Shoutbox

should i get a mac - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: should i get a mac (/showthread.php?tid=31070)

should i get a mac by saralk on 09-06-2004 at 04:59 PM

Hi, I have started to contemplate about getting a mac.

My needs arent great, all i need the mac for is
internet, office, making websites, music, movies, writing cds/dvds and mabye the occasional game.

Im sick of having a pc that is always crashing and has so many complications, from what my mac friends have told me, having a mac is refreshingly simple.

So, please can I have your honest opinion

The mac ill probably get is

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.w...21.1.2.1.0.0.0.1.0

the superdrive one.

Considering my needs, do you think i should get a mac?

RE: should i get a mac by bach_m on 09-06-2004 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

internet, office, making websites, music, movies, writing cds/dvds and mabye the occasional game.

for all of those, a mac does a great job. the iLife suite does music, movies and cds/dvds really well. Internet is the same everywhere. Microsoft Office for Mac is nearly the same, but with some specific features to take advantage of OSX.

and there are games for the Mac platform. UT2k4, Halo, and many others.

it seems like a mac is exatly what u want!

and it just works.
RE: should i get a mac by lizard.boy on 09-07-2004 at 09:32 PM

i love my friends g4 laptop running jaguior. almost as much as i like my windows box. the only things i dont like are that fact that it takes alot of work to get mice working (middle/right click and scrollwheel) if you want to manage an xbox (chipped)  its kinda hard in my past experence.

expose is an awsome part of os 10.3.

transport (or something like that) is as good as most ftp programs on windows.

the thing i dont like about mac is the fact that you get what you bought and you cant upgrade as much as you can in a windows computer.

RE: should i get a mac by wj on 09-07-2004 at 10:43 PM

I love my little 1ghz G4 iBook. It rocks!!

quote:
the thing i dont like about mac is the fact that you get what you bought and you cant upgrade as much as you can in a windows computer.

Thats a little hard to compare, A mac is based on a completly differnt platform (RISC) and the hardware will last you longer over time with a MAC.
RE: should i get a mac by bach_m on 09-07-2004 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy

yes u can. on the new iMacs, the ram, and the graphics card are simple to upgrade, and i heard that the HD isn't htat tough
RE: should i get a mac by Pyroteq on 09-08-2004 at 06:37 AM

Well i allready have 2 windows computers but if everything i had was cross-compatable and macs were just compatable with all my stuff id buy one, i love the G5...the session on that link was timed out so whats the actual model?

RE: should i get a mac by bach_m on 09-08-2004 at 10:55 AM

its an emac.

RE: should i get a mac by mad_onion on 09-08-2004 at 06:38 PM

well for your needs it seems perfect i mean if all you want is a computer that works and you dont mind buying products for it mostly from Apple its a great buy. it will last for an age becaue its so powerful and well its a mac so ,well you understand.
its only $1,300 or £920.

RE: should i get a mac by Pyroteq on 09-08-2004 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
its an emac.

Thats cool. Sounds perfect for your needs, i wouldnt touch the G4 iMacs though(duno bout G5 imacs) ..and i love the G5's(the tower ones) and all the notebooks
RE: should i get a mac by lizard.boy on 09-08-2004 at 11:55 PM

the imacs arnt that bad now unless you buy a lower model. the ones with the screen built onto the pole is good but its only g4