Shoutbox

Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? (/showthread.php?tid=32821)

Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Pure_BY on 10-10-2004 at 03:09 PM

Hi everyone.

At first, I have been using Windows XP SP2 Firewall. Than I have installed Norton AntiVirus 2005, and it offered me so called Internet Worm Protection.

Which one is better in your oppinion, and why? Which one are you using (or would you use)??

Thanks!

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by RaceProUK on 10-10-2004 at 03:58 PM

They're both different product though. A firewall limits incoming connections and packets, and that Worm protection will protect against known worms. So, use both!

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Vantage on 10-10-2004 at 04:35 PM

Microsoft=shit.
Go with norton.

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Pure_BY on 10-10-2004 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
They're both different product though. A firewall limits incoming connections and packets, and that Worm protection will protect against known worms. So, use both!
No, as far as I understand, they both do the same thing: blocking incoming/outgoing connections. I also got a message from Norton AntiVirus that I better use either SP2 Firewall or Internet Worm Protection.

My question was just: what works better? What detects/blocks more activities?
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Alamarco2 on 10-11-2004 at 04:03 AM

Both Windows SP1 firewall and SP2 firewall only block incomming connections. They dont block outgoing. So if you got a trojan on your computer somehow, you'd be screwed. Outgoing protection is a must.

I would suggest trying out Sygate or Outpost. You could also use NIS, not sure if Worm Protection is different then the normal NIS though.

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by RaceProUK on 10-11-2004 at 06:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alamarco2
Both Windows SP1 firewall and SP2 firewall only block incomming connections.
WRONG! SP2 firewall blocks outgoing as well. I have SP2, and it has asked about allowing about a dozen different outgoings now.
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Qucumber on 10-11-2004 at 08:23 AM

It really is personal choice.  SP2 has an AWESOME firewall... personally I use both... I just SP2 and McAfee - I like both... I kinda like McAfee, never used Norton before but I have used Zone Alarm...

it really comes down to WHAT YOU feel most comfortable with.  The windows firewall in service pack 2 is a million times different then the internet connection firewall in service pack 1.  It is an excellent firewall for free protection. 

I have service pack 2 training; here is the information about incoming and outgoing traffic:

> Windows firewall drops all unsolicited incoming traffic that does not correspond to either traffic send in respond to a request of the computer (solicited traffic) or unsolicited traffic that has been specified as allowed (exceptions).
> Windows firewall does not drop outgoing traffic, with the exception of some internet control message protocol (ICMP) messages (packets sent to an incorrect gateway server or network packets that had expired).

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Weyzza on 10-11-2004 at 08:34 AM

But...

quote:
Originally posted by Help and Support Center
In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. (However, some computer manufacturers and network administrators might turn it off.) You do not have to use Windows Firewall—you can install and run any firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and then decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall.
I think the users should choose only one firewall. And I read an article somewhere that if users have Windows Firewall and other firewall running can cause "conflicts." :-/
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Qucumber on 10-11-2004 at 08:39 AM

haha - I didn't mean both at the same time.... I don't even have service pack 2 installed!  I just meant that I like both and they both do good job, of course a third party firewall is going to go a better job (more features) but the one with service pack 2 is pretty good.

RE: RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Alamarco2 on 10-11-2004 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceproukWRONG! SP2 firewall blocks outgoing as well. I have SP2, and it has asked about allowing about a dozen different outgoings now.

Actually, I'm right. Check out anywhere on the web (ie. security forums) and they will tell you SP2 firewall only blocks incomming. If it did block outgoing, why could everyone still use firewalls like Sygate? It would be a waste of space and resources.

I had SP2 installed and I looked at the firewall. There was no outgoing protection. You might be confused with what's being blocked.

Links:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/51622

quote:
Originally posted by hayc59 from http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=153397
However, althought bringing to the user popups to the screen about applications, XP SP2 firewall still stay an inbound firewall only. This can be confusing because usually when a personal firewall warns the user about an application, it's about an outbound traffic. At the opposite, SP2 firewall warns the user when an application binded to the network interface (listening on a port) is receiving traffic. In this way, using IE will not bring any popup, whereas using a software acting like a server (P2P softwares, IM file transfer, etc...) will.

