Shoutbox

Impossible due to protocol - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Impossible due to protocol (/showthread.php?tid=39350)

Impossible due to protocol by TheBlasphemer on 03-01-2005 at 10:49 AM

Alright, I hear a lot of people (rightfully) say that some things are impossible due to the protocol,
But there are always people absolutely sure that it is possible...

I somehow doubt those people even know what the protocol is, and therefor I think it needs some clearing up...

As humans, we can communicate because we both know english. if I say dog, you know what I'm talking about, if I say cat, you know what I'm talking about.
However, when one of us suddenly starts using spanish words, you would not be able to understand me anymore, unless also you spoke spanish...

The same story applies for Messenger, the protocol is like a language it uses to commicate with other Messengers, and you cannot add new things unless it is somehow defined in the protocol. and you CAN add new stuff, but then other messengers you are communicating with would need that same stuff too, else they would no longer be able to work together. So you can add new stuff like display pictures for different contacts, but your contacts would need to install the same plugin/program, and contacts not doing that would not even see your DP.

I hope this cleared up a bit,
if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask :)

RE: Impossible due to protocol by M73A on 03-04-2005 at 06:11 PM

so diferent DP's for diferent contacts is definitely out for only one person having the patch/program?

RE: Impossible due to protocol by toddy on 03-04-2005 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
so diferent DP's for diferent contacts is definitely out

no, well shouldn't be. since M_E made a plugin that could show different names to different people. so one should be able, to be made the same way
RE: Impossible due to protocol by Stigmata on 03-04-2005 at 06:15 PM

no thats chat only name

when you send a instant message, it also sends the email + friendly name with it, just replace the name sent :P and hey presto :P

RE: Impossible due to protocol by M73A on 03-04-2005 at 06:20 PM

damn had ma hopes up when Toddy said about different names for different people. oh well

RE: Impossible due to protocol by Stigmata on 03-04-2005 at 06:39 PM

quote:
damn had ma hopes up when Toddy said about different names for different people. oh well

custom contact names ??
RE: Impossible due to protocol by Dempsey on 03-04-2005 at 06:42 PM

no not custom contact names, Chat only name

quote:
Originally posted by Toddy
a plugin that could show different names to different people.

quote:

RE: Impossible due to protocol by (CyBeRDuDe) on 03-06-2005 at 08:58 AM

Hmm... about the different DP for each contact, and/or setting your own custom DP for your contacts(their dp), would infact be possible... by only the one person having the program... it just needs to be a proxy or do some sock hooking as MD,  I am not sure wheter what I say now is correct and up to date with MSN and the new protocol, since I haven't followed the prootocl since MSN 6.2... but well... Wouldn't it be possible to just use proxy and then interfere when the dp's are sent/recived? the dp¨'s are sent as pure binary, if I'm not mistaking?... you could then just send another DP as binary instead of the original that MSN sends.. and vice versa when reciving dp's.. just send your own dp binary to the client instead of the one recieved by the proxy.... This should in general work , right?.... but not many people likes to use external proxies to shit like this, and with MSN 7, it's really hard to make a proxy, right?... so then I guess you should use some sock hooking?, then you would also be able to make it as a plugin instead of external program?.. am I right?.... Or am I all wrong about this?

RE: Impossible due to protocol by TheBlasphemer on 03-06-2005 at 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
Hmm... about the different DP for each contact, and/or setting your own custom DP for your contacts(their dp), would infact be possible... by only the one person having the program... it just needs to be a proxy or do some sock hooking as MD,  I am not sure wheter what I say now is correct and up to date with MSN and the new protocol, since I haven't followed the prootocl since MSN 6.2... but well... Wouldn't it be possible to just use proxy and then interfere when the dp's are sent/recived? the dp¨'s are sent as pure binary, if I'm not mistaking?... you could then just send another DP as binary instead of the original that MSN sends.. and vice versa when reciving dp's.. just send your own dp binary to the client instead of the one recieved by the proxy.... This should in general work , right?.... but not many people likes to use external proxies to shit like this, and with MSN 7, it's really hard to make a proxy, right?... so then I guess you should use some sock hooking?, then you would also be able to make it as a plugin instead of external program?.. am I right?.... Or am I all wrong about this?

