Shoutbox

Locking computer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Locking computer (/showthread.php?tid=36773)

Locking computer by Anubis on 01-10-2005 at 01:20 PM

I'm currently at school and the network technician has just told me that he's going to disable being able to Lock computers on the LAN. Already when you connect on the secondary server the lock computer button on the windows security panel is greyed out...
The server and all computers on it (except the laptops on the WiFi but that's not important) are running Windows 2000.
What I really need is either a way just to lock the computer anyway or some kind of applications that can't be ended in the task manager to close (of course that will be hard because the processes can be ended)...I have little experience with LANs but I'm going to assume there may be some way to make an application which will trigger the lock on the computer connected to the LAN...I really need this because there's some people I don't trust that may close work I'm doing when I'm logged on and have to leave the computer for a few minutes...
Cheers in advance...

RE: Locking computer by Geniuzzz on 01-10-2005 at 01:26 PM

Hi,

write a small application that
* runs full-screen only and can't loose focus
* intercepts all keyboard input (including alt-ctrl-del)
* requires a password to quit
* give it some other features...

This should do the work.

RE: Locking computer by Ash_ on 01-10-2005 at 02:03 PM

bah bring that copy of Linux that boots from cd to school lol.

anyway Windows Key + L logs the computer off but (tried in XP at school using Novell  (or something :P) . anyway when you press them keys it brings up a screen like the logon one but you can still logon to your account with all the stuff still there. ( Like in windows XP switch user)

to log back in you need to put in your username and pass ( if thats the way it works in your school :P)

RE: Locking computer by Ezra on 01-11-2005 at 04:47 PM

They did that with our network too, but this site explains how to still lock it, they work at my school with Windows 2000 and Novell.

Now only you and an admin can unlock it :-)

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=70

RE: Locking computer by Stigmata on 01-11-2005 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
anyway Windows Key + L logs the computer off
hmmmm
we lock our pc's with windows start menu button + L
thats windows nt though..

RE: Locking computer by M73A on 01-11-2005 at 06:15 PM

hmm tlkin bout skool pc's is there anyway to turn off the restrictions for rm connect 3? using windows xp?

RE: Locking computer by Ezra on 01-11-2005 at 08:17 PM

what kind of program is rm connect 3?

RE: Locking computer by M73A on 01-11-2005 at 08:37 PM

http://www.rm.com/Secondary/Products/Story.asp?cr...&catref=937.2.2.37

its basically a program fing dat can restrict basically any part of windows. and has a logon screen of its own....

RE: Locking computer by spokes on 01-11-2005 at 08:42 PM

that thing is annoyin, they disabled the properties windows in my skool, and they put a file in the start menu for everyone to read and i got on there edited it and if u r quik enuff to uncheck read only on the secnd you hav of the properties window bein there you can save it, lol

RE: Locking computer by M73A on 01-11-2005 at 08:47 PM

i have this file: its registry entries that disable most of the restrictions.

also in the .zip is a collection of windows commands, apprently if u take a copy of command.exe on a disk or sumfing u can do basically anything u want.

RE: Locking computer by saralk on 01-11-2005 at 08:54 PM

With RM connect (we have that at school), ill give you one tip to wreak havoc - net send.

(be warned I got it so much trouble for this)

RE: Locking computer by M73A on 01-11-2005 at 08:57 PM

net send? whats that? how u do it? so what shud b worth the hassle, or i'll persuade ma m8 (known as brains of the operation) to do it, lol he dus loadsa stuff to the skool pc's its funni he noes em on 1st name terms in the admin office, lol

RE: Locking computer by Plik on 01-11-2005 at 09:05 PM

net send is a messaging utility you can access using command prompt. It sends a message to whatever computer/username you specify.
For example

code:
net send madman66 "Im am sending a message"
Would send the user "madman6" the message "Im am sending a message".
And it would popup on his screen in a dialogbox that shows the computer that the senders on, and the message.
This can be disabled though and some schools have disabled it.
Oh and another hint for net send: Wildcards ;)
RE: Locking computer by Chris.1 on 01-11-2005 at 10:46 PM

net send * "phj3ar m3!"

;)

RE: Locking computer by Stigmata on 01-11-2005 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.
net send * "phj3ar m3!"

;)

haha send to everyone on the network :D

yeh i made some programs that did stuff on the network, change passsword etc then traxor deleted my only copy(twat!!):D

here is my messenger program :D

http://plasticangels.com/?code=mydl

called nt messenger but works on any windows network :D
RE: Locking computer by M73A on 01-12-2005 at 07:29 PM

OMG, GREAT!!!!!!! i did find a site with a link to sumguy who HATED rm and u cud basically do anything you wanted to the system/network....but the damn site dont exist no more:'(:'(:'(

RE: Locking computer by _Humphreys on 01-12-2005 at 07:33 PM

lol Thanks Anubis. We have to all sign this form at school now cause of this to say if we use the pc's we won't try anything dodgy. :^)

RE: Locking computer by saralk on 01-12-2005 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
OMG, GREAT!!!!!!! i did find a site with a link to sumguy who HATED rm and u cud basically do anything you wanted to the system/network....but the damn site dont exist no more:'(:'(:'(

google cache?
RE: Locking computer by M73A on 01-12-2005 at 08:52 PM

yea i tryed that but the DL's wernt there anymore:|