Shoutbox

Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll (/showthread.php?tid=40514)

Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by platina on 03-18-2005 at 07:14 PM

What's this Process Monitor for? My firewall is complaining about it wanting to surf the web all the time... Not spyware or trojan-like stuff, I hope.

platina

RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by user13774 on 03-18-2005 at 07:16 PM

From the Msgplus Changlog page:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.msgplus.net/changelog.php
A new DLL has been added to the software, called MsgPlusLoader.dll. This DLL is now the one that will be loaded by Windows for the global hooking operations. This modification should lower considerably the impact of Messenger Plus! on older systems as this light-weight DLL doesn't allocate more than a few bytes of memory in any situation. It may also reassure some of the people who wonder why Messenger Plus! gets loaded by Windows in several other processes (this DLL contains almost no code so there can't be any risk involved).

RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by Plik on 03-18-2005 at 07:17 PM

It is most likly monitoring the processes waiting for messenger to be loaded.
I cant see why it will be trying to access the web, my firewall (zone alarm) doesnt metion it.
What firewall are you using.

Also Messenger plus is 100% spyware and trojan free.

RE: RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by platina on 03-18-2005 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
It is most likly monitoring the processes waiting for messenger to be loaded.
I cant see why it will be trying to access the web, my firewall (zone alarm) doesnt metion it.
What firewall are you using.

Also Messenger plus is 100% spyware and trojan free.

I'm using Outpost Firewall. Actually, not the DLL-file itself tries to access the internet, but when I open i.e. InternetExplorer, or Firefox or whatever, Outpost tells me that one of its components has changed, in this case MsgPlusLoader.

Also, what is it waiting for? Which processes would Messenger (or Plus) want to load?
RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by Plik on 03-18-2005 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by platina
I'm using Outpost Firewall. Actually, not the DLL-file itself tries to access the internet, but when I open i.e. InternetExplorer, or Firefox or whatever, Outpost tells me that one of its components has changed, in this case MsgPlusLoader.

Also, what is it waiting for? Which processes would Messenger (or Plus) want to load?

It would be waiting for messenger to run. Then run messenger plus to hook it.
This way plus doesnt have to be loaded all the time, meaning there is less load on older systems.

The firewall is probally making a false alert as this can happen sometimes.
RE: RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by platina on 03-18-2005 at 07:36 PM

quote:

This way plus doesnt have to be loaded all the time, meaning there is less load on older systems.

Hmm, thanks

So I can remove the MsgPlus.exe from my startup registry (MSconfig)?
Because MsgPlusLoader.dll is taking care of getting Plus to run? Or am I wrong..

And what's the difference with RichEdHook.dll, I thought this would hook up Plus with Messenger.
RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by Plik on 03-18-2005 at 07:41 PM

quote:
quote:

Hmm, thanks

Because MsgPlusLoader.dll is taking care of getting Plus to run? Or am I wrong..

And what's the difference with RichEdHook.dll, I thought this would hook up Plus with Messenger.

Its best to leave it how it is because i dont actially know if thats what it does, its just my guess
RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by WDZ on 03-18-2005 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Because MsgPlusLoader.dll is taking care of getting Plus to run?
I don't think so, because if MsgPlus.exe doesn't run, what will get MsgPlusLoader.dll loaded? :-/
RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by platina on 03-18-2005 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Because MsgPlusLoader.dll is taking care of getting Plus to run?
I don't think so, because if MsgPlus.exe doesn't run, what will get MsgPlusLoader.dll loaded? :-/
Dunno, Rundll32.exe? Svchost?
If MsgPlus.exe still has to run, I don't get how this can lower the impact of Plus on older systems. What's the difference?
RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by CookieRevised on 03-18-2005 at 08:11 PM

MsgPlus is the main program. The only thing it does is hooking a current loaded MSN Messenger. It loads the DLL. It will not be attached itself to each one of your processes by windows. The thing that get's attached by windows is the DLL not the EXE. Because the DLL has only a few simple functions, it takes far less resources then when the EXE should have been attached. In the earlier Plus! versions, the routines inside the DLL were part of the EXE and the whole EXE got loaded each time, now only the needed routines are loaded. That's the difference...

^^ possible some small errors in the text. But for now, that's roughly what happens. Patchou is the one that can explain you in detail what happens.

RE: Process Monitor in MsgPlusLoader.dll by Patchou on 03-18-2005 at 09:25 PM

Cookie is right. Ialso want to add something: MsgPlusLoaded does NOT, under anycircumstances, connect to the internet or anythign else. Its code is extremely straightforward: when a window is created, it checks if it's a Messenger window. If it is, then it loads MsgPlusH.dll, if not, then it does nothing.

Messenger Plus! has always worked likethis, however, the window detection was previously part of MsgPlusH.dll and I thought some people may be suspicious of it (MsgPlusH.dll contains a lot of code that does a lotof stuff). By separatingthe global hook detection code from the rest, I just made sure pople withsomebasic knowledge in assembly could see that the dll does nothing in other processes.