Shoutbox

Emoticon maker v4 - my program - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Emoticon maker v4 - my program (/showthread.php?tid=28538)

Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-12-2004 at 03:37 AM

note My host is currently down, and will be back in a few days. I apologize for the inconvinience. In the mean time, you can use this link: http://ben_gm.tripod.com/emoticon_v5beta.zip to download the fifth version, still a beta. It has all the basic of version 4, but with some variations. Have fun:).

In case the above link isn't working, you can use this one: http://rebelsean.kaonet.net/emoticon_v5beta.zip - Special thanks to XxRebelSeanxX!

[Image: emo4_screen.png]

Direct Download - Screenshot - CrazyClown2's website

Hi all,
  I'm new here and I wanted to show you my last work, Emoticon maker v4. As the screenshots show you, this is a professional quality program. You can create over 29,262,643,200,000 different emoticons for MSN and other chatting activities (but everyone knows that msn is the best, right?), forums, websites and much more! . I heard a lot of suggestions over versions and here are the features:

-A lot of selectable parts
-4 dirrection movable parts
-Saving images as BMP and saving work
-Help file
-MSN Block Checker - not made by me, and not 100% right
-Link section, which I bet no one checks :P
-Friendly interface
- Part randomizer for those who lack of imagination
- Fullscreen option
- Printing emoticon
- Zoom in/zoom out
-Colorable rectangle for those you want to resave the emoticons as transparent GIFs
-Totally free
-No spywares or adwares
-And much more!

Feedbacks and constructive comments are welcomed!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Varish on 07-12-2004 at 04:35 AM

this is one great tool............works great (but it takes time to load :()
also, you should re-code the restart button. (i mean some other way of restarting)

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by matty on 07-12-2004 at 05:03 AM

Awesome program few problems, when creating custom emoticons the quality of them is downgraded so much that it appears just as a white image. Also the block check you have doesn't accept shift+2 for the @ symbol so the email checker dont work.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Joe on 07-12-2004 at 05:35 AM

WOW, talk about using your Spare Time:O:O

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Chop on 07-12-2004 at 05:37 AM

and where is the red color for the face :o?

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Joe on 07-12-2004 at 05:57 AM

or a darker black... instead of more grey

RE: RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Grue on 07-12-2004 at 07:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Awesome program few problems, when creating custom emoticons the quality of them is downgraded so much that it appears just as a white image. Also the block check you have doesn't accept shift+2 for the @ symbol so the email checker dont work.

It says to only enter the first part of the email (not the @hotmail or @yahoo part) but it doesn't seem to work anyways... It always says the contact is offline even though i know they are online. Cool program though, Good work(Y)
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-12-2004 at 02:58 PM

Grue explained it well. The problem with the Block Checker is that it is linked to 7 different servers, where it checks if the user is online/offline. Some servers can be down, some can have false results sometimes, but it seems like it only works once in a few tries.

gerardo_cm2: In the fourth version, I decided to make the faces lighter so the quality of emoticons becomes better. Example: I don't want the eyes, eyebrows, mouths, etc. to have a black outline on a light-grey face. And the MSN emoticons' part aren't black outlined either.

You could still download version 2 (or 3?^o)), which I believe has red faces.(H)

Chloe: What do you mean by: "also, you should re-code the restart button. (i mean some other way of restarting)"?

I'm glad you liked my program :).

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Mike on 07-12-2004 at 03:41 PM

Very nice!
Btw may i ask in what programing language did you make it...? :)
I used an API spy but the class it returns me is "ThunderRTForum".
This looks like VB forms but it isnt.
VB forms are "ThunderRTForm6" or something like that... *-)

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Varish on 07-12-2004 at 03:43 PM

When i press the reset buttion, it restarts the whole program, which was a bit slow. Can it be done in any other way? (for example, clear all the images....(without restarting the whole program))

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Stigmata on 07-12-2004 at 04:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Also the block check you have doesn't accept shift+2 for the @ symbol so the email checker dont work.

it dont except @ full stop

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-12-2004 at 04:09 PM

Mike2: Even if it will look less professional, it was made with Game Maker 5.2 and 5.3A (www.gamemaker.nl). GM tends to have a bad reputation because of the low age average members it has. Users tried to make it to popular sites with bad/normal games and its reputation went down quite fast. Trust me, very good and professional quality games were made with it, as weel as programs. You can www.downloads.com search for some, or check out www.shawn64.com, www.free-windows-games.com (who offered me 50 bucks for my program, but I refused:S) and the game maker's site for good games.

