Shoutbox

Encrypting Chat Logs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Encrypting Chat Logs (/showthread.php?tid=34302)

Encrypting Chat Logs by crayzeepete on 11-10-2004 at 01:19 PM

If after months of logging chats, you find you need to encrypt it all, Plus will encrypt all of the current month's chats, but not any of the archived ones...
Not sure if this was an intended feature, but it would be useful to encrypt the Archives too...

RE: Encrypting Chat Logs by KeyStorm on 11-10-2004 at 03:02 PM

It's a good suggestion, but Messenger Plus! won't use them anymore, so you may modify them yourself without causing any malfunction. Thi way you could store them in a password protectes ZIP or RAR file. Or even move them to a private folder in XP.

As Archive, Messenger Plus! doesn't use them anymore (that's why they're archived). Anothe problem would be to encrypt 2 years of logs, that can be challenging for your computer and for MP!. It could easily cause your system slow down dramatically for a while, and probabilities of file corruption would increase.

My advice: Turn encryption on and move the archive somewhere else if you don't want others to access it. :)

RE: Encrypting Chat Logs by crayzeepete on 11-11-2004 at 08:48 AM

hummm...
well if i can work out which encryption algorithm msgplus uses, i could write a utility that encrypts the files myself...
but i guess you suggestion is good for now...

RE: Encrypting Chat Logs by CookieRevised on 11-11-2004 at 12:25 PM

Move your acrhived logs to the main directory where you other logs are, then turn off the encryption in Plus and turn it back on. All files in the main directory (and thus your archived files) will be reencrypted, after that you can place them back where they belonged.

Messenger Plus! uses his own made encryption, also based upon a password. Patchou wil not publish any of the algorithms he has used.

RE: Encrypting Chat Logs by KeyStorm on 11-11-2004 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Move your acrhived logs to the main directory where you other logs are, then turn off the encryption in Plus and turn it back on. All files in the main directory (and thus your archived files) will be reencrypted, after that you can place them back where they belonged.
That's a lot of work if you have to go month by month... But yes, may be a solution. Just remember to back up your 'working' logs. And only do that when you are appearing offline to avoid conflicts and screw-ups.