No, MSN sends a little hash to the server, which the server sends to all your contacts. when a contact gets your DP, it checks it with that hash to check if it hasn't been corrupted during transfer....
RE: Impossible due to protocol by Dark Link on 03-06-2005 at 04:15 PM

But what does stuffplug NG to put the images bigger???

RE: Impossible due to protocol by TheBlasphemer on 03-06-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Link
But what does stuffplug NG to put the images bigger???

Lots of really advanced patches in Messengers code ;)
RE: Impossible due to protocol by Dark Link on 03-06-2005 at 05:33 PM

quote:
so diferent DP's for diferent contacts is definitely out for only one person having the patch/program?
Even the other way, how can we do it?
RE: Impossible due to protocol by (CyBeRDuDe) on 03-06-2005 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
No, MSN sends a little hash to the server, which the server sends to all your contacts. when a contact gets your DP, it checks it with that hash to check if it hasn't been corrupted during transfer....

Ok, thanks for the information.. At least it would be possible in Msn 6.xx /MSNP9/MSNP10, right?... there were no hashing in those versions?... Are am I wrong on this too? Does this count for both msn 6.xx and msn 7.xx?
RE: Impossible due to protocol by TheBlasphemer on 03-06-2005 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer

Ok, thanks for the information.. At least it would be possible in Msn 6.xx /MSNP9/MSNP10, right?... there were no hashing in those versions?... Are am I wrong on this too? Does this count for both msn 6.xx and msn 7.xx?

counts for both 6 and 7, please read up on the protocol before making stupid suggestions, kthnxbye

RE: Impossible due to protocol by squall_leonhart69r on 03-17-2005 at 12:37 PM

watch your mouth blasphemer

you have no right to put a person down like that

people like you don't belong on a public forum

RE: RE: Impossible due to protocol by Ash_ on 03-17-2005 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
watch your mouth blasphemer

you have no right to put a person down like that

people like you don't belong on a public forum

calm down man. its ok.

im pretty sure The Blasphemer was just mucking around with CyBeRDuDe, and i can see where he is coming from.

The Question shoud have been looked into before asking, this is much like when people say 'google it', Cyberdude maybe should have looked into the Protocol documentation before posting a question. Much like we all should. ( No offence or anything Cyberdude :P)

RE: Impossible due to protocol by squall_leonhart69r on 03-17-2005 at 01:01 PM

its still not nice to be that harsh saying that his suggestions are stupid

maybe there is a way,

if not think of this ok

i play freelancer with my own set of plugins ok

i then connect to a server with those plugins and they still work

(i use a battlecruiser mod)

no one else has this mod yet load up the map, everyone sees i have the battlecruiser without needing the mod i have

so you see,

not everyone needs to mod/plugin to see it,

i guess mine might be on a different line of things though

RE: RE: Impossible due to protocol by Ash_ on 03-17-2005 at 01:14 PM

quote:
its still not nice to be that harsh saying that his suggestions are stupidv

maybe there is a way,

if not think of this ok

i play freelancer with my own set of plugins ok

i then connect to a server with those plugins and they still work

(i use a battlecruiser mod)

no one else has this mod yet load up the map, everyone sees i have the battlecruiser without needing the mod i have

so you see,

not everyone needs to mod/plugin to see it,

i guess mine might be on a different line of things though

ok the top line was all that made sense to me.

quote:
its still not nice to be that harsh saying that his suggestions are stupid

where did freelancer come from, and how does it fit in?

ive read your post 4 times now and im schmozzled.
RE: Impossible due to protocol by squall_leonhart69r on 03-17-2005 at 01:18 PM

well freelancer is a game of set code isn't it

and the mod modified coding within my version of the game

but it doesn't modify the code of other members

now when i buy the battle cruiser it is really only a modified small fighter

the other people who don't have my mod pack should see the small fighter becoz they have the original code, but they don't, they see my battle cruiser

thats all i mean...

RE: RE: Impossible due to protocol by Ash_ on 03-17-2005 at 01:22 PM

quote:
well freelancer is a game of set code isn't it

and the mod modified coding within my version of the game

but it doesn't modify the code of other members

now when i buy the battle cruiser it is really only a modified small fighter

the other people who don't have my mod pack should see the small fighter becoz they have the original code, but they don't, they see my battle cruiser

thats all i mean...

err ok.

how does this tie in with stupid suggestions?
RE: Impossible due to protocol by squall_leonhart69r on 03-17-2005 at 01:24 PM

well the game server would send a hash to the other players to say i own a valkyrie fighter,

but when i load up i have a battle cruiser and they can see that, so doesn't that work out funny...

