Shoutbox

Custom Name Sortting - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Custom Name Sortting (/showthread.php?tid=38016)

Custom Name Sortting by JGunn on 02-06-2005 at 07:08 PM

I have looked around the preference menus and have not found any answer to my issue.

I am trying to arrange my contact list by Custom Name.  However, with Custom name enabled, it seems that the only sortting method is by email address.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

RE: Custom Name Sortting by x2zen on 02-06-2005 at 07:10 PM

No there isnt. With Custom names Plus! uses the "Show by email" function in MSN Messenger, and therefore its sorted by emails.

RE: Custom Name Sortting by JGunn on 02-07-2005 at 03:48 PM

That's no good.

I find that most people who use MSN have incredibly long nick names and in some cases don't even have their name included, they just have a random statement.

That is why I use the custom name feature.  However, then it is is a pain to try and find the contacts because they are out of alphabetical order.

As a suggestion, it'd be great to be able to sort the custom names alphabetically in a future version of MSG Plus!

Thanks for the help anyway though.

-JGunn

RE: Custom Name Sortting by toddy on 02-07-2005 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JGunn
As a suggestion, it'd be great to be able to sort the custom names alphabetically in a future version of MSG Plus!

its not possible !!! as it uses the "Show by email" function in MSN Messenger which means it sorts the people alphabetically by they email.
The only way if would be possible is if msn allow you to sort contacts how u want in later versions of messenger
RE: Custom Name Sortting by haydos on 02-08-2005 at 09:14 AM

wouldnt it b simpler to just make a group for the contacts you think you will talk to often?

RE: Custom Name Sortting by Edna Mode on 02-08-2005 at 10:10 AM

yeh, and if your looking for a sertain contact in you list and cant find them, press the first letter of there custom nickname and it will go through them if you continue to press the key

RE: Custom Name Sortting by haydos on 02-08-2005 at 11:10 AM

that duznt work for me???

RE: Custom Name Sortting by Edna Mode on 02-08-2005 at 11:17 AM

it always works for me

RE: Custom Name Sortting by Ansette on 02-08-2005 at 11:23 AM

surely you could also just use the desktop contacts feature? that wud allow only a few special contacts to be shown... easy!

RE: RE: Custom Name Sortting by haydos on 02-08-2005 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Violet
it always works for me

I think i know y mine didnt work.... i use <colour>(!N) for my custom nicks so the 1st letter wont work
RE: Custom Name Sortting by Edna Mode on 02-08-2005 at 11:40 AM

oh, ok, i dont use colour thats why i thought you could do it

RE: RE: Custom Name Sortting by Steev on 03-28-2005 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Edna Mode
yeh, and if your looking for a sertain contact in you list and cant find them, press the first letter of there custom nickname and it will go through them if you continue to press the key

Actually, you can't do this, if you type in the contact list, it will search by the first letter of the email address, not the custom name.  I assume this is because the contact list is by email under the covers.

Try this by naming a contact a name starting with a completely different letter than their email address.
RE: Custom Name Sortting by CookieRevised on 03-28-2005 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steev
Actually, you can't do this, if you type in the contact list, it will search by the first letter of the email address, not the custom name.  I assume this is because the contact list is by email under the covers.

Try this by naming a contact a name starting with a completely different letter than their email address.
It does select on the custom name, not on the email address (in messenger 6... didn't tested in 7 yet, but that should be the same)
RE: RE: Custom Name Sortting by Steev on 03-29-2005 at 02:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It does select on the custom name, not on the email address (in messenger 6... didn't tested in 7 yet, but that should be the same)

Yep.  I'm using 7.  It doesn't work.
RE: Custom Name Sortting by Lilo on 03-29-2005 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JGunn
I find that most people who use MSN have incredibly long nick names and in some cases don't even have their name included, they just have a random statement.

That is why I use the custom name feature.  However, then it is is a pain to try and find the contacts because they are out of alphabetical order.-JGunn

What you can do (ok, its not really a good solution, but perhaps a little bit more well-organised, like you want), you can set custom names for everyone using their emailadresses "(!M)" (type it without the "), and then they are sorted alphabetically (as you see the emailadresses, and the list is sorted by emailadress). Hope that you understand, and that perhaps it is useful to you :)
RE: Custom Name Sortting by Zephyr on 03-29-2005 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lilo

What you can do (ok, its not really a good solution, but perhaps a little bit more well-organised, like you want), you can set custom names for everyone using their emailadresses "(!M)" (type it without the "), and then they are sorted alphabetically (as you see the emailadresses, and the list is sorted by emailadress). Hope that you understand, and that perhaps it is useful to you

Cant you just simply disable custom names and sort contacts by email address using msn messenger.

Contacts -> manage contacts -> View contacts by -> email address.
RE: Custom Name Sortting by CookieRevised on 03-29-2005 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
Cant you just simply disable custom names and sort contacts by email address using msn messenger.

Contacts -> manage contacts -> View contacts by -> email address.
yes, but the point is sorting with "custom names".

RE: Custom Name Sortting by Zephyr on 03-29-2005 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
yes, but the point is sorting with "custom names".

Sorry, I was just replying to Lilo's suggestion.