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Pure_BY on 10-11-2004 at 05:51 PM

Aaah, damn. Why did Microsoft make their firewall block only incoming connections??? :angry:

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by WDZ on 10-11-2004 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pure_BY
Aaah, damn. Why did Microsoft make their firewall block only incoming connections??? :angry:
If you have a malicious program on your PC, you're already screwed, IMO... :tongue:

The XP firewall does a good job of stopping hackers/trojans/worms from getting in...
RE: RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Alamarco2 on 10-11-2004 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
If you have a malicious program on your PC, you're already screwed, IMO... :tongue:

Sometimes. Most of the time if you know it's there, know what it is, you can remove it. If you do have outgoing protection then the maker of that malicious program won't have an easy time getting control over your PC; most of the time he won't even get control.

Also with outgoing protection you won't send any data that you didn't want  to the programmer.

Not all the time do you have to reformat after getting infected. You guys should check out:

http://www.windowsubcd.com/

This Boot CD boots into a Windows environment, just like a Linux Live CD. It has built in programs like a virus scanner that can help remove hard to get at stuff.

Try it out.
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Jeronimo on 10-11-2004 at 08:02 PM

I guess there is the simplicity viewpoint. If people keep getting lots of popups asking for permissions for programs, they will probably get confused or a little worried.

Certainly the Windows Firewall is not as secure as a "proper" firewall program, or even a hardware solution. However, it provides a decent level of security for the masses, and many viruses would propagate much more slowly if everyone (without another firewall) were to enable it. That's why its enabled by default when you install SP2 :)

RE: RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Alamarco2 on 10-11-2004 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JeronimoCertainly the Windows Firewall is not as secure as a "proper" firewall program, or even a hardware solution. However, it provides a decent level of security for the masses, and many viruses would propagate much more slowly if everyone (without another firewall) were to enable it. That's why its enabled by default when you install SP2 :)

Good point. Only thing though, any computer illerate person, with any firewall will just click "yes" because they just want stuff to work. So having a firewall is basically useless for them.

I think if you're smart enough to choose to have a firewall, you should choose to have a good one. You have a choice between 0% cover, 50% cover, and 100% cover. What would you choose?

A computer illiterate just clicking "yes" to all the popups bascially has 0% cover.
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Jeronimo on 10-11-2004 at 11:40 PM

quote:
A computer illiterate just clicking "yes" to all the popups bascially has 0% cover.
Not totally accurate. I find people who are less skilled on computers actually take a lot more time reading dialog boxes and what not. Its the over confident people who have been around computers a bit that click in haste :D

But your point is correct to a fashion. Saying yes to everything is a security risk. However what would you chose - having no firewall, or having a firewall that pops up a dialog increasing the chance that you will block it :P
RE: RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Alamarco2 on 10-12-2004 at 01:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
But your point is correct to a fashion. Saying yes to everything is a security risk. However what would you chose - having no firewall, or having a firewall that pops up a dialog increasing the chance that you will block it :P

Ya good point again. Main point is to atleast have something.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Not totally accurate. I find people who are less skilled on computers actually take a lot more time reading dialog boxes and what not. Its the over confident people who have been around computers a bit that click in haste :D

I don't know about that one. All of the knowledgable people I know read into what they are doing. They get that knowledgable from always reading into what they do.
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Concord Dawn on 10-12-2004 at 01:53 AM

I'm going to argue that you should use a Microsoft wireless router/firewall instead of the shitty software one built into XP SP2. It's so much better, allowing trusted applications to set up port forwarding (i.e. no dodgy Imatrojan.exe), and allowing you to have 128-bit WEP :D! And the firewall is good too, someone tried to reverse IP me, and the firewall shut him out (either that or my internet connection just cut out :P). I personally don't like software firewalls because it's just another process running that takes up valuable memory (I only got 256 mb, going for 1024 mb in new computer (h)). Anyways, another Cookie-type post, so I'll stop my pointless arguing. You should really choose what you like best.