Chloe: I'm sorry if I first misunderstood you, I wil make it much faster (no intro) when it will refresh. I added the intro last but didn't pay attention to that button! Thanks a lot!;)

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Guido on 07-12-2004 at 05:25 PM

Someone submit this too mess.be, it's a nice tool (Y)

RE: RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Mike on 07-12-2004 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CrazyClown2
Mike2: Even if it will look less professional, it was made with Game Maker 5.2 and 5.3A (www.gamemaker.nl). GM tends to have a bad reputation because of the low age average members it has. Users tried to make it to popular sites with bad/normal games and its reputation went down quite fast. Trust me, very good and professional quality games were made with it, as weel as programs. You can www.downloads.com search for some, or check out www.shawn64.com, www.free-windows-games.com (who offered me 50 bucks for my program, but I refused:S) and the game maker's site for good games.
Game maker...8-)
I also have it too...
But i cant imagine this program making programs!:^)
Btw do you plan to release the 'source' ?
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-12-2004 at 06:45 PM

I e-mailed them, asking them to buy it. They replied fast saying they were interrested; I added a lot of banners, links and all to mess.be, I e-mailed them back but I never heard of them again... I re-e-mailed them a few times, still out of answer!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by dotNorma on 07-12-2004 at 06:54 PM

Crazy Clown , I must say this is excellent work. :gfdrin:

This should be subbmited to Mess.be!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Guido on 07-12-2004 at 07:05 PM

quote:
I e-mailed them, asking them to buy it. They replied fast saying they were interrested; I added a lot of banners, links and all to mess.be, I e-mailed them back but I never heard of them again... I re-e-mailed them a few times, still out of answer!
Oh... buy it? We were just talking about them posting an article about your program in their news page.
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-12-2004 at 07:40 PM

Oh, sorry for the confusion! Well, I e-mailed them also simply to put it in the news, as you said. I also PMed Patchou, for the same issue but I doubt he'll put it on msgplus.net, as it isn't related (and I don't pay for publicity). Guido, if you want to write an article, then go ahead! That would be much appreciated!

Mike2: I'm sorry, but I won't release the source code...

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 07-13-2004 at 12:44 PM

Hey, great work.
Problem : using the dark blue sweat drop, image becomes a coloured block with the drop being only part visible.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=277043]

Question: Is bitmap the only format you can save the image in?

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-13-2004 at 12:57 PM

Thanks much for the bug report Vazza. I uploaded a newer version correcting this bug, and the one Chloe reported too. Thank you!

And yes, the only format that you can save as is BMP. I'm trying to learn the Jpg file structure for a better saving system... I first wanted to give transparent Gifs a try, but because of the hardness and the Gifs copyrights, I stopped.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Mike on 07-13-2004 at 01:23 PM

quote:

And yes, the only format that you can save as is BMP. I'm trying to learn the Jpg file structure for a better saving system... I first wanted to give transparent Gifs a try, but because of the hardness and the Gifs copyrights, I stopped.
Did you try png?
Because png supports transparency too...
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Dempsey on 07-13-2004 at 02:46 PM

and the GIF copyrights ran out worldwide on the 8th July this year

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CookieRevised on 07-13-2004 at 02:56 PM

indeed... and do not put much time in jpg as this is a lossy graphic format and will *beep* up the saved emoticons. Your first choice should be PNG, as this is the format used by Messenger itself, because it supports alpha-transparency and 24bit colors. After that, your second choice should be GIF, third choice BMP and as last (for the dodgy people :p) JPG....

PS: your site can only be viewed correctly with MSIE; don't use MSIE-specific code, although widely used, that is not the standard (=not good)

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by KeyStorm on 07-13-2004 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
your second choice should be GIF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF#History

If MSIE would get PNG's alpha-channel properly, but it doesn't :mipdodgy:.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CookieRevised on 07-13-2004 at 03:11 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
quote:
If MSIE would get alpha-channel properly, but it doesn't :mipdodgy:.
I don't get that, sorry... MSIE has nothing todo with choosing PNG as first choice or GIF as second :/

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-13-2004 at 03:15 PM

[/OFF TOPIC] :)

You're right, I shouldn't really use Jpgs, as they are most-likely only good for big images. I found a few PNG sites that can help me, but heck it's confusing! I would rather create my own file type:P but then msn wouldn't read it!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CookieRevised on 07-13-2004 at 03:19 PM

there are excellent free PNG-libraries, so you don't need to know all the techstuff. (But I don't know if you can use/import those libraries into your programming language you use)

Anyways, to learn about PNG, all you need is:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/
=> http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/book/toc.html

PS: PNG seems like a complicated format at first (if you are new to fileformats), but is actualy a very easy to understand and strait forward format...

