluginlist within Plus!
i don't see the .exe file running when i push ctrl-alt-del

i put the 3 files into my plugin folder and i did run the .reg file...
what did i do wrong?

Barisko

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Sk3tch on 06-11-2004 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
no, but waiting for winsock_close isn't either ;)
well, i haven't tried doing it that way.. but i know when i waited for BYE i would get random ones sent, i tried to filter them a little more.. but :-/

So.. as long as winsock_close doesn't act like BYE then it's probably better...  ill have a look at it later |-)
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by Tochjo on 06-11-2004 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Barisko
Try opening/running the file.
RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CookieRevised on 06-11-2004 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Barisko
how come Wouters plugin doesn't work for me?

it does not show in the pluginlist within Plus!

i put the 3 files into my plugin folder and i did run the .reg file...
what did i do wrong?
Did you also register the DLL?

RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CanadianOriginal on 06-15-2004 at 09:03 AM

I was using WOuter's plugin, and it was working fine. But it's not anymore :S. Just stopped out of the blue. It still shows up in the plugins list, and the openconvo.exe process still runs, but no notifications (I was also getting the "to:clean" wondow, even that has stopped appearing). any ideas?

I've reinstalled both Plus! and the plugin

Windows XP Pro
MSN Messenger 6.2.0133
Plus! Version 3.01.94

RE: RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by josh on 06-15-2004 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CanadianOriginal
I was using WOuter's plugin, and it was working fine. But it's not anymore :S. Just stopped out of the blue. It still shows up in the plugins list, and the openconvo.exe process still runs, but no notifications (I was also getting the "to:clean" wondow, even that has stopped appearing). any ideas?

Windows XP Pro
MSN Messenger 6.2.0133
Plus! Version 3.01.94

Have some exprience to share with you. Since OpenConvo opertaing method is sniffing TCP port 1863. If your MSN messenger connecting to server different as TCP port 1863, then OpenConvo cannot work properly.

So check your MSN connection, using command netstat under Command Prompt.

if you get:
TCP    XXX:3555     baym-xxxx.msgr.hotmail.com:[b]1863  ESTABLISHED[/b]
sorry, maybe your situation is different as mine, I cannot help you^o)

if you get port other than 1863, then maybe you have chance to try my way to solve it:P

Modify the registry:
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger]
"Server"="messenger.hotmail.com;207.46.104.20:1863"

Then restart you MSN messenger, and check your connecting TCP port. If it is port 1863, then test your OpenConvo again.

Hope this help(Y)
RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by Cartox on 06-15-2004 at 07:46 PM

i like the OpenConvo by Wouter
but it would be easy to just click on the pop-up
and then it would open the conversation box with your contact..

could it be done?

edit: also the plug-in works
but doesn't show up in the plug-in list...:S

RE: RE: RE: HOW YOU CAN SEE IF SOMEONE OPENS UR CONVERSATION BOX by CanadianOriginal on 06-16-2004 at 12:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by josh
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianOriginal

Windows XP Pro
MSN Messenger 6.2.0133
Plus! Version 3.01.94

Have some exprience to share with you. Since OpenConvo opertaing method is sniffing TCP port 1863. If your MSN messenger connecting to server different as TCP port 1863, then OpenConvo cannot work properly.

So check your MSN connection, using command netstat under Command Prompt.

if you get:
TCP    XXX:3555     baym-xxxx.msgr.hotmail.com:[b]1863  ESTABLISHED[/b]
sorry, maybe your situation is different as mine, I cannot help you^o)

if you get port other than 1863, then maybe you have chance to try my way to solve it:P

Modify the registry:
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger]
"Server"="messenger.hotmail.com;207.46.104.20:1863"

Then restart you MSN messenger, and check your connecting TCP port. If it is port 1863, then test your OpenConvo again.

Hope this help(Y)

Well, I deleted the entire MSNMessenger reg key and reinstalled the program, so the registry is to its default settings (just like yours). Still, I can't get any response out of the plugin. Anyone else got any ideas? Wouter maybe? it is your plugin after all :P
RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by catchgokul on 06-18-2004 at 06:00 AM

hey... there is a software called lithuim project v 1.0
ive tested it myself... not bad.. consedering its feature
here's da link
http://www.freewebs.com/prjlithium/prjLithium.zip

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by Millenium_edition on 06-18-2004 at 09:35 AM

There's already a new version of prjLithium. http://www.huuf.net/prjLithium/

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by CookieRevised on 06-18-2004 at 04:54 PM

it's http://www.huuf.net/prjlithium/ btw (with a small "l", not with capital "L") ;)

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by 1878 on 07-02-2004 at 06:31 PM

i triedto install wouters plug in anyway this might be a stupid question but how do i register the dll file???

im on windows 98 and get this message

component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered:a file is missing or invalid

anyone got any ideas?????

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by matty on 07-02-2004 at 10:37 PM

http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll....lname=COMDLG32.OCX

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by catchgokul on 07-03-2004 at 05:27 AM

hey...
i use windows xp....so i dunno how exactly
but one of my friends recently made it work...
try copying the dll file in the windows system 32 folder
not sure if it works dude
but wats there in trying

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 09:44 AM

hu?????

You don't need to copy any DLL into your system32 folder. That wont do any good, in fact, it will clutter up your folder with useless stuff...

Simple register the DLL en run the REG-file, you don't need to do anything more...

Of course, make sure you have a perfect running system in the first place. This means, make sure you have the latest updates of your Windows and you have installed all the needed components. But this goes for ANY program....

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by trueno on 07-04-2004 at 01:17 PM

4) A plugin for Messenger Plus! ("OpenConvo" by Wouter):
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=219848
(Place the EXE and DLL files in your plugins directory, register the DLL and run install.reg)

there....how do i register the dll???...plz help...send mail to cadeneyras@hotmail.com plz...:P;)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y):D

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by CookieRevised on 07-04-2004 at 11:54 PM

1) Do NOT double post, edit your first post if you wanna add/ask more
2) registering the DLL is done by going to START > RUN and there type:
regsvr32 "c:\path_to_your_plugin_directory\openconvo.dll" (note the quotes!!!)
3) There are no commands.
4) It is possible that openconvo doesn't work for you though...
5) A new version (with installer) is being made and tested as we speak, be patienced, it will be released soon...

;)

EDIT: new one has arrived....

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by trueno on 07-05-2004 at 03:34 AM

thx...it works now  =P...and ill wait for the new one...

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by MessEnGer on 07-05-2004 at 03:51 AM

Module cannot ber found

please help

RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by CookieRevised on 07-31-2004 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MessEnGer
Module cannot ber found
1) That's not helpfull at all.... at least say about what you're talking about.... BUT....
2) I said, "do not reply in this thread with problems for a specific plugin"... do that in the designated thread!

The specific threads for the individual plugins are the places to report problems, not here. If everybody would report problems here for all those plugins it would become a very big mess... So, please go to the specific thread instead ;)
RE: How can you see if someone opens your conversation box by trinkZ on 06-15-2009 at 11:08 AM

Srry if I am posting this in the wrong/old topic but I found this topic via google.

But I saw that the last post was from 2004.

Is there still a plugin for msn plus that works like this? I've been looking on the internet but with no succes.

thx