Shoutbox

Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=38407)

Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by matty on 02-13-2005 at 07:15 PM

Since we are in the process of testing the current beta. What about having sub forum that can only be seen by the beta testers for them to post the bugs they find and others can confirm this and it will save time with multiple emails of the same issue being sent to Patchou.

Anyone else agree that this would be a good idea. DZ you could get the list from Patchou on who is all testers on the forum. I think it would be a good idea. Anyone else agree?

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Eljay on 02-13-2005 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Anyone else (who is a tester) agree?

yeh i think it would be a much easier way of reporting bugs/problems
RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by x2zen on 02-13-2005 at 07:23 PM

Would be a lot easier and faster way of posting bugs etc for you guys

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Jhrono on 02-13-2005 at 07:29 PM

I'm not a tester but i agree...just remember to hide the topics from the last post place:P....

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by saralk on 02-13-2005 at 07:57 PM

yeah, it would also be usefull to give all beta testers a list of the other beta tester's msn addresses. so we can test sounds out.

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Chestah on 02-13-2005 at 08:00 PM

yeah i agree i've already found 2 bugs within the new beta which i bet you guys have found as well ;)
Also i need to get more of you guys email to test some features :)

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by saralk on 02-13-2005 at 08:02 PM

my msn add is saral[at]fw6.net, add me if you have the beta

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Chestah on 02-13-2005 at 08:11 PM

cool anyone else :P?

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Menthix on 02-13-2005 at 08:24 PM

I agree, could be very usefull. I think it was suggested during some past beta tests too. But keep in mind that whatever you would discuss in such a forum.... you still need to report bugs to patchou, and when you see somebody discovered a bug on the forum, that doesn't mean you shouldn't report that bug... ppl report bugs in diffrent ways, all reports combined could make the diffrence between a fix or not. However, if everyone is gonna report the same it won't help either.

But i think it's good and will probally improve the overall quality of beta testing :D.

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Stigmata on 02-13-2005 at 08:36 PM

good idea, but patchou doesnt keep a list (i believe he said that before)

anyway, this is better then email because other people can say if its just the os or a personal computer problem

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by leito on 02-13-2005 at 08:36 PM

For this release Patchou choose the beta testers. Yeah, I think the sub forum will be great.

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Menthix on 02-13-2005 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
patchou doesnt keep a list
He deletes thos lists after a beta has ended. But sure he has a list now, how can he send new build to the tester otherwise? :)

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
other people can say if its just the os or a personal computer problem
Yes, you can figure such things out on the forum, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't report. If a certain thing in a beta doesn't work on a certain OS or because you are running an other program which is incompatible, i'm sure Patchou likes to know that aswell. In theory every feature should work on every PC and config, except for the limitations Patchou mentioned.

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Mike on 02-13-2005 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, I agree, go on :)
However, there are some "beta testers" that have been selected by Patchou to test the 3.50 version only (like me) .
These people don't have a sticker and it would be harder to see find out all the beta testers...

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Jeronimo on 02-13-2005 at 10:22 PM

It would be nice to have a separate forum, as seeing other bugs would allow us to test them in different environments, OS's etc.

Also it would be nice to know who the other testers are so we can build a list of them to test out the new sounds on each other :)

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Menthix on 02-13-2005 at 10:25 PM

That's why we should use Patchou's list. WDZ, i noticed you're not replying... if you don't want to do/support this idea, just tell us. We won't blame you... but if it can't be done here, we can find another place for private beta discussions.

If PAtchou aproves ofcourse.

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Sunshine on 02-13-2005 at 11:16 PM

Hmm, i guess i'm the only one not seeing any use for this kinda subforum.

Reasons:[list][*]We all should report anyway.
[*]Every tester should find his/her own bugs.
(not report just because someone else posted it, just to report something..yeah yeah i know i'm assuming things here) :chrongue:

[*]Patchou can only find out wether you are a serious tester or not by the reports you send.
[*]What good is it for us to know wich bugs are found on someone elses system, they are gonna be fixed anyway.

RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by matty on 02-13-2005 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Hmm, i guess i'm the only one not seeing any use for this kinda subforum.

