Shoutbox

Convert Tab - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Convert Tab (/showthread.php?tid=24951)

Convert Tab by Vintes on 05-08-2004 at 03:50 PM

How can i get the convert tab to work then?

RE: Convert Tab by Tochjo on 05-08-2004 at 03:52 PM

The Convert tab for the handwriting plug-in has no use on personal computers. It can't be 'made to work'. Just ignore it :)

RE: Convert Tab by FurryD on 05-08-2004 at 05:02 PM

oh that thing. have been wondering what it is too. do you know what it's there for then? and if, would you be so nice to tell? :)

RE: Convert Tab by user13774 on 05-08-2004 at 05:21 PM

It's there for portable devices such as PDA's, but normally you can't use it.

RE: Convert Tab by Martijn. on 05-08-2004 at 09:01 PM

The "convert" function was originally in MSN Messenger, ment for PDA's, it would make sending text easier. The handwriting plugin simply enables the function (by faking Messenger it's running on a PDA). Since in would have no use to use converting on a normal PC, Micro$oft hasn't put it in the normal PC version if Windows. The Convert function is there on PDA's though

RE: Convert Tab by matty on 05-08-2004 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by |\/|artij|\|
The "convert" function was originally in MSN Messenger, ment for PDA's, it would make sending text easier. The handwriting plugin simply enables the function (by faking Messenger it's running on a PDA). Since in would have no use to use converting on a normal PC, Micro$oft hasn't put it in the normal PC version if Windows. The Convert function is there on PDA's though

This made absolutly no sense.

The convert tab will allow you to hard right a message then it will convert it to text that could be sent.

So you write the word HI and it will put into text format the word HI to be sent.

(Converts handwritting to text on PDAs basically)
RE: Convert Tab by whYeNQue on 05-08-2004 at 09:31 PM

erm... for tablet pc's aswell (wasnt sure for PDA's)

RE: RE: Convert Tab by Martijn. on 05-08-2004 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
This made absolutly no sense.

The convert tab will allow you to hard right a message then it will convert it to text that could be sent.

So you write the word HI and it will put into text format the word HI to be sent.

(Converts handwritting to text on PDAs basically)

What I ment to say is that the convert function is not in the PC function of Windows, so is doesn't work in Messenger, the PDA version of Windows does have the convert functionality built in, so you can convert handwritten text to normal "messages".

I agree that was a bit of a wierd post :P
RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-09-2004 at 04:13 AM

You need to install a Tablet PC handwriting recogniser.

I've put the UK one here, it's in a zip file -- http://(obsolete URL removed)

I extracted it from Microsoft's Tablet PC Recogniser Pack, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?f...-8454-26aeab4ba1aa

Put the dll file in your Windows system folder (most likely C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) and run the following command to install it:

code:
regsvr32 mshwuk.dll

If you want the recognisers for any of the other languages let me know and I'll post them too.
RE: RE: Convert Tab by Martijn. on 05-09-2004 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by plasticbag

I've put the UK one here, it's in a zip file -- http://mongfish.com/msnmsgr/mshwuk.dll.zip

I extracted it from Microsoft's Tablet PC Recogniser Pack, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?f...-8454-26aeab4ba1aa

Put the dll file in your Windows system folder (most likely C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) and run the following command to install it:

code:
regsvr32 mshwuk.dll

If you want the recognisers for any of the other languages let me know and I'll post them too.

Hmm... could you please post the Dutch version:D I didn't think it was possible, but it'd be fun to see it work...
RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-09-2004 at 12:23 PM

There are only handwriting recognisers for these languages:

English
French
German
Spanish
Japanese
Korean
Simplified Chinese
Traditional Chinese

RE: Convert Tab by Martijn. on 05-09-2004 at 12:26 PM

OK, I'll take the English one then.