RE: RE: Impossible due to protocol by Ash_ on 03-17-2005 at 01:26 PM

quote:
well the game server would send a hash to the other players to say i own a valkyrie fighter,

but when i load up i have a battle cruiser and they can see that, so doesn't that work out funny...

seriously, this isnt making any sense. and i have no idea how this goes back to The Blasphemer and CyBeRDuDe :undecided:
RE: Impossible due to protocol by squall_leonhart69r on 03-17-2005 at 01:34 PM

well they were saying that msn sends a hash to show your current nickname so you can't have multiple nicknames for different people

and what im saying is that freelancer sends a hash to say i own a valkyrie fighter, but when i start play i have my battle cruiser and everyone sees its a battle cruiser

RE: Impossible due to protocol by slang123 on 03-17-2005 at 08:37 PM

Question: I was always wondering, why does plus! send personalized status' and formatting through the msn protocol so that it works transparently for people without plus?
It's not a critisism, just curious

Edit: same question for the ping command

RE: RE: Impossible due to protocol by Ash_ on 03-18-2005 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by slang123
Question: I was always wondering, why does plus! send personalized status' and formatting through the msn protocol so that it works transparently for people without plus?
It's not a critisism, just curious

Edit: same question for the ping command

well, im pretty sure you've answered your own question.

quote:
so that it works transparently for people without plus?

thats probably the reason. and as for the ping command basically the same. if you dont have Msg Plus! you will simply think the person is sending you text.
RE: Impossible due to protocol by slang123 on 03-18-2005 at 06:19 AM

Oops, sorry. i meant "doesn't" not "does". I remember the ping thing being about privisy, and the personalized stutus being for those who dont have plus! So i guess that basically answers my own question

RE: Impossible due to protocol by Stof91 on 03-22-2005 at 06:44 PM

Hmmmm, it is possible.
Definatly.

But i'm not sure if it's possible with the official client (it should need alot of patching)

Here's how the protocol works with dp:

When you sign in, it sends your status to the NS with the dp you assigned, only the local path to the dp. (This also happens every time you change your status/dp)

When a user opens a conversation with you, the client is going to ask for the file(you specified to the NS) via P2P.

Now the client sends the gif. But this is a diffrent process for every sb(conversation). So therefor you can just send any gif to the other user and user's client is going to accept it.

So it's possible in theory.

But i doubt it's possible with the official client, ofcourse there are enough opensource clients out there (aMsn, Gaim, ...) that can be edited.

Just my 2 cents....

RE: RE: Impossible due to protocol by Ash_ on 03-22-2005 at 08:21 PM

all you have to just done is to basically quote TB in your own words :undecided:

_anything_ is possible i mean if you patched it enough im sure you could even use MSN as a game server and send all the required data through the IM Client.

i mean you should read the first post before you post?

RE: RE: Impossible due to protocol by FineWolf on 05-28-2005 at 04:13 AM

quote:

No, Freelancer sends the FLHASH for the ship you are owning, the cruiser...

See, you modified the shop, allowing you to buy something that was in the game, but not available by default with the game.

It's the same thing for MSN plugins. You can give access to something that exists but isn't available to the end user or that isn't implented yet.
RE: Impossible due to protocol by TheBlasphemer on 05-28-2005 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stof91
Hmmmm, it is possible.
Definatly.

But i'm not sure if it's possible with the official client (it should need alot of patching)

Here's how the protocol works with dp:

When you sign in, it sends your status to the NS with the dp you assigned, only the local path to the dp. (This also happens every time you change your status/dp)

When a user opens a conversation with you, the client is going to ask for the file(you specified to the NS) via P2P.

Now the client sends the gif. But this is a diffrent process for every sb(conversation). So therefor you can just send any gif to the other user and user's client is going to accept it.

So it's possible in theory.

But i doubt it's possible with the official client, ofcourse there are enough opensource clients out there (aMsn, Gaim, ...) that can be edited.

Just my 2 cents....

No, you can't, since trough the NS you gave a hash that the other clients will check against.
RE: Impossible due to protocol by user27089 on 07-19-2005 at 04:31 PM

Nice explanation there TB... I used to get a little bit confused about some stuff, I know a lot more about it now than I used too... But this helped ;).