Shoutbox

Picture Compression - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Picture Compression (/showthread.php?tid=36576)

Picture Compression by John Anderton on 01-07-2005 at 09:42 AM

Is it possible to reduce the size of a gif pic ??
If so then please do it for this image of about 17.3 kb. I would like it to be about 15 kb (or less so i can use it as an avatar though i am looking for a personal avatar with my name :dodgy:)
Plz help.

Can this even be done ???

RE: Picture Compression by Geniuzzz on 01-07-2005 at 10:48 AM

well,

normally you can change the colordepth of a gif file, but this one is animated and I'm not able to decrease the colordepth.

If you look at my avatar: I had to change the colordepth from 16 to 8 bit, resizing it from 21k to 8k. (I created the avatar on some site, but I lost the correct URL)

have fun...:P
Geniuzzz

RE: Picture Compression by RaceProUK on 01-07-2005 at 03:08 PM

The other option is to remotely host the image file, like I do.

Edit: Just out of interest, my avatar is 203kB...

RE: Picture Compression by Plik on 01-07-2005 at 03:13 PM

Done
[Image: attachment.php?pid=357816]

RE: Picture Compression by John Anderton on 01-07-2005 at 06:03 PM

Thanks a million madman66.
Who r the other 17 ppl who have downloaded this pic. I hope they don't use it as their avatars :mipdodgy: :tongue:

RE: Picture Compression by saralk on 01-07-2005 at 06:26 PM

becuase it has been inserted into the page using the [img] tag, everyone who looks at the page, downloads it

RE: Picture Compression by John Anderton on 01-07-2005 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

becuase it has been inserted into the page using the [img] tag, everyone who looks at the page, downloads it
Oh ..... Ok. Thanks for that. Why didn't he attatch it then ??? He'd have to upload it to his webspace in that case rite ??

RE: Picture Compression by .blade// on 01-07-2005 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Thanks a million madman66.
Who r the other 17 ppl who have downloaded this pic. I hope they don't use it as their avatars :mipdodgy: :tongue:

:lol: You're worried that people will use your avitar, which you stole from the bungie.net website as their avitar :lol:
[Image: awoz_avatar.gif]
http://bungie.net/Forums/skins/default/avatars/awoz_avatar.gif
RE: Picture Compression by Plik on 01-07-2005 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Oh ..... Ok. Thanks for that. Why didn't he attatch it then ??? He'd have to upload it to his webspace in that case rite ??
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
Attachment: Halo_2.gif (14.14 KB
:S:dodgy:

Btw all i did was open it in photoshop and go to "save for web" and saved it as a 64 bit gif with no dither.
RE: Picture Compression by John Anderton on 01-07-2005 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
You're worried that people will use your avitar, which you stole from the bungie.net website as their avitar
1st of all i was kidding and second of all i didn't get it from bugie.net or whateva. I found it in my test forum's avatar bank. There were lo of other cool ones but i took this one :@