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by KeyStorm on 07-13-2004 at 03:23 PM

quote:
[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
quote:
If MSIE would get alpha-channel properly, but it doesn't :mipdodgy:.
I don't get that, sorry... MSIE has nothing todo with choosing PNG as first choice or GIF as second :/
That was a rather off-topic comment ;)

What I mean is that using GIF compression is no longer allowed by international patents. The last one allowing it: Canada, but it expired on 7 July.

PNG is thougt to replace GIF in the web environment, but MSIE isn't compatible with PNG's 8bit alpha channel. That's what it's stopping many people from using it (at all) ;)
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vantage on 07-13-2004 at 04:21 PM

maybe you should try making it save as a .jpg or .gif sure there's some color loss, but im sure you can work around it

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CookieRevised on 07-13-2004 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
maybe you should try making it save as a .jpg or .gif sure there's some color loss, but im sure you can work around it
sorry, but this is nonsense and doesn't make any sense...
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 07-13-2004 at 08:43 PM

Another question about image saving: Why isn't the bitmap recognised by any other program except paint? I mean, I was going to save it as another format, but other image program e.g Microsoft Photo Editor or Photoshop 6, it tells me it can't read the file. And paints only letting me save as bitmap or gif( with lose of colouring). 

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CookieRevised on 07-13-2004 at 08:53 PM

You proberly didn't use the proper fileformatfilter to read it with; in the file select menu in other programs, you often have to select which type of file you are going to open...

The BMP that is saved is a valid BMP which can be read by any program supporting BMP's...

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
as bitmap or gif (with loss of colouring).
Since the emoticon created by the program has only a maximum of 256 colors, there will be no loss if you save it to GIF (and keep the 256colors)...
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by ~INVASION~ on 07-13-2004 at 10:00 PM

ok so i made myself a nice lil zombie emoticon:P  and then i got bak and the emo doesnt work plus my typing doesnt work WTF is up with that???

edit: my typing is bak but the emos are saving in a white colour:Sand u cant see them

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-13-2004 at 11:04 PM

~INVASION~: Is that happening when you are trying to use the emoticons in MSN, or saving with the program itself? If it is the msn issue, I suggest you to resave the image to another file format; there is nothing else I can do. Some people have reported this before, odd.

CookieRevised: Depending on what program you are using, it is very possible that the image looses quality. If I export (not saving) a small image with PaintShop Pro7 in GIF, it will look awfull.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CookieRevised on 07-13-2004 at 11:43 PM

quote:
CookieRevised: Depending on what program you are using, it is very possible that the image looses quality. If I export (not saving) a small image with PaintShop Pro7 in GIF, it will look awfull.
That's not correct... PSP is even one of the few programs that enables you to alter/tweak graphicformats in every possible way of that specific format... (even Photoshop lacks the same ability as PSP has on that area...)

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 07-14-2004 at 03:37 AM

I just checked it, and you are right. My GIFs optimization options weren't set good. héhé!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-08-2004 at 03:27 PM

I know this might be bad to bring this up again, but the link for the download isn't workin. Would anyone mind postin it as a attachment or something?

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-08-2004 at 03:49 PM

My host has enconter some problems. The reseller plan it was runnign on has discontinued; so they are switching server, which may take a week. If you add me on msn I'll gladly send it to you! beni_quimper@hotmail.com

Emoticon maker v5 news:
-save as gif, png and bitmap (done)
-will have a layer section at the bottom, to: move, delete and set image alpha of the current part (half-done)
-will have it's own "paint" program incorporated (yet to be started)
-html-based help file (half-done)
-dedicated website for online support and emoticon testing (done)
-more parts (yet to be started)
-top menu for better navigation (half-done)

Feel free tp post your suggestions!

I apologize for the host inconvinience,
CrazyClown2

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-08-2004 at 03:58 PM

Hmmm, why not just post it in here as a attachment? That would be the best thing to do so people on the fourms can get it to.. Also good luck on v5!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 08-08-2004 at 04:05 PM

Hmmmm....looking good. Good Luck with it

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Plik on 08-08-2004 at 04:30 PM

XxRebelSeanxX: theres a uploaded file size limit i think, dunno what it is. So the programs probaly to big

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-08-2004 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
XxRebelSeanxX: theres a uploaded file size limit i think, dunno what it is. So the programs probaly to big

Ya your right. I'll just get it in msn...:)
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-08-2004 at 05:13 PM

I'll edit my first post with a link to version 5 beta. It has all version has (exept the block checker) plus more. Note that it's not yet finished!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-08-2004 at 05:28 PM

This beta version is awesome! I like it. I give it, a 8 of 10! (Y) Nice work!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Eljay on 08-08-2004 at 05:34 PM

i dont know if this is just me but when i end the beta version i get extreme lag and cant do anything for about 30 seconds :S

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-08-2004 at 05:37 PM

I don't wene I exit it, it closes. No problem. But I'm on Windows98SE...:undecided:

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-08-2004 at 05:40 PM

I couldn't recreate the "bug" either. Try to open it again, and see if it does the same thing. If so, then try rebooting your computer. Afterwars, if it still lags, give us your system specifications so we can look further to it.

