Shoutbox

Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in (/showthread.php?tid=25880)

Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 05-24-2004 at 09:37 AM

Hey all

wouldn't it be handy if you got a 'send to messenger contact' option in the right-click menu of a (zip) file of your Windows operating system..?

(see screenshot included...)

If there's any interest in this... I'll explain my idea a little bit more in detail...

**edit: ow... I don't have the knowledge to develop this myself ... so feel free :o **

greets

El Renio

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Dempsey on 05-24-2004 at 10:19 AM

Yea there used to be a program that did this, but it only worked with MSN 4.x cos it was easy to do this sort of thing back then.

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by alexp2_ad on 05-24-2004 at 01:48 PM

Good idea.

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 05-24-2004 at 06:24 PM

anybody wanna volunteer? :D

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Varish on 05-25-2004 at 08:10 AM

I like this idea, wonder why nobody thought abt this earlier???!?!

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 05-26-2004 at 11:10 AM

grmbl.. I like everyone's reaction... wonder why nobody wants to start working on this ...???

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Dempsey on 05-26-2004 at 11:22 AM

because it's not as easy as just start working on it.  Although it may be possible, it's not easily possible.

I would need a plugin dll and an always running exe i think but im sure TB could think of a better way :p

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Zink on 05-26-2004 at 11:29 AM

good idea (Y)

mm.. I was wondering too..*-)
is there some plugin that add a command similar to "/send" that allow to specify not only the contact you send the file, also the file you want to send?..8-)

:Pso you could make a predefined status or a comeback message with that command and send some file to somebody even been out of the pc..  ^0^  now that msgplus 3 allows commands on that modes it would be possible.. isn't it? :D

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Dempsey on 05-26-2004 at 11:38 AM

theres already that command. it's /dropfile thats what i use in Screenshot Sender

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Mike on 05-26-2004 at 04:34 PM

Ummm...
Where's the screenshot? :undecided:

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Dempsey on 05-26-2004 at 04:35 PM

wheres what screenshot?

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by edkwh on 06-11-2004 at 08:09 PM

Hmm, I got it done with C# and VB.NET. I'm a C# coder and downloaded the base classes needed to implement a context menu handler (that's what this kinda things are called) that's written in VB.NET. Bummer. It's copy and pasting codes from everywhere and making them work. Anyway, it's working well, but now I need to know what kinda dependencies are needed, does the .NET Framework need to be installed? What other files do I need to include?

It's working somewhat weird, sometimes it works on all files, sometimes it doesn't at all. But it always works for files on the desktop. I think it's something to do with the registry or there's something wrong with the codes somewhere. Since I'm using the Messenger API, the only function available is the SendFile and using that, only the FileDialog will pop up and not sent automatically. I have to use SendKeys to send the Enter key to the MSN and that works alrite, but sometimes launches the file instead.

So, I'll release the proggie once I find out what's needed for it to run properly. And need to tweak the registry settings. Any ideas anyone? Oh yeah, it's an dll file, not a plugin whatsoever.

http://edlog.teh-tarik.com/files/MSNShellExtension/Screenshot1.jpg

http://edlog.teh-tarik.com/files/MSNShellExtension/Screenshot2.jpg

(P/S I did a proggie which sends an SMS to me everytime someone comes online, pretty buggy though, but working alrite, anyone interested? ;) )

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 06-11-2004 at 08:30 PM

aaah at last! somebody who's taking the challenge :D
thanks for your work already, edkwh!

I hope you get around the issues you encounter.. let me know if you need a tester ;)

Ow and euh... I might be interested in your SMS program too.

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by edkwh on 06-11-2004 at 09:35 PM

Okay, I'm posting up the files so you guys can try it out first. It's still little buggy, you need the .NET Framework 1.1. Got it working all the time in Windows 98SE, guess it hates Windows XP. Well, maybe it's my PC ? Try it out and get back to me. Oh, just unzip the files to C:\MSN Shell Extension or just C:\ using the path given. Then run the .reg script which is little jumbled up but should be the right one. If you're extracting the files to another directory, please change the registry script. Hope this works, haven't really try it with a clean install. Oh yeah, if it doens't appear on the first try, try restarting your PC. I hold no responsibility at what damage this might cause, use it at your own risk. Please do get back to me on how it worked on your PC.