Reasons:[list][*]We all should report anyway.
[*]Every tester should find his/her own bugs.
(not report just because someone else posted it, just to report something..yeah yeah i know i'm assuming things here) :chrongue:

[*]Patchou can only find out wether you are a serious tester or not by the reports you send.
[*]What good is it for us to know wich bugs are found on someone elses system, they are gonna be fixed anyway.
This also gives the ability for other testers to try and recreate the bug.
RE: Temporary Sub Forum idea by Sunshine on 02-13-2005 at 11:25 PM

quote:
This also gives the ability for other testers to try and recreate the bug.

Why do so? Wether or not you find any depends on lots of things (OS, plugins, patches, other installed software). If it is reported, it's reported. I don't think we are supposed to try and duplicate already found bugs, the one who found the bug can test if it's solved in the next beta. Also betatesters can test together, also discuss it on MSN if they want.
RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by Patchou on 02-14-2005 at 12:33 AM

quote:
That's why we should use Patchou's list. WDZ, i noticed you're not replying... if you don't want to do/support this idea, just tell us. We won't blame you
inthe countrary, of course we will! ;)

off to the restaurant I go (St Valentin...)
RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by matty on 02-14-2005 at 12:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
inthe countrary, of course we will! ;)

off to the restaurant I go (St Valentin...)

:O! Patchou spamming again...

Be prepared I have a big list. And is this Patchou agreeing with this or not?
RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by Purity on 02-14-2005 at 12:57 AM

I also agree....

RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by ~INVASION~ on 02-14-2005 at 01:23 AM

this is a great idea cause i keep reaching my contact list capacity from adding everybody for testing

good idea(y)

RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by Pr0xY on 02-14-2005 at 02:47 AM

I like this idea, it would be alot easier for us and for Patchou. 

I have a request for a IRC Channel for just the beta testers, that way I could ask other testers that are not on my list to test a certain thing.  it would also be alot easier then IM'ing every one of them. 

RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by Cromp on 02-14-2005 at 03:11 AM

The IRC channel sounds better than a sub forum :P due to it being quicker and easier to talk/reply.

* Cromp backs away from this thread, as not a plus beta tester, just bored.

RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by Omar on 02-14-2005 at 03:46 AM

i think its a good idea... :P

RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by Cromp on 02-14-2005 at 03:49 AM

you dont need to spam ideas across to people, as your only testing, so you only need to talk to people who are online now, and dont need to leave messages for peope who arn't online.

i.e. irc is the simple solution.

RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by WDZ on 02-14-2005 at 04:06 AM

quote:
And is this Patchou agreeing with this or not?
That's what I want to know... :dodgy:

I haven't replied yet because the same thing is being discussed in the staff forum. I want a real answer from Patchou (whether or not he approves of the new forum)... :dodgy:
RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by leito on 02-14-2005 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cromp
you dont need to spam ideas across to people, as your only testing, so you only need to talk to people who are online now, and dont need to leave messages for peope who arn't online.

Cromp, well I don't think you should tell people what to do.  Its ok if you like the IRC solution (even if you are not beta testing) but some people thing the forum type discussion is better. I preffer the forum type solution but, its ok we can Beta Test Plus! without it,
RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by Eljay on 02-14-2005 at 07:48 AM

i think this would ease the amount of testing patchou has to do, because if somebody finds a bug then sends it to patchou, he will have to test it to see if it happens for him as well. with this forum, we could simply post bugs and all the other testers would be able to see if they existed on their system, not only reducing patchous workload, but also ensuring its tested on multiple different system setups as well :)

just my two cents :P

RE: Plus! Beta Temporary Sub Forum Suggestion by surfichris on 02-14-2005 at 07:52 AM

Okay, even though it has been mentioned in the thread in the staff forum i'll cross post some things:

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Beta testers aren't in their own usergroup. Major changes would be needed to make all parts of the MyBB permissions system support the tester status... :-/
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
But some are in the Elite group and not the Tester group, and some are Testers but not Elite. :dodgy:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

I suppose I could set up another new group with access to the Elite forum AND the beta forum...
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

Thing is though, some testers dont even have the beta this time and some people who arent testers have it..

There is a bit more in the thread but this is the general reason why nothing has been done and why there isn't a forum.

I'll close this thread for now, pending WDZ's decision on what to do about this and I don't feel once again that we need a three page thread on something like this which is a decision for Patchou/WDZ and the other forum staff to make...