Shoutbox

an e-mail u add as a virus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: an e-mail u add as a virus? (/showthread.php?tid=36339)

an e-mail u add as a virus? by MC.POP on 01-02-2005 at 09:05 PM

my friend told me about this e-mail that if  it adds u and u allow it it hits u with a virus, is this even true?

RE: an e-mail u add as a virus? by .blade// on 01-02-2005 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC.POP
my friend told me about this e-mail that if  it adds u and u allow it it hits u with a virus, is this even true?

I don't know if it's true, but it would be possible to set up a bot that sends a virus to people automatically. Don't worry too much because you have to accept and open the file for it to do anything :P
RE: an e-mail u add as a virus? by MC.POP on 01-02-2005 at 09:08 PM

oh ok is it ok if i post the e-mail so that everybody can be ware of it.

RE: an e-mail u add as a virus? by RaceProUK on 01-02-2005 at 10:20 PM

I don't see why not.

RE: an e-mail u add as a virus? by Menthix on 01-02-2005 at 11:15 PM

The emailadress of such a bot could be changed like thousand times a day if they want. Besides that there have been probally more then 100 of simulair stories close to this one, most of them turned out to be false in the end.

If you are using the latest version of Messenger (6.2) or even the latest 7 beta, then you have only very low risks of getting infected without a virus without knowing it. Almost every virus that spreads trough Messenger works by sending a file. You will need to accept this file and run it before you can get infected with anything.

To secure yourself from viruses, don't memorize emailadresses of possible dangerous virus bots, but:

• Always be carefull when accepting a file from people, certainly from people you don't know.
  • Have a good virusscanner installed and make sure it stays up to date and running.
  • Keep windows up to date, turn on automtic updates or visit www.windowsupdate.com manually and update on a regular basis.