Shoutbox

Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin (/showthread.php?tid=36278)

Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by JeePee on 01-01-2005 at 08:19 PM

Hi

I have been using http://www.trillian.cc for a while but want to use msn again (Trillian can't keep up with the speed microsoft adds new features).

However, in Trillian I really like the container option that is not available in messenger and plus. With messenger you have a button and a window per chat session. This container option groups / displays all chat sessions inside the container window, so you have only one button on the windows toolbar to minimize/maximize. (Attached screenshot is from the container window with 2 chat sessions + the contact list inside it).

Does anyone know if such a plugin is available for messenger and where I can get it?

Update Jan 3, 2005: there have been multiple conversations and threaths about this request. Where Trillian refers to a container, all msn users refer to a tabbed message window for a similar feature. Both features group all conversation windows in a single larger window, with or without tabs. I updated the screen shot from Trillian. It shows the container in two ways. The top most one is the container with tabs enabled, the lower one the same but with tabs disabled. With tabs enabled, when a session is out of focus because you are talking in another session, there is a sound and the tab header of sessions with new unread messages turns red. To see for your self, download and install Trillian from http://www.trillian.cc/

Fukafly opened a new clean threath for this with a new pol. Be sure to vote on http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=36384

Thanks
JeePee

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by .blade// on 01-01-2005 at 08:23 PM

Do you mean tabbed convos? Becuase there is already a plug-in for that  :-/

http://blog.ben-ward.co.uk/index.php/2004/11/14/s..._msn_plugin_plugin

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by JeePee on 01-01-2005 at 08:41 PM

Yes something like that will do. In fact, the latest Trillian version also offers a 'tabbed' option in the container.

I looked at the link but don't like all the additional features since most of them are already in MsgPlus. I looked a bit further and found two other tab plugins.
* http://www.spadeapps.com/cameno/
* http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=22814
Based on the screenshot I like Cameno best, so I'll try that.

Thanks for the quick reply !!!
JeePEe

I tried but both don't work (maybe because I use the beta of messenger 7 and messenger plus 3.40)

* Cameno gives a run-time error after 10 seconds.
* Tabbes msn, gives a system error 'class does not exist'.

:-(
RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by Plik on 01-01-2005 at 09:24 PM

It is because of Messenger 7
Stuffplug-ng also has this feature (along with a lot of others) and it supports Messenger 7.
download it here (direct download link).

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by JeePee on 01-01-2005 at 10:09 PM

That's the one from the first reply. I did not want to use it because of all other options I did not need. Anyway, I installed, it works but does not look nice. The screen shot from the other 2 plugins look much better (but hey, they don't work...)

thx
JeePee

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by Mike on 01-02-2005 at 01:36 PM

Actually, I can do it :)
Its not that hard...

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by Menthix on 01-02-2005 at 01:56 PM

Go for it :).

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by Mike on 01-02-2005 at 02:59 PM

Here you go ;)

A bug: The window will not flash, but only a sound will be played (if you have enabled this feature from msn messenger)

Important Note: Close all the conversation windows before closing this program!
If you close the program with conversation windows open, the conversation windows will go to the center of nowhere and if you want to chat with the contact you were chatting again, you will have to restart/sign out/go to appear offline mode to chat with the contact you were chatting when you had the program open.

I know, this is not what you wanted, but I think it gets the job done :)

Download Container

Edit: Attachment removed, look in the replys below for a new version of the program.

Note: Its not a plugin but it's a stand-alone program because I was too lazy to make it a plugin :P

RE: RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by JeePee on 01-02-2005 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Here you go ;)

A bug: The window will not flash, but only a sound will be played (if you have enabled this feature from msn messenger)

Important Note: Close all the conversation windows before closing this program!
If you close the program with conversation windows open, the conversation windows will go to the center of nowhere and if you want to chat with the contact you were chatting again, you will have to restart/sign out/go to appear offline mode to chat with the contact you were chatting when you had the program open.

I know, this is not what you wanted, but I think it gets the job done :)

Download Container

Note: Its not a plugin but it's a stand-alone program because I was too lazy to make it a plugin :P

Thanks for the fast responce and .exe. It is a start indeed but... it's not convenient that new chat sessions are not auto added to the container (when it is not yet started). Plus of course having to close all chat sessions before  you close the container. I guess you would need to take a look at trillian to see how they do it. Anyway, thanks for the effort!

JeePee
RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by Mike on 01-02-2005 at 07:32 PM

Actually, I can fix the "close all conversations" bug and the "open program, conversations are not added" bug.

Oh and sorry for the PM, it seems you replyed while I was writing you the PM

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by JeePee on 01-02-2005 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Actually, I can fix the "close all conversations" bug and the "open program, conversations are not added" bug.

