Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error (/showthread.php?tid=29967)

Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by RaveRod on 08-15-2004 at 09:11 AM

Heya guys. I'm having some problems installing Messenger Plus! v3.01.94 silently.

The original filename is "MsgPlus-301.exe" and when running the command:

code:
MsgPlus-301.exe /silentinstallnosponsor
it runs fine BUT if I rename the file to "MSGPLUS.EXE" (or anything else for that matter) and run the command:
code:
MSGPLUS.EXE /silentinstallnosponsor
I get an "access denied" error.

Is anyone else having this problem?
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by RaceProUK on 08-15-2004 at 10:46 AM

The solution is simple: don't rename it!

I'm not sure why you'd want to rename it anyway.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by RaveRod on 08-15-2004 at 11:11 AM

I rename it because I install it via an unattended Windows CD and I also have an updates CD. That update CD get's copyied over the top of the original files...

You can see my problem. If I leave it that way, and the next version comes out, I'll have 2 separate files and that won't work. :(

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by Menthix on 08-15-2004 at 05:53 PM

I just tried to recreate your problem...

• Launched "MsgPlus-301.exe /silentinstallnosponsor". No problem.
  • Renamed MsgPlus-301.exe to MsgPlus.exe.
  • Launched "MsgPlus.exe /silentinstallnosponsor". And got the access denied window you tell about.
  • At this moment i noticed that Plus! wasn't hooked in MSN anymore, when i took a look at the MsgPlus! install folder i noticed msgplus.exe was gone.
  • Launched "MsgPlus.exe" (not silent, file renamed). I got the access denied error again, this time after the sponsor agreement.
  • Tried to uninstall MsgPlus!. It gave me an error saying there was something wrong with the installation and removed Plus! from the Software List without removing the actual program.
  • Deleted all files from the MsgPlus! installation folder.
  • Launched "MsgPlus-301.exe" (no silent, original filename). This time it installs like it should again.

Tested on:
- Windows XP SP1
- MSN Messenger v6.2
- Messenger Plus! v3.01.94

I understand your problem, agree there should be some fix for it.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by RaceProUK on 08-15-2004 at 07:47 PM

Maybe you shouldn't try renaming it to MsgPlus.exe. Try MsgPlus3.exe instead.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by Millenium_edition on 08-15-2004 at 08:10 PM

any decent installation should be able to install with any filename. don't act as if nothing happened just because it's msgplus

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by Menthix on 08-15-2004 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
any decent installation should be able to install with any filename
Agree with that and that's why i won't check raceprouk's suggestion. Plus! should be able to either install it the proper way with any filename or just refuse to install when the filename isn't original to avoid problems. Although the last option seems a bit cheap and doesn't help the topicstarter.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by RaveRod on 08-16-2004 at 02:43 AM

I've tried this on at least 5 computers with about 10 different installations of Windows XP (new and old, reinstalls etc.).

All exhibit the same characteristics. If I download the .zip file from one of the SimTel mirrors, I still cannot rename the file but the filename is now "MsgPlus Setup.exe".

I don't know what is going on and after asking around the net, there are quite a few people with this problem so it's not just localized to me and my setup.

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Maybe you shouldn't try renaming it to MsgPlus.exe. Try MsgPlus3.exe instead.

It doesn't matter what I rename it to. If I modify the filename in anyway, it ceases to function.

edit: double post removed.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by Patchou on 08-16-2004 at 07:15 AM

Arf... I know why this is happening.... stupid installer... that will be fixed in the next released version, you can count on it.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by RaveRod on 08-16-2004 at 07:32 AM

Sweet. Thankyou again Patchou.

Any idea when the next version will be available?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by Patchou on 08-16-2004 at 07:49 AM

Nope no idea... I just fixed this bug in the installer and it's the first time I've coded something in Plus! since June... it's good to be back :).

Note: the setup you have currently should always work except if it's named "msgplus.exe", "msgplus1.exe" or "msgplus2.exe". Any other name (including "msgplus3.exe" for example") should work as fine as the default one. However, as I just said, it has been fixed for version 3.10.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.01.94 Installation Error by RaveRod on 08-16-2004 at 08:14 AM

Ok kool. Thanks Patchou.

Um... keep up the good work when you do it... :P