Shoutbox

Microsoft logs conversations? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Microsoft logs conversations? (/showthread.php?tid=36872)

Microsoft logs conversations? by rix on 01-12-2005 at 06:06 AM

Hi!

I've heard that Microsoft logs all actions used by users and also chat-logs. Hard to belive it, cause it would be very impressive and excessive data. In the other hand, Microsoft hasn't got resource shortage. (A)

And all I wanna know is, is it truth?

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by Weyzza on 01-12-2005 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
Hard to belive it, cause it would be very impressive and excessive data.
I tend to believe this one.

If you want to tell us a "good" rumour or something, you ought to give the source of the news you got from.
If you just heard it from some guy when you were eating in a restaurant, then it is not worth to be asked ;)
RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by Geniuzzz on 01-12-2005 at 06:54 AM

quote:
In the other hand, Microsoft hasn't got resource shortage.

any idea about the storage space this would require???

quote:

You have something to hide?
RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by Hank on 01-12-2005 at 07:15 AM

i highly doubt its true, what Microsoft does do is Get Information from your MSN Messenger

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by Phrive on 01-12-2005 at 08:01 AM

There was a chat about this once, the log was on mess, and they asked if they phreak msn, and this is basically phreaking it and then saving it so i dont think they do, It's not like BT save all your phone conversations etc....

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by qune on 01-12-2005 at 08:03 AM

you doubt it?.. have you ever heard of saying that rich is the one who has the information?.. take a look at this video and try to figure it out...;)

http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/

imho you can never be too sure...

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by haydos on 01-12-2005 at 08:52 AM

k im not sure about this but it says here that u can look at previous messages.... surely this means there must be sum sort of log???^o)

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by John Anderton on 01-12-2005 at 08:56 AM

I dont think so cause it would just need too much space. What about online privacy ???

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by CookieRevised on 01-12-2005 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
I've heard that Microsoft logs all actions used by users and also chat-logs. Hard to belive it, cause it would be very impressive and excessive data.
absolutely not... this is the typical "let's all hate MS and be paronoid"-stuff...

If all this was true (about MS spying on you) then MS wouldn't exist anymore and would already been sued to kingdom hell by billions of people...

quote:
Originally posted by inc_haydn
k im not sure about this but it says here that u can look at previous messages.... surely this means there must be sum sort of log???^o)
ermm.... This has nothing todo with the subject. What you showed is the option to read your previous logs. Logs which are saved on your computer. This isn't an option to show that your conversations are send to Microsoft.

Almost every program saves logs or saves settings on your computer. This is what 99% of the PC-world does. This has nothing todo with security/privacy at all.

I suggest to learn a bit more about computers before believing everything what people say, especially with things like this (no offense though).

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by mad_onion on 01-12-2005 at 05:53 PM

oh my cheese. did you purposely make this thread to create argument?
of course microsoft dont do this because its aganist the law. you can choose messenger to store logs on your pc and also you can participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Program which sends usage info to Microsoft but not personal information. (i do and i urge you all to if you want messenger to improve, you cant really complain if messenger isnt how you like it if you wont help them) it almost makes my laugh how desperate some people are to make some kind of thread about how bad microsoft.

RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by Flames on 01-12-2005 at 06:24 PM

i guess you are right onion, it's illegal to obtain people private information WITHOUT his/her permission
however, in msn messenger you can choose whether or not you want to participate in the Customer Improvment Program, so if you want to participate, then Microsoft will send information on how you use msn messenger... so that's legit. on the other hand, ms will never send your information to them if you dont want to participate/ without your permission. my friends agree with me too

however, i dont know if microsoft will log all your conversation... so i suggest not to log your conversation on msn messenger (just in case if this is true), but i dont think this is true! :D 99% sure that this is a rumor

RE: RE: Microsoft logs conversations? by Guido on 01-12-2005 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I suggest to learn a bit more about computers before believing everything what people say, especially with things like this (no offense though).
It's not computer knowledge, it's common sense...

Even if they did monitor chats, which they wouldn't do by hosting the logs of all their user but by doing simple monitoring on some words for important (government) security purposes, it shouldn't matter to you. Microsoft doesn't care about where you are going next saturday night or who will you be seeing in the cinema later today. Bill Gates doesn't need to use your credit card to buy stuff either, if you even pass that kind of information through MSN Messenger. That said, if you think about it it's obvious that they don't even care about monitoring chats. It's just too much work (=money)and it's likely that people who are serious threats to the world's security don't use MSN Messenger to exchange confidential informations. :rolleyes:

If you are still paranoid, use Skype which sends messages p2p (without passing through a server, such as Messenger) and encrypted. www.skype.com