Oh and sorry for the PM, it seems you replyed while I was writing you the PM

PM: sorry I clicked the PM away. I did not know about this feature in this forum, so did not know what it was and clicked it away.
I appreciate your effort in making the container exe and offer to fix the bugs. Don't spent to much time on it though, I am very picky (I work in a QA lab for a software company so I always find something to complain :)...). There are already plugings to get tabbed windows, and although they don't work for msn7, I can wait for it, or install msn6 for now. I may even go back and continue using Trillian...

thanks, JeePee
RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by Mike on 01-03-2005 at 03:08 PM

Hello.

I have fixed the following bugs:

Conversation(s) do not go to the container window if there are open conversation when opening the program: When you open the program, the current open conversation window(s) will be moved to the container window.

Close all conversations before exiting program: In the last version, you needed to close all open conversations to exit the program. Now when you close the program, all the open conversations will be set free.

New bug found: When using the "Nudge" feature on Msn Messenger 7, the window will slide down of the container window for no reason. To fix this, you have to close the program and right click on the conversation nudge was used and click move. Then using your keyboard, move the window so you can see it in the screen...

Download Container

Note: The program file size has been reduced about 13 KBs!

A question: Should I add tabs to the program or just leave it the way it is?

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by JeePee on 01-03-2005 at 03:32 PM

Thanks, I have a look at it tonight when I am back home.

Tabs would be a nice (optional) feature. And a real plugin would also be nice :)

thx
JeePee

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by Mike on 01-03-2005 at 06:22 PM

Hmmmm I have been thinking about tabs...
They are possible but there is one problem...

If you have many conversations open, and someone talks to you, you wont be able to know who talked to you :(

You would have to go through all tabs...

Anyway I'll try and code this feature (y)

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by aNILEator on 01-03-2005 at 08:19 PM

lol do you know what you've got yourself into?

But i'm willing to try this out :D
any screens?

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by spokes on 01-03-2005 at 08:27 PM

a container sounds kool, screenshots :D

RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by aNILEator on 01-03-2005 at 08:33 PM

oh, its just a big grey box with the windows inside it

RE: RE: Looking for a 'container' plugin by JeePee on 01-03-2005 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Hmmmm I have been thinking about tabs... They are possible but there is one problem...

If you have many conversations open, and someone talks to you, you wont be able to know who talked to you :(

You would have to go through all tabs...

Anyway I'll try and code this feature (y)

Depends on how smart you code... FYI, I updated my original (the very first post) in this threath and also changed the screen shot...
RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by aNILEator on 01-03-2005 at 11:12 PM

BTW my poll is to have tabbed convos (like cameno/tabbed msn/SP:NG) as a feature in plus not a plugin/standalone app and also, not a container like you have requested/has been made

but hey i may be getting the complete wrong end of the stick here who knows  either way i want tabs >.< :)

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by JeePee on 01-03-2005 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
BTW my poll is to have tabbed convos (like cameno/tabbed msn/SP:NG) as a feature in plus not a plugin/standalone app
Agree, this as a feature in plus would even be better then a separate plugin (it should definitly not be a standalone app!)

quote:
and also, not a container like you have requested/has been made
Container or tabs, it all the same stuff. To have tabs, you add all the chat sessions as tabs in a single 'container' window. See the screen shot in the first reply in this threath to see what I mean.
RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by (CyBeRDuDe) on 01-04-2005 at 12:08 AM

Mike2:
This is awesome... :D.. I really like the idea and this could have a big potential I think!!!
As it is now, it doesn't seem as much.. but with some work I would love this!!! :D...
Heres some of my ideas:

- Tabbed convo's... :D.. With easy access to activate/deactive tabbed convo...
- Ataching/detaching indivdual convo's.. both tabbed and contained...
- Blink effect on new msg, or put an icon or whatever as TB does in StuffPlug NG...
- Making it a plugin...
- Getting the main window into the container as well... as the screenshot for Trillian shows... :D... This shouldn't be impossible...
- And some other small things to really make it cool plugin.. :D

would you Mike2 do this?.. would you be willing to take this project?... Would be awesome...

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by aNILEator on 01-04-2005 at 01:55 AM

you guys seem to acs as if this whole tabbed concept hasn't been done before

Cameno does it

Tabbed MSN a Msgplus Plugin does it

StuffPlug:Next Generation does it too.

