Shoutbox

Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 (/showthread.php?tid=30819)

Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by cowaznik on 09-01-2004 at 07:01 AM

Hi All
I was using Microsoft Messenger 4.7 with a SIP communication service (not MSN), and after installing Windows XP SP2, Messenger 4.7 no longer allows me to connect to the SIP service, because the option is not there anymore.
I've tried using Microsoft Messenger 5.0, as recommended by Microsoft, but it works very badly, and sometimes 5.0 doesn't detect the other users online, and messes things up.

Any ideas on how to get Microsoft Messenger 4.7 and SP2 to work with a SIP communication service?
Or, how to get Microsoft Messenger 5.0 to work decently?

After SP2, the Microsoft Messenger 4.7 version is now 4.7.3000.
(thanks Microsoft!!)

thanks

cowaznik

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by Pyroteq on 09-01-2004 at 07:07 AM

Microsoft requiers an upgrade to at least 5.0 so 4.7 shouldnt really be working at all, try using the latest version (6.2)

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by JaymachRalTir on 09-01-2004 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Microsoft requiers an upgrade to at least 5.0 so 4.7 shouldnt really be working at all, try using the latest version (6.2)
That's MSN Messenger you're talking about. He's wanting to use Windows Messenger...completely seperate things.
RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by Pyroteq on 09-01-2004 at 09:35 AM

Ooops didnt read properly, but maybe he can try msn anyway..sorry

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by RaceProUK on 09-01-2004 at 09:35 AM

WinMsg also has a version 5: maybe you should try that.

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by cowaznik on 09-01-2004 at 12:29 PM

hi, yes it's Windows Messenger i'm talking about.
trouble with WinMsg 5 is that is doesn't work properly,
with certain SIP proxies, like SER (www.iptel.org).
WinMsg 5.0 sometimes 5.0 doesn't detect the other users online, and messes things up, like. messages are not delivered to online users.....
is there a way to get WinMsg 4.7.2009 to work with XP SP2?
(SP2 installs WinMsg 4.7.3000 which doesn't have the SIP option).
10x

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by CookieRevised on 09-01-2004 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
I think he's refering to windows messenger all the time in his post, which is designed for a corporate user (read: it has the SIP capability whereas Msn messenger does not).
Windows Messenger 5.x is designed for a corporate user...
Windows Messenger 4.7 is designed for the home user...
There is no talk about MSN Messenger here (which is again another messenger)...
Differences between MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger
Differences between Windows Messenger 4.7 and Windows Messenger 5.x

To clear some things up....

Windows Messenger 5.x has SIP support. However, many people report that this is buggy...

Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 apparently can also support SIP, which works better then the 5.0 version...

SP2 installs Windows Messenger 4.7.3000.

New things added (for details see here):
• Block unsafe file transfers
• Require user display name
• Windows Messenger and Windows Firewall

Things removed & bugs:
• It doesn't support the Official Messenger Add-in (to get some functions which aren't in 5.x like Hotmail support, MSN Profiles, Mobiles...)
• Mail functions don't open in hotmail anymore but in Outlook (Express)
• Auto-signing has a bug. It will not sign you in automaticly anymore, even if you checked the option.
• Also SIP support seems to be deleted...
* Messages no longer say "xxxxx says:" for your own text, only for the other contacts.

To solve it, you have to download and install Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 again. And download and install the official add-in again. All can be found on http://messenger.microsoft.com/

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by cowaznik on 09-01-2004 at 05:04 PM

hi guys thanks for the help... :)
I have also posted in

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

with subject

WM 4.7 under XP SP2 don't support SIP

but no luck till now.
have tried reinstalling Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 on a XP SP2 system, but it doesn't work (note: i am not interested in MSN, just SIP services), have also install add on for 4.7.2009
but no luck either.

when i uninstall SP2, Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 works just fine with SIP services.

!!! SO !!! stuck because I cannot use Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 on XP SP2,
thanks

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by CookieRevised on 09-01-2004 at 05:08 PM

with a friend of mine, I've installed win 4.7.2009 over the one that SP2 installs with no problem.... Of course it pops up with a dialogbox saying something like "you will loose some functionality, do you want to proceed", if you click yes, winmsg 4.7.2009 will be installed just fine...
After that download and install the addin, et voila....

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by cowaznik on 09-01-2004 at 08:56 PM

yes you're right, Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 does install and work with MSN, but not with a SIP service! :(

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by CookieRevised on 09-02-2004 at 01:57 AM

Then, it's something within SP2 itself I assume (which winmsgr uses to connect to SIP).... Did you try to remove winmsgr 4.7.3000 first (in the hope it also removes the "SIP-modules" (sorry, don't have a better name for it))? Because often, when you install an older product, newer DLL's and such aren't downgraded...

to remove winmsgr: http://messenger.jonathankay.com/allsteps.aspx?ID=7
(note to others: do not use this method to remove windows messenger if you aren't going to install another windows messenger version!!! This is not meant to "disable" windows messenger!!! instead read "CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger" for that)

RE: Messenger 4.7 doesn't work with SIP service after SP2 by cowaznik on 09-02-2004 at 01:26 PM

hi CookieRevised ... thanks for the tip,
unfortunately, it doesn't work.
I have confirmed that the problem is related to changes in the underlying RPC system in XP SP2, not just WM 4.7, and that  others with the same problem say that there is no solution at the moment.

cheers!.