Shoutbox

Install counter-strike 1.6 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Install counter-strike 1.6 (/showthread.php?tid=39673)

Install counter-strike 1.6 by The_Thief on 03-06-2005 at 08:45 PM

In order for me to install counter-strike 1.6 over half-life I need to install it into the half-life directory right?

Sorry total newbie

RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by user27089 on 03-06-2005 at 08:48 PM

Yes you do :).

just found this:

Counter-Strike Info

RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by The_Thief on 03-06-2005 at 08:53 PM

An it's only playable online right?

RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by Eljay on 03-06-2005 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by serpico
An it's only playable online right?

yep :)
RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by The_Thief on 03-06-2005 at 09:06 PM

Oh ok.  Thanks

RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by slipstream3d on 03-07-2005 at 04:17 AM

If you install Steam and register your Half Life CD key with it, I believe you can just tell it to install Counter-Strike for you (unless I'm mistaken and you need the platinum pack that includes Counter Strike... if this is the case, you can still install Half Life in Steam and then install Counter Strike into THIS Half Life.)

Why would you use steam? Automatic updates! Woohoo, no stupid downloading patches every time something's updated!

RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by .blade// on 03-07-2005 at 04:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by slipstream3d
If you install Steam and register your Half Life CD key with it, I believe you can just tell it to install Counter-Strike for you (unless I'm mistaken and you need the platinum pack that includes Counter Strike... if this is the case, you can still install Half Life in Steam and then install Counter Strike into THIS Half Life.)

Why would you use steam? Automatic updates! Woohoo, no stupid downloading patches every time something's updated!

If the game even comes with a CD key. If he has an old version it may not.

Also: You ONLY need Half-Life as CS used to be a third party mod.
RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by slipstream3d on 03-07-2005 at 05:01 AM

I am completely aware that CS used to be a third party mod, I played it from Beta 1.2 (aka Beta 1.9) to Beta 7, watched as it got transitioned over to a Valve game, and played v1.0 to 1.5, and even got into the limited beta test of Steam and v1.6... I kinda lost interest at this point and have only started playing again with friends due to CS: Source, but that's besides the point. Steam of course has now been fully deployed for quite a while, hence why I'm recommending it... I wouldn't have done so during the beta test lol :S

Anyway, as far as I know, every single copy of Half Life came with a CD key, and if it didn't, I'm sure you can get one from Sierra/Vivendi/Valve/whoever is supporting the original Half Life now, otherwise you've got some hell to raise.

RE: Install counter-strike 1.6 by The_Thief on 03-07-2005 at 03:28 PM

I got half-life from a friend and just download counterstrike but I need a key to play it online.  I can play half-life 1 on my PC but not online :(