<edit> Please get the updated files from the next post </edit>

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 06-12-2004 at 08:34 AM

I've extracted it in the C:\MSN Shell Extension folder and imported the registry file, restarted my computer and when I right-click a file (one that's located on my desktop) the computer starts rambling for a few seconds and the extra send-to functions are not there :(

I'm running Windows XP Pro sp1 and have .NET Framework 1.1 installed... Messenger Client 6.2.0133 and Messenger Plus! 3.00.0092

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Phrive on 06-12-2004 at 10:17 AM

i installed it and im gonna restartr my comp inothin has nappened so far but thas gd and bad also

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by edkwh on 06-12-2004 at 12:59 PM

Hmm, this *should* work. Make sure your Windows Messenger is also up to date. Rename it to *.msi. Forum won't let me upload msi files.

RE: RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Edu115 on 06-14-2004 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by _-PhRiVe-_
i installed it and im gonna restartr my comp inothin has nappened so far but thas gd and bad also

not working here..
RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Ezra on 06-15-2004 at 06:30 PM

Sweet it's working!

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Phrive on 06-15-2004 at 06:40 PM

i just installed it agen! im gonna log of now and see if has worked ill edit my post to say if it worked or not
Edit:i restrated and still no luck it looks liek this still
[Image: help.jpg]

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by CookieRevised on 06-15-2004 at 11:14 PM

Does this work if MSN Messenger is not running (as in, it opens msn messenger, connects, checks if contact is online, sends the file, etc...)???

Because if it doesn't, is seems to me a rather useless way of doing it (and very bloated if you don't have the .NET framework and need to install it also).

You can simply click, drag and drop any file in your MSN Messenger convo's or on a contact in your contactlist. That's standard Windows beheviour ;)

But, I suppose some people might find the program usefull, so...

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 06-16-2004 at 05:25 AM

well... the initial idea is that it should also be possible to right-click a folder, zip it and send it directly to a contact (on-line or when he/she comes back on-line, like the 'welcome msg from Plus!')... rather a challenge eh? ;)

Concerning the zip possibility: of course it is not needed to develop its own compression-tool inside it... a linkage to something like WinZip or WinRAR (configurable, like with anti-virus programs in e-mail clients) should do the job.

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by EZTripps on 06-16-2004 at 06:54 AM

I think the plugin is very handy, for example when you are working with many convos open and a few explorers... Still too bad we can't send folders... But anyways, once It's up and rolling I will gladly use this plugin.
Oh, and I'd like that SMS thingy as well ;p What do I do to get it =D

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by edkwh on 06-16-2004 at 10:00 AM

quote:
i just installed it agen! im gonna log of now and see if has worked ill edit my post to say if it worked or not
Edit:i restrated and still no luck it looks liek this still
What version of Windows Messenger are you using? You'll need to update it to the latest version, 4.7 if I'm not mistaken, to actually get the Messenger API interops to be working properly.

quote:
Does this work if MSN Messenger is not running (as in, it opens msn messenger, connects, checks if contact is online, sends the file, etc...)???
Nope, not yet, it'll need to have a local cache of ur contact list then as currently, it works by liaising with a running MSN Messenger login n grabbing the online contacts. And then you'll have a huge list of contacts to choose from in the menu unless there's a seperate dialog for it. But it's possible. Meanwhile, I'm still fixing the Windows XP bug. Will work on this feature next.

quote:
well... the initial idea is that it should also be possible to right-click a folder, zip it and send it directly to a contact (on-line or when he/she comes back on-line, like the 'welcome msg from Plus!')... rather a challenge eh?
Hmm, that would be a challenge and it'll involve alot of API callings but should be possible. Get the folder, zip the folder and send the zip file to the contact. On the send to contact after when he/she comes online, the context menu will have to communicate with another proggie or a plugin for Messenger Plus. Well, busy with studying and all but I'll look through and see what I can do.

Okay, the weird thingy in Windows XP is it always works for files on the desktop, but only works for the first Window Explorer you open. Any subsequent Window Explorer that you open, the menu will not be there. It works quite well with Widows 98 SE, think it's some marshelling errors, will iron that out.

Meanwhile, get the latest version of the plugin, where you won't have the accidentally execution of the file you are trying to send. Make sure you uninstall the previous version, restart your PC, and reinstall the current one. Oh yeah, rename it to *.msi. ;)
RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 06-16-2004 at 11:44 AM

I've uninstalled the first build, restarted my computer, installed the one posted today, restarted my computer, signed in Messenger, right click a JPG file located on my desktop...

then... my computer is rambling for 10 seconds or so and then displays the right-click menu... nothing changed ... no new option 'send to msn contact' or such....

