Shoutbox

power user - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: power user (/showthread.php?tid=33587)

power user by user35870 on 10-24-2004 at 12:59 PM

how do u change to a power user in xp home????

RE: power user by Tochjo on 10-24-2004 at 01:08 PM

I think the following way should work in Windows XP Home Edition.

Go to Start and click Run. In the box, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and click OK. Then, click a username in the list of users you see and click Properties. Click the other tab in the dialog window that comes up (it's probably called "Manage group membership" or something similar) and click the last radio button. Select the Power User group.

RE: power user by user35870 on 10-24-2004 at 01:19 PM

What can u not do on a power user  that  adnimstrator   can?

RE: power user by toddy on 10-24-2004 at 01:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mnbvcxz
What can u not do on a power user  that  adnimstrator   can?

u can't do any of the admin things !!!  (things like computer management)

also stuff like regedit your can't access
RE: power user by user35870 on 10-24-2004 at 01:23 PM

Then whats the differents?

RE: power user by Mnjul on 10-24-2004 at 01:43 PM

I don't think Power User is available in Windows XP Home Edition...correct me if I am wrong.. :S

mnbvcxz: Power users can't modify system configuration, to be short :)

RE: power user by toddy on 10-24-2004 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul

I don't think Power User is available in Windows XP Home Edition...correct me if I am wrong.

well u sort of can !!!

its called "standard user (power users group)"

u can install programs and change some settings, but you can't do owt that affects the window system files

RE: power user by user35870 on 10-24-2004 at 02:49 PM

RE: power user by Concord Dawn on 10-24-2004 at 02:56 PM

If you're on a computer for just you, then you should leave your account as an administrator, so in case something goes wrong, some nerd can fix it easily. Power users are for families who have meddlesome kids and share one PC. :P Power users have unlimited access to their OWN settings, minus global startup. But that's it.

RE: power user by user35870 on 10-24-2004 at 03:26 PM

No there is 5 other user accounts includeing me :)

RE: power user by WDZ on 10-24-2004 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I don't think Power User is available in Windows XP Home Edition...correct me if I am wrong.. :S
I'm pretty sure you're correct. The "userpasswords2" thing isn't really meant for XP Home... that's why it doesn't show up in the Control Panel. According to most pages, there are only 3 account types in XP Home: Admin, Limited, and Guest.

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
its called "standard user (power users group)"

u can install programs and change some settings, but you can't do owt that affects the window system files
Why don't you try that and tell us if it works or if it screws up your PC? :p
RE: power user by EvilSeph on 10-24-2004 at 07:27 PM

Regardless of if you have administrative access or not, Windows XP Pro comes with a pre-setup account called Administrator. Windows XP Home comes with a pre-setup account called Owner. So either way you will always have Administrative access to your pc.

Using your pc for day-to-day activities as an Administrator is considered unsafe. As people in this thread have stated, a power user can't touch system specific settings/system files. Which is the whole point..better security.

If you need Administrative permissions and abilities, simply log in under "Owner" or "Administrator" (and/or use the "Run As" function) to do those changes, then switch back to your power user or normal user account.

RE: power user by user35870 on 10-24-2004 at 09:03 PM

yous are right it doesn't work right power user in xp home :(

when u click power user and hit ok it just say somthing about invaluid user or sumin