Shoutbox

cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? (/showthread.php?tid=30409)

cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-25-2004 at 12:58 AM

hi

i have a problem wif msn. i got msn plus but i dun think thas my problem. recently i did registry clean out (wishin i didnt), n now i cant see display pics, send or receive files in msn.

in the past, i could see pic n send/receive stuff. i think i might of deleted a msn file required to see pic n send/receive.

can ne1 help me? ive asked this at many forums b4, not many know wot can be done.

im not sure if this right place to post, if not, just delete/move this thread. i also post in the help n support forum

thx

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Plik on 08-25-2004 at 01:23 AM

Try re-installing MSN Messinger, because that should replace any files or registry keys that you deleted.

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-25-2004 at 04:53 AM

yeh i tried that, i uninstall, then install again. but still doesnt fix it.

????

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by marissa on 08-25-2004 at 04:54 AM

Do you have "show display pictures from others in instant message conversations?"

click your name>personal settings> personal tab?

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-25-2004 at 11:43 PM

yeh i do. i used to could see pics n send/receive files. but now it wont work :(

thx

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by matty on 08-26-2004 at 12:05 AM

Can you post a picture of your conversation window for us? I am wondering about the layout and specific options that are there for you to choose from thanks.

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by lopardo on 08-26-2004 at 02:32 AM

What OS are you using? If you have Windows ME, 2000 or XP you could try System Restore.

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-26-2004 at 07:40 AM

Matty. - i dun understand wot u mean? u want screenshot of a convo window? wot options u mean? ill get pic when  im online at home.

lopardo - im usin xp, but i tried restore too.

thx for replies :)

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by lopardo on 08-26-2004 at 03:37 PM

Try a clean reinstall.

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-27-2004 at 04:00 AM

k, let me try that. see wot happens. thx

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by marissa on 08-27-2004 at 04:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Skitz
Matty. - i dun understand wot u mean? u want screenshot of a convo window? wot options u mean? ill get pic when  im online at home.

With a conversation open press the "prt scr" button, somewhere in the area above the arrow buttons.  Just to show us a screen shot. :undecided:

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-27-2004 at 04:17 AM

here scrn shot. not sure wot u can get out of it tho:S

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by marissa on 08-27-2004 at 04:32 AM

:S well the display pictures are showing now, unless it just shows the msn guy the whole time. or you did a clean rinstall?:S

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by matty on 08-27-2004 at 04:39 AM

Ok so from what I am getting from this your Display Pic is transfered over find but all your contacts display pics are not correct?

Do you have a proxy set up on the computer that could be preventing files to be sent and DPs to be recieved?

If you are unsure then do this. Open MSN Messenger click Tools > Options > Connection

If I use a proxy server is checked try unchecking it and signing out and back into MSN and see if you can recieve DPs. Now as for the files not being sent do you get an error OR do the contacts just not recieve the invitation.

If you use windows XP you can try removing all of the Display Pictures.
C:\Documents and Settings\%user_name%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Delete all files that are .bins
If you dont see the Local Settings folder you need to show hidden files and folders
(Tools > Folder Options > View > Check Show hidden files and folders and uncheck hide protected system files)

Now in the Temp int files you will have to have the Type column shown to see which are Bin Files.

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-27-2004 at 05:49 AM

okay first off, the msn green dude is always there marissa. i used to could see other ppl's pics

2nd, matty - i tried the full reinstall thing. i delete those registry keys n installed them again. still didnt work.

now, when some tries to send me file, it says it cant be saved or somethng? it tells me to choose diff name/file or woteva. then i do, but then the dl wont start, n it cancels by itself.

i just did this just then

this is soooo gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do u know ne other possible reasons y this wont work?
does msn have a contact email? for help?

oh, i forgot to add, my chat logs, the XML documents, for some reason, few wks ago, changed from being PERSON1@hotmail.com to PERSON1@3459093405

n then i noticed all these new contacts on my list????

but then couple days later, it worked out fine

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Plik on 08-27-2004 at 11:33 AM

quote:
now, when some tries to send me file, it says it cant be saved or somethng?
I keep getting that but i just carry on as normal and doesnt do anything to it
RE: RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-28-2004 at 01:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
quote:
now, when some tries to send me file, it says it cant be saved or somethng?
I keep getting that but i just carry on as normal and doesnt do anything to it

so can u receive the file?
RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Plik on 08-28-2004 at 09:42 AM

Yes, it pops up the save file dialog. And i just enter the filename and it does it

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-29-2004 at 04:21 AM

when some1 sends me file, i click accept, then the attached pic message pops up.

ne1 know wot it means?

