Shoutbox

problem in plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: problem in plus (/showthread.php?tid=35193)

problem in plus by Jessica on 12-03-2004 at 08:47 PM

Everytime I log onto MSN, Plus come up telling me that all the contacts that were online before I logged out, it tells me that they logged in again when that havent movied and it shows that they all moved at the same time.  I have the lastest build. This didnt happen with past pluses I had that arent compatible with 7.0
Here is an example:

[12/3/2004 | 03:27:18 PM] (current user) - You signed in
[12/3/2004 | 03:27:18 PM] Susan (f) Contact status has been changed to: Busy
[12/3/2004 | 03:27:18 PM] stroikenboinker Contact status has been changed to: Away
[12/3/2004 |03.27:18 PM] -MeL - I met Hanson AHHH! contact has sign on.

RE: problem in plus by Sunshine on 12-03-2004 at 09:10 PM

I'm afraid i don't understand what you are talking about. Imo it's normal for plus to gather all your contacts statusses at the same time when you sign in. Please explain more clearly... a screenshot perhaps?

RE: problem in plus by Vazza on 12-03-2004 at 10:38 PM

It sounds like possibly you have the notifications feature on. To check go:

Plus!==> Preferences ==> Notifications ==> Pop up defaults

to change this to what you want

RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-04-2004 at 02:51 AM

I leave my messenger on when I go to work, school, and when I come home, I turn it off to refresh the Plus window cos it has filled up by the time I get back. Even when I am home, it does it. I have no notifications marked I just did that. Like today, I signed off and on again. The two bottom people had just gone on away when I left and was still on away when I came back so they havent moved or changed their status. Yet plus is told me they did and as you can see they all changed their status at the same time. and thats not possible.

RE: problem in plus by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-04-2004 at 03:06 AM

Maybe you try restarting Messenger...Actually, I dun really get what you are tryin to explain...

RE: problem in plus by CookieRevised on 12-04-2004 at 03:36 AM

Jessica,

First of all, if you want to save a picture in Paint Shop Pro into another format then the default format then you need to define that, choose "Save As..." or Press F12. You can't just rename the extension of the file (.PSP) to .JPG to make it a jpg-file. Just like you can't rename a video-file (.AVI) into .DOC to make it a Word document ;)

Anyways, here is the fixed screenshot:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=343444]

But I don't see anything wrong or unusual in that screenshot of the eventlog. Everything seems normal like it should be. This is the eventlog, and it is normal that it "fills up" with lines of people who change their status, that is what it suppose to do.

It is possible that you're talking about a bug, but I (and others) don't understand correctly what you're trying to say.

RE: problem in plus by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-04-2004 at 03:43 AM

I think shes talking about the time...She feels that it is impossible that the 3 contacts there changed their status all at the same time (9:30:22pm).

RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-04-2004 at 04:03 AM

Yes, I am talking about the time thing.

RE: problem in plus by CookieRevised on 12-04-2004 at 04:14 AM

It is quite possible though. Nothing strange or wrong in that...

RE: problem in plus by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-04-2004 at 04:25 AM

Jessica, could you give more instances of this? For example, maybe you can give screenshots of it over a period of a few days, cause sometimes it is quite possible that these 3 contacts changed their status at the same time. I dont believe that this is a bug though, as my Plus has no problems displaying the time. Maybe its with your network connection...

Besides, can you give ur build num of your MSN Messnger? Maybe you are using an older build, and there might be problems with it. The information that you provided in the first post is not really enough...

As for me, I dont have any problems with it.
My OS: Windows XP Professional SP2, Build 2600
My Messenger: MSN Messenger 7.0.0425
My Plus: 3.40.110

update: oops, sori, my Plus build is 3.40.112

RE: problem in plus by gnownoskcid on 12-04-2004 at 04:26 AM

actually i can second Jessica's problem, very often when I sign in after an msn crash, about 10 notification pops up at the same time saying each contact has signed in. I really doubt 10+ contacts would sign in at the same time right after I sign in. I'll try to take a screeny next time it happens. It doesn't happen too often though.