Thanks anyway :)

RE: Convert Tab by CookieRevised on 05-09-2004 at 12:39 PM

quote:

I've put the UK one here, it's in a zip file -- http://mongfish.com/msnmsgr/mshwuk.dll.zip

code:
regsvr32 mshwuk.dll

:bow:
Thank you for that (y) it works great, (although of course the reconition is sometimes wrong, (not easy to write with the mouse :p))

Anyways, you don't need to put it in your system folder though, You can put it anyware you like, of course you need to register it ;)

Thanks again (y)
RE: Convert Tab by Sk3tch on 05-09-2004 at 12:42 PM

Thankyou plasticbag :) not only is it fun but its better knowing it all works now lol.

Big thanks for mentioning that (Y)

RE: Convert Tab by user13774 on 05-09-2004 at 04:22 PM

Maybe someone should add it now to the plugin?

RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-09-2004 at 06:59 PM

You're all quite welcome. I came across this almost by accident while trying to write a plugin to copy+paste ink in the handwriting windows (it's not finished yet.)

Thanks for the tip, CR .. I had a further look at the setup program and I think on a Tablet PC it puts them somewhere in the Common Files\Microsoft Shared folder if you do a proper install. Or something like that.

I've put the rest of the languages up here: http://(obsolete URL removed)

RE: Convert Tab by CookieRevised on 05-09-2004 at 07:38 PM

(y) excellent page... I already stored the link to your post to use it as a referrer on IRC and stuff, but I'll change it to that wabpage... ;)

RE: Convert Tab by weirdal27 on 05-09-2004 at 07:46 PM

quote:
You're all quite welcome. I came across this almost by accident while trying to write a plugin to copy+paste ink in the handwriting windows (it's not finished yet.)
that sounds awesome
does that mean we could copy/paste pictures in there?
that could get annoying, but it could be usefull, maybe you coule put a size limit on it

but thats for another thread ;)

RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-10-2004 at 10:26 PM

At the moment I'm just trying to get ink objects to transfer into and out of the Messenger handwriting tab into another 'InkPicture' control. So far it sort of works, but loses all colour and pen size information, not sure why.

Being able to convert bitmaps to an ink representation would be pretty neat though .. I'll have to try that one!

RE: Convert Tab by CookieRevised on 05-11-2004 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Being able to convert bitmaps to an ink representation would be pretty neat though .. I'll have to try that one!
That would be realy realy hard todo... bitmaps are errr... bitmaps and inks are vectors. Even the best and advanced softwares can't convert bitmaps to vectors in a decent way...

RE: Convert Tab by whYeNQue on 05-11-2004 at 03:57 PM

woah... i just realised that recgogniser pack is over 250 megs... and you got it down to a couple of megs for us... thanks :D

RE: RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-11-2004 at 05:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
That would be realy realy hard todo... bitmaps are errr... bitmaps and inks are vectors. Even the best and advanced softwares can't convert bitmaps to vectors in a decent way...

Oh no no, I'm not going to try anything as difficult as that! Was thinking more along the lines of converting each individual pixel to an ink point vector of that colour.
RE: RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-11-2004 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
quote:

I've put the UK one here, it's in a zip file -- http://(obsolete URL removed)

code:
regsvr32 mshwuk.dll

whoah, thats pretty impressive :)
Mind if i'd add it to any future releases (if there will be any :P)

Aye, go for it, they're not mine anyway they're Microsoft's ..

RE: Convert Tab by CookieRevised on 05-12-2004 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whYeNQue
woah... i just realised that recgogniser pack is over 250 megs... and you got it down to a couple of megs for us... thanks :D
Actually he didn't cut it down... The "reconizer pack" also holds speach reconitions, etc... etc... He did however find the responsible DLL's needed for the handwriting convert alone... Cheers to that...
RE: RE: Convert Tab by whYeNQue on 05-12-2004 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by whYeNQue
Actually he didn't cut it down... The "reconizer pack" also holds speach reconitions, etc... etc... He did however find the responsible DLL's needed for the handwriting convert alone... Cheers to that...

yeh thats what i meant... thanks for clarifying that :D
RE: RE: Convert Tab by Tarry on 05-12-2004 at 06:26 PM

quote:
So far it sort of works, but loses all colour and pen size information, not sure why.