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by lopardo on 08-29-2004 at 06:02 PM

Did you try the clean reinstall I suggested?

Go to Messenger > Tools > Options > Messages. Check that the selected folders for file transfers and chat logging exist.

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by matty on 08-29-2004 at 07:27 PM

quote:
when some1 sends me file, i click accept, then the attached pic message pops up.

ne1 know wot it means?

Open MSN Messenger
Click Tools > Click Options > Click Messages
Under where it says File Transfers you will want it to say the following.
C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\My Documents\My Received Files

If it doesn't open your My Documents folder and Create a folder with the name My Recieved Files and try that. If it does exist try Right Clicking the folder and selecting Properties and taking the check mark out of Read Only if there is one.
RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-31-2004 at 03:32 AM

that dun work either. stupid msn......

thx

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by .blade// on 08-31-2004 at 04:51 PM

This may be a little different than any other suggestion so far but:
1) Have you installed all of the Windows Update updates?
2) Do you have an Anti-Virus, if so, what one? (e.g. Norton, McAffee, etc.)
3) If you have an AV, have you done a full system scan?
4) Have you done an ad/spyware scan using Adaware, Spybot, or another similar program?

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 08-31-2004 at 11:39 PM

i dun have ALL windows updates, but all necessary ones. i dun update outlook program n stuff cos i dun use it.

yes i have norton AV n firewall. i did full scan last wk.

i used to have spybot, but i think that was the reason msn started not showin pics n not being able to send/receive files

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by lopardo on 09-01-2004 at 10:11 PM

quote:
i used to have spybot, but i think that was the reason msn started not showin pics n not being able to send/receive files

I don't think so...

Did you try the clean reinstall I suggested??
RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 09-02-2004 at 02:18 AM

okay...

which one is the clean reinstall?

thx

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by lopardo on 09-02-2004 at 02:21 AM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=29...d=284893#pid284893

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 09-02-2004 at 02:26 AM

oh, yup yup, i tried that when u posted like last wk or woteva. it didnt fix it.

do u know if the msn come out wif newer version, would it fix it? cos im thinkin somethin is up wif the hd. cos i cant seem to connect to kazaa/winmx either :(

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by lhunath on 09-02-2004 at 10:42 AM

skitz, the problem with you is that u can't set up a direct connection to transfer the display pictures. I get this too sometimes but it gets fixed later automatically; I presume it has something to do with either you or your contact being unable to host. (Set up a connection). Normally the msn messenger hotmail server should host instead then, but there's some very odd things going on there. I don't see any logic in the protocol anymore; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Bottom line is; make sure your pc can host and you'll probably fix your problems.

Now, since you said the problem just occured, it might be reasonable to assume that you have a worm / trojan / virus / .. running on your pc which prevents it from making proper connections. Check your machine first, I'd advice 'The Cleaner' from 'Moosoft' :
<a href="http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/">get it here</a>

If that doesn't resolve your problem; then you will need to investigate deeper into your network settings. If you have a router, firewall (hardware (a box) or software (a program)), gateway, proxy, .. you will need to try and configure that to allow for it to let your pc host msn connections. These devices are something that's connected between your internet modem and your pc :

INTERNET ===>== MODEM ===>== ROUTER / ... ===>== YOUR PC

if you have a router, you'll need to set it up; if not, then that can't be the cause of your problems. If you need to set it up; you'll need to get it to forward these ports :
IN TCP 6891 - 6900
IN TCP 1863
IN UDP 1863
IN UDP 5190
IN UDP 6901
IN TCP 6901
(IN means, the forward lets data enter your pc over the given port. TCP means the data uses the TCP protocol; just like UDP...)

Good luck.

Edit:
You said you can't connect to kazaa / winmx etc either ? Then yes, something is definately wrong with your connection. If not a virus, then you'll need to forward more ports (these only allow msn messenger to establish connections to people properly; not kazaa etc.) I don't know the port numbers for kazaa; just do a google search for "forward ports kazaa" or something like that.

RE: cant see display pic? n cant send/receive files in msn? by Skitz on 09-03-2004 at 02:48 AM

wow... thx for that, but i dun know much bout wot u said. i just use comp.. dun know mcuh else lolll

how do i know wot ports r open? n how do i open more?