RE: problem in plus by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-04-2004 at 04:30 AM

Huh? What do you mean by an MSN crash?

Besides, can you pls provide information about your current config of your PC?

RE: problem in plus by gnownoskcid on 12-04-2004 at 04:34 AM

see this even log:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=343465]
showing 18 events in the course of less than 10 seconds is not really normal. Bug?

RE: problem in plus by Weyzza on 12-04-2004 at 04:41 AM

I agree and disagree with you.

I agree that sometimes I see some contacts sign in at the same time in the Events Log, but I assume that happens because the Messenger client lags. I have seen 5+ contacts signed in at the same second.

As for "appears to be idle," it is perfectly normal.
You can do a simple check.
Sign in/ check the events log/ see if there is a contact idling/ sign out/ sign in again/ check the events log.
You will see the same contact appears to be idle "again".

RE: problem in plus by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-04-2004 at 04:49 AM

quote:
Sign in/ check the events log/ see if there is a contact idling/ sign out/ sign in again/ check the events log.

Okay, but what if the contact is not idle? (After following the steps that you wrote there) That means theres a bug with it? (Just speaking for those affected, I am not affected by this in any way...Only that sometimes the time stated there is not really accurate.)

Btw, can someone just answer this: Does the time stated there follow my PC's time, or does it get the time from the MSN servers?
RE: problem in plus by gnownoskcid on 12-04-2004 at 04:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid

I agree that sometimes I see some contacts sign in at the same time in the Events Log, but I assume that happens because the Messenger client lags. I have seen 5+ contacts signed in at the same second.

so you are saying that 9 different contacts signing in within 20 seconds after you sign in is highly probably and is an everyday thing?
RE: problem in plus by Weyzza on 12-04-2004 at 04:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by f1d0d1d08989
Okay, but what if the contact is not idle? (After following the steps that you wrote there) That means theres a bug with it?
I'm pretty sure about it :) (that's not a bug).
quote:
Btw, can someone just answer this: Does the time stated there follow my PC's time, or does it get the time from the MSN servers?
I think it is the PC's time. Not sure about this one :-/
RE: problem in plus by Weyzza on 12-04-2004 at 05:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
quote:

so you are saying that 9 different contacts signing in within 20 seconds after you sign in is highly probably and is an everyday thing?
Who said that? I didn't.
Read my post carefully, please.
quote:
I agree that sometimes I see some contacts sign in at the same time in the Events Log
I said "sometimes," not always.
quote:
but I assume that happens because the Messenger client lags.
This part means that the bug is probably on messenger client's side, not on Plus!'s side.
quote:
I have seen 5+ contacts signed in at the same second.
It doesn't mean that I see it every day.
I saw once for 5+ contacts signed in at the same time.
But I do admit that the events log sometimes shoes that I sign in at the same time with one or more contacts.
RE: problem in plus by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-04-2004 at 05:05 AM

quote:

quote:
Okay, but what if the contact is not idle? (After following the steps that you wrote there) That means theres a bug with it?

I'm pretty sure about it (that's not a bug).

Em, but if its not a bug, what could it be? Plus lags?

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid

I agree with gnownoskcid that it is not possible for so many contacts to sign in at the same time, and it is most probably not an everyday thing...
Although there might be instances of this happening (I did encounter it before), but it is not going to happen everyday, right?

PS Thks for your answer thekid...I gonna find out on that when I have nothing to do later...Haha:D

Btw, I posted this later than thekid's post, so sori if I miss out on anything. ..
RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-04-2004 at 04:09 PM

My OS: Windows XP Home SP1,
My Messenger: MSN Messenger 7.0.0425
My Plus: lasetest beta version.