Still the more the merrier :D

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by JeePee on 01-04-2005 at 08:42 AM

quote:
you guys seem to acs as if this whole tabbed concept hasn't been done before

Cameno does it
This doesn't work in msn7 and the maker does not respond on posts about the error.

quote:
Tabbed MSN a Msgplus Plugin does it
Same issue...

quote:
That installs loads of other stuff I don't/features I don't want or already available in plus...
RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by matty on 01-04-2005 at 08:51 AM

If you have transparency on the Instant Message Windows and they are added into the container window all hell breaks loose. The conversation window is cut down (if using borderless convos) and until you remove transparency it isn't fixed. The other thing if you are using Set Parent to move them into the form then you should also do it for the MSN Messenger window then dock it to the right and resize the window to fit :)

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by Mike on 01-04-2005 at 09:06 AM

I see what you mean with transparency...
Anyway, I can fix that by making the window opaque (did I typed that right?)
I dont think you can see many things in the window, can you?

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by aNILEator on 01-04-2005 at 10:39 AM

i got cameno working with msn 7 :D

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by JeePee on 01-04-2005 at 12:27 PM

quote:
i got cameno working with msn 7 :D
How did you do that?
RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by (CyBeRDuDe) on 01-04-2005 at 09:52 PM

Mike2:
Would you take this project?... And make it more advanced?

quote:
Originally posted by JeePee
quote:
That installs loads of other stuff I don't/features I don't want or already available in plus...

None of Stuffplug NG's features is already included in msgplus!!! Of course TB would not make any features that was already in the program that SPNG requires!... One thing is that SPNG would have some features that you might not use.. But don't say that SPNG has features already in MSGPlus... that is wrong!...

The transperency issue also goes for SPNG's tabbed convo's... seems like transperancy using msgplus is causing a few problems.. would be cool if it works making it opaque... :P...
RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by Mike on 01-04-2005 at 10:36 PM

I have started working on tabs.
I like your idea about having two or more conversation windows in one tab.
I don't know about blinking...
It is possible but it's a bit hard...
I dont think windows provides me an API to know if a window is flashing...
And if it did, I would have to check every once a while all the open conversation windows to see if one of them is flashing which would slow down your system...
Actually, I have something in my mind to do this, but I'll check it later...
Let me finish the tabs first :D

Making a plugin...?
Well, I'm making it currently as a standalone program because making a plugin would be kinda pointless at this time (compiling to see if works etc...)
But I'll see in the future about making it a plugin...

Anyway, I'll see what I can do :D

The bad thing is that I also got some homework to do (they are not much) but my parents I believe will start to say do your homework, do your homework!
The good thing is that schools start on 10th of January :D

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by (CyBeRDuDe) on 01-05-2005 at 12:23 AM

quote:
I have started working on tabs.
I like your idea about having two or more conversation windows in one tab.
I don't know about blinking...
It is possible but it's a bit hard...
I dont think windows provides me an API to know if a window is flashing...
And if it did, I would have to check every once a while all the open conversation windows to see if one of them is flashing which would slow down your system...
Actually, I have something in my mind to do this, but I'll check it later...
Let me finish the tabs first :D

Making a plugin...?
Well, I'm making it currently as a standalone program because making a plugin would be kinda pointless at this time (compiling to see if works etc...)
But I'll see in the future about making it a plugin...

Anyway, I'll see what I can do :D

The bad thing is that I also got some homework to do (they are not much) but my parents I believe will start to say do your homework, do your homework!
The good thing is that schools start on 10th of January :D

The messenger api allows you to know when a msg have been recieved.. or at least if you do it as a plugin using msgplus API... :D:D... So if you make it as plugin sometime it can be done... just wait with this until you create it as plugin... but I think you get many advantages using MSGPlus API... but they aren't really usefull in this kinda program/plugin.. but when you finally decide to make it a plugin the blinking/icon would be possible... :D...

Yeah, homeworks sucks!!! and parents sucks too!! :P... LOL!

<offtopic>
Are you seriously only 12 years old?
</offtopic>
RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by Mike on 01-05-2005 at 12:29 AM

I think that the Messenger Plus! plugin api notifys you only when a message with a notify code is received.

Actually, if it wasn't parents, then we wouldnt be on this world... :P

And yeah I am 12 years old (look in T&T for a pic of me :D)

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by (CyBeRDuDe) on 01-05-2005 at 01:29 PM

Yeah, your right.. couldn't find much in the msgplus api.. but using the Messenger API, try checkking out this:

Dim MsgrIM As IMessengerConversationWnd

then try something with

MsgrIM.History

Don't know how to use it correctly... and i'm not sure it would work.. but you might want to check it out... or maybe ask TB for a litle advice on starting with this "message recieved issue".... :P...

Heh.. that's cool... :D.. you spell good considering you 12... and from greece... :P...

How long have you been programming?

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by aNILEator on 01-10-2005 at 05:51 PM

oh btw i think you should include tabs in this container app :)

RE: Looking for a 'container' or tabbed conversation plugin by Mike on 01-10-2005 at 06:49 PM

Yeah, I finished programing tabs, but the other day, the laptop was gone! :'(
The source was in the laptop.
Maybe I can ask it back to get the source but...