Shoutbox

Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message (/showthread.php?tid=31545)

Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by QWasson on 09-15-2004 at 09:00 AM

Following on from my previous thread, as suggested by buqingzi. What do you think? Should it be 'MsgPlus is as Messenger does' and stick to the convention of Enter to send a message, ctrl-enter to insert a newline?  Or should users be given the option to speicify their own keystrokes/combinations from a selection?

QW

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by lhunath on 09-15-2004 at 12:55 PM

Power to choice!

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by user27089 on 09-15-2004 at 12:57 PM

thats a completely pointless option, everyone uses the enter key, whats the point in press ctrl + enter.. its stupid.

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by lhunath on 09-15-2004 at 02:25 PM

No, it's not really, lots of people are used to alternative ways of sending messages, like Alt-S, Ctrl-Enter, etc.
Changing a habit can be harder than just using this option.
It would be selfish to deny something like this, since it allows for options, and options, are never a bad thing. Ever.

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by Millenium_edition on 09-15-2004 at 02:36 PM

it's the first time this is suggested, it's like it's almost never gonna be used. with the statistics option it will die eventually :s

where's the "NO" option?

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by Jeronimo on 09-15-2004 at 02:36 PM

The trouble is, where do you draw the line? Are we to make all the keys mappable? MSN uses Enter to send the message. Are there ways to change the keys in these other programs then?

I guess it just seems like a pointless feature as most of use a have been using MSN Messenger for a while and have gotten used to enter sending the message. Surely with a little time, you will adapt too?

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by lhunath on 09-15-2004 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
where's the "NO" option?
"Enter sends, everyone knows that."
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I guess it just seems like a pointless feature as most of use a have been using MSN Messenger for a while and have gotten used to enter sending the message.
Most bigger messengers, like Trillian, allow for it, and it's not all that "under"-used. =/
RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by QWasson on 09-15-2004 at 04:41 PM

quote:
The trouble is, where do you draw the line? Are we to make all the keys mappable? MSN uses Enter to send the message. Are there ways to change the keys in these other programs then?

Many other programs have a facility to remap keys.  If you add a framework that reads input, looks up what that input does and then acts upon it, any keys can be remapped to anything.  Layers of indirection are the best ;)

quote:
I guess it just seems like a pointless feature as most of use a have been using MSN Messenger for a while and have gotten used to enter sending the message. Surely with a little time, you will adapt too?

To a lot of people it will be pointless. But as someone who was using ICQ, which uses ctrl-enter, for 3 years before I started using MSN through Trillian and Gaim (also configured to use ctrl-enter) for another year or so, I've become somewhat set in my ways.  Having the option to have enter, or ctrl-enter, or whatever send the message means everyone gets the configuration they want
RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by ahtuin on 09-15-2004 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
thats a completely pointless option, everyone uses the enter key,

Is just remotely possible that everyone uses the Enter key (in Messenger) because that is the only way of doing it at present?
Pressing another key just wouldn't work.  Would it?

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
it's the first time this is suggested, it's like it's almost never gonna be used

There was a first time that someone suggested carying passengers in an aeroplane.  That also was regarded as controversial, and dangerous, at the time.  I get the impression that it caught on in time though.  :fire:

On a slightly less controversial note -   I use, and have used, other IM programs that offer the choice.  I personally am more accustomed to using Ctrl+Enter to send messages.  Hence I personally would like the opportunity to do things in Messenger the way I am used to.
I am also equally willing to allow others the chance to do things the way they are used to doing them.

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by Plik on 09-15-2004 at 06:45 PM

Shouldnt this be more a microsoft thing than a messenger plus thing.
Patchou has already said no to this so unless you want to ask bill or make your own addon then i doubt its going to happen

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by Vantage on 09-15-2004 at 07:12 PM

ok man look, second you've done a thread like this, you already know the answer."No" besides no ones going to do it for you. 

quote:
Originally Quoted by Patchou
Well, Plus! could do this but unfortunately I won't do it, Ctrl+Enter and Shift+Enter are standard stuff in Windows, othersoftware shouldn'T change the way they work.

Sorry!
Patch

Patchou doesn't want it obviously in His software. So forget it going in that.
Unless Like i said before you want someone else to make, but really whats the point? you can't change software because of one option seriously whats so hard of learning Just "enter" ?
RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by Patchou on 09-15-2004 at 07:20 PM

lol, at least, I have to admit that you don't give up easily.
I'm sorry but no, it will really not be included in Plus!. I can't just add this kind of option, it would totally bloat the software. "power of choice" is nice but only when it's properly balanced with standard, and if I had to name somethign in particular I like in Microsoft's product, is that they respect their standards. If you give an option for everything everywhere to let peopel do whatever they want, then you get Linux, an OS that nobody can usewhen it's not installed on his own computer with his thousands of own options/variants.

Sorry :)
Patch

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by lhunath on 09-15-2004 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
their standards
:)

Fair enough, at least you listened to our reasons and made a choice based upon them. Thanks for listening, Patchou.
RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by riahc4 on 09-19-2004 at 01:04 AM

the choice would be pretty good tho. AIM supports changing between ctrl+enter and enter. Maybe you can go into the plugins zone and ask....

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by Millenium_edition on 09-19-2004 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
the choice would be pretty good tho. AIM supports changing between ctrl+enter and enter. Maybe you can go into the plugins zone and ask....
did you read the thread?
RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by tomfletcherman on 09-19-2004 at 08:33 AM

Why not have enter as send message and double tap enter quickly as start new line?

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by lopardo on 09-19-2004 at 08:36 AM

Because CTRL+ENTER works fine :P ;)

RE: Enter Vs Ctrl-Enter etc to send a message by Chestah on 09-19-2004 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
Why not have enter as send message and double tap enter quickly as start new line?

lol because then u'd have to set a delay before sending the messages, that would suck majorly! You'd type a message push enter and have to wait even longer for it to submit the data to the other user!! lol how many people are gonna agree to that?
new poll time :rofl:
:P