Well I have a graphic tablet... is it possible to detect the pressure you do with the pen with the handwriting plugin? (as photoshop and many others do, if you do a lot of pressure the line is bigger...)
RE: Convert Tab by Mnjul on 05-15-2004 at 06:20 AM

The DLL thing doesn't work for me...I have registered mshwcht.dll (Traditional Chinese version of the DLL, of course) ...there is also a mshwchtr.dll but I can't register it (can't find DLL entry point)...Still I put it under the system directory along with the registered mshwcht.dll. But it just won't work! :(

RE: RE: RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-15-2004 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tarry
quote:
So far it sort of works, but loses all colour and pen size information, not sure why.

Well I have a graphic tablet... is it possible to detect the pressure you do with the pen with the handwriting plugin? (as photoshop and many others do, if you do a lot of pressure the line is bigger...)

What happens when you try it?
RE: RE: Convert Tab by plasticbag on 05-15-2004 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
The DLL thing doesn't work for me...I have registered mshwcht.dll (Traditional Chinese version of the DLL, of course) ...there is also a mshwchtr.dll but I can't register it (can't find DLL entry point)...Still I put it under the system directory along with the registered mshwcht.dll. But it just won't work! :(

The mshwchtr.dll is just resources for the mshwcht.dll -- only the mshwcht.dll will register.

I don't know, maybe I've missed a file out for the CHT ones .. could you try this program and let me know if it recognises anything?

http://(obsolete URL removed)

It's one of the handwriting recognition test programs that comes with Microsoft's tablet PC developer kit, and should indicate if the mshwcht.dll can do anything, even if it isn't yet working with Messenger (yet ..!)
RE: Convert Tab by Mnjul on 05-15-2004 at 07:29 PM

The program you provided does recognize the characters I write ;)

RE: Convert Tab by riahc4 on 08-28-2004 at 02:12 AM

Sorry for reviving this thread but can i install all the languages? (except the special letters ones like chinese ect)

RE: Convert Tab by eatshitanddie on 08-28-2004 at 03:13 PM

Regarding the DLL, I want to use a Brazilian Portuguese DLL wich MS doesn't provide.
The only sw with Brazilian Portuguese DLL I know is PENOFFICE; it install two DLLS: CgrKbrdPtb.dll, CgrRecPtb.dll, CgrPtb120k.dct
anybody knows what each dll does? can I use these dlls as mentioned on mongfish.com instead the other langage dlls?
http://www.fbi.com.br/software/portbrzdll.rar   390Kb

RE: Convert Tab by M73A on 08-28-2004 at 03:33 PM

THIS IS SOOO GOOD, i h8 fings bein on ma pc but a waste of space...thats fixed now, THANKS!

RE: Convert Tab by CookieRevised on 08-28-2004 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Sorry for reviving this thread but can i install all the languages? (except the special letters ones like chinese ect)
Unless, you use MSN Messenger in all other languages, this is pretty useless... You can't select which DLL to use: it depends on the language of messenger itself I assume, so installing all the languages is useless...

quote:
Originally posted by eatshitanddie
Regarding the DLL, I want to use a Brazilian Portuguese DLL wich MS doesn't provide.
The only sw with Brazilian Portuguese DLL I know is PENOFFICE; it install two DLLS: CgrKbrdPtb.dll, CgrRecPtb.dll, CgrPtb120k.dct
anybody knows what each dll does? can I use these dlls as mentioned on mongfish.com instead the other langage dlls?
http://www.fbi.com.br/software/portbrzdll.rar   390Kb
Those DLL's from PenOffice are not the same as these "converttab"-DLL's... So, no... But anyways, just install the English "converttab"-DLL, it will work also...

The differences in the languages for those "converttab"-DLL's isn't realy that important. eg: Writing in dutch, while the English DLL is installed will work just as fine. Characters are characters; an "A" in dutch is just the same as an "A" in English and thus will be reconized the same.

Differences between the languages are only noticable when you use special characters; it is only when you use a "not standard" western alphabeth (like Chinese), that you will benefit from installing the correct language DLL...

(There are more differences between the language DLL's, but those are all quite technical to explain and furthermore, like said, aren't that of a big deal anyways for the occasional handwriting msg. Wanna know more? I suggest to search the MS-knowledgebases for "handwriting reconition" or something.)