Shoutbox

Logitech Messenger Plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Logitech Messenger Plus (/showthread.php?tid=36587)

Logitech Messenger Plus by user27089 on 01-07-2005 at 04:36 PM

Well I'm at my mates and his webcam is a 'messenger plus' webcam... its very strange lol:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=357847]

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by user13774 on 01-07-2005 at 04:48 PM

Well.. since Patchou doesn't have copyright on it, this sort of stuff can happen. I have a Logitech QuickCam Messenger... that probably is the plus version of my webcam. :happy:

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by xpirdwingz on 01-07-2005 at 04:53 PM

I have the same cam as youuu :D

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by Weyzza on 01-07-2005 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Well.. since Patchou doesn't have copyright on it, this sort of stuff can happen. I have a Logitech QuickCam Messenger... that probably is the plus version of my webcam. :happy:
I think Patchou does have copyright on it.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=35...d=347402#pid347402
RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by WDZ on 01-07-2005 at 06:02 PM

There is specifically an exclamation point (!) after "Plus" in Patchou's trademark, and I think that actually matters... :p

The name "Messenger Plus" without the exclamation is registered to eFax...

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7313,00.asp

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by user27089 on 01-07-2005 at 07:25 PM

I saw it and stared at it for a few moments, its quite strange really, I thought that it may have done some crazy messenger plus! stuff, but then I thought that was dumb, so I posted the picture of it, its quite strange seeing messenger plus wrote on something that you know obviously isn't messenger plus, I got really confused tbh :)...

quote:
Originally posted by msgplus.net

Messenger Plus!™ ©2001-2004 by Patchou
Windows, MSN and MSN Messenger are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Any other trademarks are property of their owners.
This site is not affiliated in any way with Microsoft Corporation.

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by Patchou on 01-07-2005 at 07:33 PM

I have a trademark on "Messenger Plus!" which means that I can legally challenge anyone using this name, even without the exclamation point. For the record, eFax is trying to register this name and they won't succeed (they gave me some troubles two years ago and I'm not about to forget about it :refuck:).

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care about othercompanies using "Messenger Plus" as long as it does not conflict woth my own software. Nobody has anything to earn in that kind of legal issue so I prefer to keep it simple. The only reason why I actually registered a trademark is to defend myself against comapnies like eFax that want to profit from the success of others.

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by Vilkku on 01-07-2005 at 07:35 PM

What id eFax try to do? What kind of company are they?

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by user27089 on 01-07-2005 at 07:39 PM

eFax are a company that specializes in modems and stuff I think, click on 'DZ's link to have a look at the stuff that they sell or whatnot...

I didn't think that the characters used when Copyrighting something varied anything to be honest... Don't let them get the name patchou :@... Tis your name, and will stay as your name as long as I live...

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by saralk on 01-08-2005 at 10:55 AM

if Patchou is a company, is Frasie employed as Patchou's secutary?

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by user13774 on 01-11-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I have a trademark on "Messenger Plus!" which means that I can legally challenge anyone using this name, even without the exclamation point.

:shocked: :embarrassed:

I'm such a retard...... there is Messenger Plus!™ ©2001-2004 by Patchou on the bottom of the forum and website...

:dodgy: :wall:
RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by M73A on 01-11-2005 at 07:45 PM

lol, does it cost nefin to copyright fings? wouldnt ave fort ! wud make a dif....owel

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by user13774 on 01-12-2005 at 12:16 PM

I guess you do have to buy copyrights on something..

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by Fraisie on 01-12-2005 at 02:24 PM

Yes, it does cost money to try to get copyright on something.

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by Munty on 01-12-2005 at 03:21 PM

As far as i know Patchou has copyrighted everything to do with Messenger plus.

Copyrights might cost quite a bit of  cash, im not sure.

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by user27089 on 01-12-2005 at 07:19 PM

Yes it does, it can cost quite a bit, depending on what you want to copyright, if its music or something, then you can send it through recorded delivery back to your house, and it will get to you, but thats a cheap copyright ;). It can cost loads for you to copyright something, and I wouldn't do it unless its completely necessary if I were you...

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/

thats how you would go about copyrighting something afaik...

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by _Humphreys on 01-12-2005 at 07:21 PM

What sucks about copyrighting is I think you can only copyright summit for 50 years. :P

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by user27089 on 01-12-2005 at 07:22 PM

I think thats the total amount you can copyright something, but I'm not entirely sure, I don't see why there would be restrictions though... It would cost a hell of a lot of money to do so, it costs £60 to protect an alias for 2 years... :-/... multiply that by 25...

RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by _Humphreys on 01-12-2005 at 07:25 PM

These are the limits :

Duration of copyright

The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright as;

1. For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

If the author is unknown, copyright will last for 70 years from end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is made available to the public during that time, (by publication, authorised performance, broadcast, exhibition, etc.), copyright will run for 70 years from the end of the year that the work was first made available.
   2. Sound Recordings and broadcasts

50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, or,

if the work is released within that time: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first released.
   3. Films

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last principal director, author or composer dies.

If the work is of unknown authorship: 70 years from end of the calendar year of creation, or if made available to the public in that time, 70 years from the end of the year the film was first made available.
   4. Typographical arrangement of published editions

25 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first published.
   5. Broadcasts and cable programmes

50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the broadcast was made.

I acutally looked for it. :o
RE: RE: Logitech Messenger Plus by Guido on 01-12-2005 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
Yes, it does cost money to try to get copyright on something.

Well, actually, it costs money to register stuff. Such as registered trademarks, or patents. Copyrights are, technically, automatic and you can't "get" them anywhere, they are the rights you have over things you create.

Registered trademarks and other legal methods help you prove who created something first, though. That costs money, in most cases.

And, while the ! matters, it can be argued that a product named "Messenger Plus" is a direct copy of "Messenger Plus!" as far as I know.

This Logitech camera is no problem because it's just part of the model name:
Logitech Quickcam Messenger Plus

Such as Genius' optical mouse plus series; while MS copyrights the "Plus!" trademark, they can't be sued for using the Plus word. (same goes for msgplus)