Shoutbox

Suggestion: Boss Protection - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Boss Protection (/showthread.php?tid=30587)

Suggestion: Boss Protection by Pep^UK®© on 08-28-2004 at 01:36 AM

I dont know if anyone has already suggested it, or if theres a plug in for it...but why not have a password for the boss protection feature, the same as the one for the Lock one. I've been caught in work a few times due to someone clicking on the hidden system tray icon and it popping up with all my converstations. A password (enabled by right click) could be handy for people who want to hide their msn, and make it that extra bit secure.

:)

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by lopardo on 08-28-2004 at 01:41 AM

Already suggested, but Patchou hasn't said anything yet.

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by BEWARE^^ on 08-29-2004 at 03:55 PM

you can put a lock on your preferences

preferences>>>privacy protection>>>passwords>>>enable preferences lock down then fill in a password and nobody can come into your setting accept when they know the p/w
;)

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by CookieRevised on 08-29-2004 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
Already suggested, but Patchou hasn't said anything yet.
Yep...

also, see my previous suggestion which lists the possebilities if you make it into 1 feature:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=28...d=280591#pid280591

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by Anubis on 08-29-2004 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^

you can put a lock on your preferences

preferences>>>privacy protection>>>passwords>>>enable preferences lock down then fill in a password and nobody can come into your setting accept when they know the p/w

That doesn't actually have anything really to do with what he wanted, he wanted something that locks boss protection when started, not the options to start Boss Protection
RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by michael_m91 on 09-05-2004 at 02:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pep^UK®©
I dont know if anyone has already suggested it, or if theres a plug in for it...but why not have a password for the boss protection feature, the same as the one for the Lock one. I've been caught in work a few times due to someone clicking on the hidden system tray icon and it popping up with all my converstations. A password (enabled by right click) could be handy for people who want to hide their msn, and make it that extra bit secure.

:)

I dunno then there would be no point to Lock Messenger. But i do see what the problem is here. People accendentally look at what that is at work.

Suggestions:
1. Change The Picture (If They Already Know What the picture is suppsoed to be they might double click it to see what you have going on with that program but if you change it they may not recognze it and thus they may leave it alone)

2. If your on NT/2000/XP you can lock the PC.

;)
RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by FrozernFire on 09-07-2004 at 09:45 AM

lets say my parents are coming. i quickly do boss protection. then they click it and out comes something that demands a password. then my parents will ask what is this. i type in my password and out comes msn. back to square one. but i suppose in some situations it will still help. changing the icon to something really innocent is also good

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by guesswho on 09-07-2004 at 05:58 PM

Here's the best one, change it to a signed out messenger icon

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by saralk on 09-07-2004 at 07:06 PM

but in many work situations ur not even supposed to have msn messenger installed, so changing it to signed out wont help, i used to have a completely transparent icon, and i loaded msn messenger last, so it looked like there was nothing there

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by FrozernFire on 09-08-2004 at 10:15 AM

the signed out icon is a good one. thnx. but won't a transparent icon leave a big empty space, even though it is loaded last?
edit: but on the other hand, i don't think anyone would click on the empty space

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by CookieRevised on 09-08-2004 at 11:50 AM

Well, I think I have the ultimate solution.... but this must be implemented by Patchou though, nothing we can do....

in addition to the changeable icon (and the combined use of messenger lock and boss protection) you can do this:

In the preferences, enter the path and file to an application which should start up when double clicking on the icon.
How to get to Messenger then? Easy, by holding <CTRL> or <SHIFT> or something similar (also adjustable in the preferences) while double clicking....

In that way, your boss or parents can double click on the icon (eg: excelicon) all they want, they only will get the application (eg: excel), not msn messenger....

:D

how's that for an idea?
(at least if it is possible though)

RE: RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by michael_m91 on 09-08-2004 at 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Well, I think I have the ultimate solution.... but this must be implemented by Patchou though, nothing we can do....

in addition to the changeable icon (and the combined use of messenger lock and boss protection) you can do this:

In the preferences, enter the path and file to an application which should start up when double clicking on the icon.
How to get to Messenger then? Easy, by holding <CTRL> or <SHIFT> or something similar (also adjustable in the preferences) while double clicking....

In that way, your boss or parents can double click on the icon (eg: excelicon) all they want, they only will get the application (eg: excel), not msn messenger....

how's that for an idea?

And just how would we get back in?
RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by andrey on 09-08-2004 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
And just how would we get back in?
quote:
Easy, by holding <CTRL> or <SHIFT> or something similar (also adjustable in the preferences) while double clicking....

a great idea cookie ! :D
i hope patchou can include it in the next versions
RE: RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by Millenium_edition on 09-08-2004 at 01:08 PM

quote:

how's that for an idea?

i believe that's not hard to do at all, even as a standalone app...
RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by FrozernFire on 09-09-2004 at 05:15 AM

wow. that's a good idea. hope ms word will be used. the most innocent.

RE: Suggestion: Boss Protection by plagiator208976 on 09-11-2004 at 11:09 AM

Good idea, Cookie.  I would like that on Plus!

But i think i would put the windows media player, or something like that. (All the people i know would not believe that i've got a tray icon for opening word :S)