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Pure_BY on 10-12-2004 at 06:11 PM

Ok people, thanks! It looks like Internet Worm Protection of Norton is better than WinXP SP2 Firewall :P

Thanks! :)

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by .blade// on 10-12-2004 at 06:16 PM

Let me put it very very simply. If you're using Windows Firewall, you're driving a mini cooper wearing Kevlar armor - If you're using Norton Firewall or Zone Alarm, you're driving a tnak with triple thick re-inforced titanium wearing a complete body armor and holding an SMG and shotgun....:p

Let me re-instate:

WPF:
[Image: _38371661_minisqrd_pa.jpg]

Nortan and Zone Alarm:
[Image: m1a1-tank-ahi.jpg]

:P

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Millenium_edition on 10-12-2004 at 06:25 PM

let's not exagerate blade. :P

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by .blade// on 10-12-2004 at 06:35 PM

*whistles* what?

[Image: minicooper2.jpg]

lol - it's true - Windows Fiewall is very basic compared to Norton or Zone alarm....it's like comparing MS paint to fireworks or adobe photoshop...

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Alamarco2 on 10-12-2004 at 10:46 PM

Well then I guess this all would be true:

Windows Firewall (SP1 and SP2) = Mini cooper

Norton or Zone Alarm Firewall = Tank

Sygate or Kero or Outpost = Fighter jet equipped with 100 missiles

:)

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by .blade// on 10-12-2004 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Well then I guess this all would be true:

Windows Firewall (SP1 and SP2) = Mini cooper

Norton or Zone Alarm Firewall = Tank

Sygate or Kero or Outpost = Fighter jet equipped with 100 missiles

:)

I've never heard of Sygate, Kero or Outpost, but I must say that a fighter jet with 100 missiles wouldn't e able to take off, it would be chug chug chug BOOM! :P Too heavy.
RE: RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Alamarco2 on 10-13-2004 at 02:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
I've never heard of Sygate, Kero or Outpost, but I must say that a fighter jet with 100 missiles wouldn't e able to take off, it would be chug chug chug BOOM! :P Too heavy.

Oh it'd take off alright. These missiles aren't the normal missiles. They are specially light weighted and made to do heavy damage. They have fluorine and francium in two seperate containers. When they mix, even the smallest amount will create huge explosion ;).

As for not knowing them, I suggest taking a look at them. They really are the ultimate of firewalls.

I used Sygate, and it is a little like Norton but 100x more efficient, less on resources and more secure.

For Outpost, I'm using that right now. It's a really customisable firewall. It is simple stunning with what you can do with it. It also takes plugins. Takes time to learn, but well worth the effort.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com

As for Kerio I haven't tried. I hear a lot of things about it being like Outpost. If people compare it with Outpost, it has to be good.
RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by Hank on 10-13-2004 at 02:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
I've never heard of Sygate, Kero or Outpost

Blade, thats very Dissapointing you havent heard of those  nearly every1 else has

iv'e used Norton Personal Firewall  2003, it wasnt to bad though i had to uninstall it due to a problem i had with it which i cannot remember what it was now, but it was something that was blocking me from doing something,. i'd recommend NPF or Windows Firewall. but if you want something better, use a Hardware Firewall :)

RE: Windows Firewall VS Norton Internet Worm Protection, which is better?? by bellastellaaa on 12-03-2004 at 01:40 PM

I don't need to be here, getting superficial about yesterday's heroes, but I gotta let you know how to get yourselves the real deal when it comes to an anti-watdoesn'titdowell program, that really knows how to flaunt it's action; Bullguard is da best! ...so stop looking and come get your free 60 day download now. Cause if you're ready to forget about your used to be's and think about the future and theeennn it's a happy ending you're after, get your virtual petty little ass's down to  www.bullguard.com/questionnaire.aspx *Hot tip of the day for all u low income hotties who don't wanna pay, u can re-download the same trial version every 60 days under a different email address. What's that? How do I know, did I hear u say? w00k glasshopper! I just tlied it. It works. ...trust me, you won't reglet it.