RE: problem in plus by Sunshine on 12-04-2004 at 05:00 PM

Sorry, but i still don't see anything unusual in those screenies. When you log in it gathers all contacts statusses at the same time, that's normal.

RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-04-2004 at 05:20 PM

Yeah I know it's normal but it when I log off for a second and one again, I know for a fact that 10 people can't log in at the same time. If you read the other posts in this thread you will other people have the same problem. MSN/Plus lags.

RE: problem in plus by CookieRevised on 12-04-2004 at 05:21 PM

Plus! is not a Messenger client, nor a Messenger server, it only displays what it got send by the MSN servers. This isn't a Plus! problem, IF at all a problem....

Like said before, when you log in the statusses of your contacts are checked, this is normal...

RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-04-2004 at 05:27 PM

It is NOT normal. Read the other posts in this thread other people have the problem too. Either Plus or MSN lags. I don't know how to explain it any better, just look at the other posts and you will see.

RE: problem in plus by Weyzza on 12-04-2004 at 05:49 PM

I'm sorry.
If the messenger client lags (MSN servers are slow or something), that is NOT a "problem in plus." :)

Plus! works fast on your (or other people's) PC.

In other words, it is normal :)

RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-04-2004 at 06:52 PM

Read the other posts.

RE: problem in plus by gnownoskcid on 12-04-2004 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Like said before, when you log in the statusses of your contacts are checked, this is normal...
ok let's say this behavior is normal and is not a bug, it is still really annoying to see 10 "contact has signed in" toasts within 20 seconds of  signing in.

Here's a suggestion, implement an option to disable toasts within the first 30 seconds signing in? (don't yell at me for making suggestions, you people say other's suggestion are dumb about 90% of the time)
RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-04-2004 at 08:45 PM

It is annoying, gnownnoskcid. I installed 6.2 again with Plus 3.25, I havent had a problem with it yet. So I think its a problem with the new MSN or the beta version of plus.

RE: problem in plus by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-05-2004 at 02:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jessica
It is annoying, gnownnoskcid. I installed 6.2 again with Plus 3.25, I havent had a problem with it yet. So I think its a problem with the new MSN or the beta version of plus.

Well, it should be a problem with the MSN Messenger 7.0 Beta version, cause I found out that the time used there is fetched off a MSN server, not your computer's time. And that Event Log just displays what it got off the servers. If you dont find any problems with it in the earlier versions, it should be a problem with the MSN Messenger 7.0, shouldnt be a problem with Plus...

Maybe its just that your network connection is a bit slower or wad, so it couldnt fetch the time off the servers efficently, so theres so wad a 'lag' in the time...Unless there are hundered of users complaining about this problem, I dont think that it is a serious problem, unless it crashes your PC.

But I do know that no matter how small a problem it, it should be get rid of. But in this case, it is quite obvious that it is not a Plus problem.

Btw, sorry I just cleared my history, so couldnt point you to the site which I found the information...
RE: problem in plus by Jessica on 12-05-2004 at 02:55 AM

Well if you find the site again. let me know

RE: problem in plus by Patchou on 12-05-2004 at 05:56 AM

Hi Jessica,

this "problem" is actually due to network lag. If Messenger takes too long to load, it sends notifications to Messenger Plus! very late and there's no way for it to make a distinction.

I'll increase the timeout value for the next version, I didn't know so many people were experiencing these issues (my contact list is not very big so it's not a problem for me). I will change it from 10 seconds to 25, just to be on the safe side (remember that if you do some tests, this means that Messenger Plus! will not treat notifications received before 25 seconds have elapsed since sign-in).

RE: problem in plus by CookieRevised on 12-05-2004 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
(remember that if you do some tests, this means that Messenger Plus! will not treat notifications received before 25 seconds have elapsed since sign-in).
Can this be a value in the registry in that case? I have 150 contacts, and never experienced this "problem". Furthermore, I often sign in at request and this is done when other people also sign in. By increasing the time-out even more, I (and others) will miss these notifications if I am correct.