:(

Windows XP Pro SP1
MSN Messenger 6.2.0133
Messenger Plus! 3.0.94

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Phrive on 06-16-2004 at 02:41 PM

so.. do i nee the .NET framework and windows messnger to make this work? got windows messenger currently downlioading .NET framework

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Edu115 on 06-16-2004 at 03:54 PM

hehehe it's working now :)

OFFTOPIC -> edkwh read your PM's :P

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Phrive on 06-16-2004 at 03:59 PM

i still cnt get it to work really want it
My Specs:

Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 6.2.0137
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.01.0094

Plugins
HandWriting Enabler
Window Closed Alert
Plugin Reloader
QTSender
StuffPlug-NG
Stuffplug by DJMystic
DescX's SystemInfo
WMPlus 2
XFade V1.0 By Finn
Mig Screenshot Sender
ColorNick
Mike's l33tificator
BK's Winamp Ext.
RDM Speech For Messenger Plus!
Screenshot Sender 3
BrowseWeb by zigomar10
Jutx File Organiser

Can Any1 Plzzzzzz... Help Me?

Yay!1 i donno wat i did but it works now!!

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by edkwh on 06-17-2004 at 09:38 PM

Update your Windows Messenger to 4.7, and MSN Messenger to 6.2. Both updates are required.

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by lylesback2 on 06-17-2004 at 09:59 PM

it should show E-mails only.  save space from long MSN contact nicknames.

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by Dempsey on 06-18-2004 at 09:03 AM

maybe have asome option son what to show, or let us choose the format, like

!nick  -  (!email)    or   !nick    or   !email

etc then that get changes into the actaul emails or nicknames.

or maybe setting a limit for the nick say, 30 chars, so it would say like

blah blah blahblah blah blah ....

and cut it off after 30 chars?

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by giken on 06-23-2004 at 07:56 AM

I agreed with nickname cutoff, sometimes nicks are too long :(

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by edkwh on 06-24-2004 at 04:26 PM

Don't know if the latest version will work for you guys, it's supposed to fix the 'working on desktop only' bug and cuts the nickname short. But it's works alrite on the PC i use for development purpose, cause the dll is automatically registered each time I compile the code. But can't seem to get it installed on my virtual PC, just don't seem to be there. Just try it out first. There will be message box poping up for debug purposes, if it works, tell me, I'll remove that and move to the next feature, sending to contact once he/she comes online.

Rename it to .msi again please tq.

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by giken on 06-25-2004 at 06:39 AM

i'll try it thanks :)

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by giken on 07-07-2004 at 06:15 AM

ed any news about new version?
I like sending when contact comes online feature
also current version shows debug windows and they are not needed anymore :)

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by jameslives on 09-01-2004 at 10:22 AM

When i try install it it says u need .net framework or summat. I downloaded that then it still says it.
Could u make a difrent setup or summat?

James

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by giken on 09-07-2004 at 12:33 PM

edkwh seems to be missing :(

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by edkwh on 09-07-2004 at 03:33 PM

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long absence, been kinda busy with exams and all. Final exam and the end of high school will be after December 3rd, haha, so hopefully after that I can work on things again. Meanwhile, I'll try my best to do what I can.

And now actually got the concept up and working, as in the context menu plugin actually sending the offline recipient’s name and the filename to an external proggy. So from there, the external proggy will work with MSN to keep track on people who comes online and match that with the offline file list. So, that'll work I guess, but now there's another problem.

It seems that without the debug message box, the file sender menu wont appear in the context menu. It's kinda weird, I got my head cracking why it wouldn't work without the message box, been adding dummy procedures in it and still no hope. Well, will try and debug things further, and if anyone has any idea on how context menu works and all that, please reply back on how the problem can be solved. Maybe its cause of the new MSN Messenger API instances created with each right click. Oh well, can't be sure.

Cya guys around,
Edk ;)

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by giken on 09-17-2004 at 12:04 PM

Sorry I'm not a programmer so I cannot help you
I hope you will solve all issues :)
Your add-on is very useful ;)

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by renio on 09-28-2004 at 08:09 AM

yeah ed ..? What's up with the plug-in (H)

RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by miniwarrior on 04-01-2006 at 07:48 AM

Are u People Dumb or just stupid....C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Username here**\SendTo

(Im only 13yrs. too :P I know that screems nurd but Im also most athlatic nurd on planet)

RE: RE: Suggestion: right-click 'Send to Messenger contact' plug-in by CookieRevised on 04-01-2006 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by miniwarrior
Are u People Dumb or just stupid....C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Username here**\SendTo

(Im only 13yrs. too :P I know that screems nurd but Im also most athlatic nurd on planet)

Which will:
A) not be what the OP requested (he requested a direct in-menu context item)
B) not be able to send a file to a specific contact
C) not work with Messenger

Also, please do not revive old threads (not to mention with a post which isn't even correct and which flames everybody in this thread).