Shoutbox

Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? (/showthread.php?tid=34152)

Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by DragnFly on 11-06-2004 at 02:29 AM

I would like to suggest a feature be added to messenger plus to disable the ever-annoying "A new version of messenger is now available" message that pops up each time you log into messenger.

I do not know if this is possible or not, but for those of us whom do not wish to upgrade, it would spare us the annoyance of seeing that message all the time.

Thanks

RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by Purity on 11-06-2004 at 08:40 AM

i love this guys Suggestion, kinda like my Universial CVR patcher idea eh *nudge**nudge*lol seriously the protocal would be different in the messengers right? think about protocall!!!, think about it. ok fine there is some ups and downs of using older versions like  1.0 or w/e

RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by Anubis on 11-06-2004 at 09:02 AM

The message could in theory be disabled, but Plus won't include this due to the common fact that upgrading is better. And if you keep using an older version at some point the protocol is going to reject the older version client...The benefits of upgrading far out way the reasons not to. Security holes and the like have been found in older versions, so it would not be an improvement to add this...

RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by saralk on 11-06-2004 at 10:51 AM

If you want to, you can probably edit some hex to "trick" the messenger servers think you have the latest version

RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by RaceProUK on 11-06-2004 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
If you want to, you can probably edit some hex to "trick" the messenger servers think you have the latest version
I agree with Anubis on this one. It is always a good idea to have the latest release version of Messenger, as older versions are less secure and probably buggier.
RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by DragnFly on 11-10-2004 at 02:36 AM

While I still feel such a feature would be nice to atleast be built into the plus program itself, if that cannot happen can someone atleast tell me if theres anyway I can manually disable it on my end?

I'm not a programmer lol.

RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by eckocomplex on 11-10-2004 at 04:48 AM

Standard answer: MessenegrDiscovery has it :D.

RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by FrozernFire on 11-10-2004 at 05:17 AM

but the thing is that you don't get alerted when there is a new version, only much later then you may get to know of the new version which *may* be much better

RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by eckocomplex on 11-10-2004 at 07:22 AM

If someone were that paranoid then they shouldn't turn it on... I think what he wants to do is turn it off

quote:
disable messenger upgrade message
Maybe it's just me :-/...
RE: Feature Request: Option to disable messenger upgrade message? by user27089 on 11-10-2004 at 08:47 AM

Download Messenger Discovery From here: www.messengerdiscovery.com, Its a seperate extension from plus! and some of its features react with Stuffplug, so if you have stuffplug, then I wouldn't download, if you don't then, MessengerDiscovery will rid you of you problem and you'll have a few decent features aswell..

:p