I am also running on Windows 98SE.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 08-08-2004 at 05:48 PM

I don't know if its just me, but the link for the beta version isn't working. I'm getting the following up:

This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Tochjo on 08-08-2004 at 06:00 PM

Lycos has hotlink protection.
I think you should be able to download the file if you go to http://ben_gm.tripod.com first, and then type http://ben_gm.tripod.com/emoticon_v5beta.zip in the address bar.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 08-08-2004 at 06:16 PM

I can't even get it that way...Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer....:p

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-08-2004 at 06:17 PM

Both links work for me. Try to drag the link to the adress bar.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 08-08-2004 at 06:26 PM

:$
Awfie dodgy btyahoo! browser. Put the link into the normal IE and worked fine.

* Vazza nows goes off to find out why yahoo! doesn't like lycos :p

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-08-2004 at 06:30 PM

How bout this! Sean hosts the file for now till CrazyClowns2's service (better one) is back up?

Hehehe, if you want me to remove it CrazyClown2, just tell me ;-).

CrazyClown2's Emoticon_v5BETA.zip Click Here To Download! :d

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-08-2004 at 06:32 PM

Thanks XxRebelSeanxX, but it is very temporary, as the host is supposed to be back in 2-3 days. (I think that it'll take a week or so, though).

I'll edit the first post with the new link. Thanks alot!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-08-2004 at 06:34 PM

No problem. Just pm me wene it's back up or contact me some how.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by TGG on 08-08-2004 at 07:20 PM

great one CrazyClown2, v5 is excellent!!!!!

one thing: why are there two extras buttons, and only one set of extras? otherwise it's excellent

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 08-08-2004 at 07:29 PM

Hey there

I know that this is just a beta version but I tried to export as a gif and png formats and get the following error. I'm on Win 98 SE

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-08-2004 at 08:09 PM

Did you unzip the the executable? Looks like you didn't ;)

that_ginger_guy: The two extra tabs are the same in case you want to have more than one, people are reporting this, but it is actually intented. It will be well detailed in the help file, and in the program itself (where the layer options will be - which isn't finished yet).

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 08-08-2004 at 08:18 PM

emmm... yeah. just to check, I deleted it and then re unzipped it into another folder, ran the program, made a emoticon and then when back to export and same problem.

EDIT: If its only me thats having this problem, I'll hold off and wait for the final version to come out :D

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Moo on 08-08-2004 at 08:24 PM

I dont get errors and I love it!

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-08-2004 at 09:37 PM

It seems like the program isn't exporting the DLL image convertor at start-up. Download the attached file and place it on the same folder as the program.

Usually, this shouldn't happen and I am nowhere sure this method will work:S. Hopefully it will.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Vazza on 08-09-2004 at 03:25 PM

Well, I don't know what else to do. I downloaded and unzipped the file. Though now, even though I still get the error, it automatically saves it to .bmp. Don't worry about it. I'll wait till the final version comes out.

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-09-2004 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Well, I don't know what else to do. I downloaded and unzipped the file. Though now, even though I still get the error, it automatically saves it to .bmp. Don't worry about it. I'll wait till the final version comes out.

It saves it to a bitmap to then convert it to png/gif, to finaly delete the bmp. The coding part of the convertion is all done, so it should be the same in the final version. You can PM me your computer stats, so I can look further into the problem.

regards,
CrazyClown2
RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-11-2004 at 02:14 AM

Erm, I can't save this a a .gif. Ther is no option to save it as that.:ndecided: Is there a preference I need to put on to get it to let me save as a gif?

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-11-2004 at 03:27 PM

In this version it won't work, I figured out what Vazza's problem was, and it will occure to everyone. To save as an image, click on Image on the top menu, then Export and then select the image type you want. I will make it so that you can save as .emo, .bmp, .png and .gif in the "middle" menu. I'll soon update the version and edit this post, with a better version.

CrazyClown2

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by Jimcando on 08-21-2004 at 02:59 PM

a brill emoticon creator, cant wait til the final version is out with no bugs

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 05:18 PM

When is emoticon maker v5 going to be released?

RE: Emoticon maker v4 - my program by CrazyClown2 on 08-22-2004 at 05:19 PM

I don't really know for now. Maybe two weeks, maybe more. I'll let you all know when it'll be finished ;), don't worry about it!