Shoutbox

Is there an open convo-window plugin? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Is there an open convo-window plugin? (/showthread.php?tid=41233)

Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-26-2005 at 07:31 PM

Is there a plugin that when someone opens a conversation window with you, it also opens up a conversation window or some sort of notification on your computer? 

They have this feature on AMSN (open-source msn client), but I'm wondering if there is a plugin for Messenger Plus 3.5 that does this.

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by mwe99 on 03-26-2005 at 07:42 PM

Stuff Plug used to have an option for this... have a look for an older version of it :)

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Joa on 03-26-2005 at 07:47 PM

with msn 7 openconvo notification is possible just not entirely accurate (when your contacts have msn 7)

check here it might help you out:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=38...d=381122#pid381122

also here look at CookieRevised's response to openconvo notifiers:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=38...d=379129#pid379129

in both of these thread's you can find a link to a very nice openconvo notifier

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-26-2005 at 09:19 PM

According to your post in the other thread, you said it does not work with MSN 7.

"openconvo and other open conversation notifications only work with msn messengers earlier than the beta 7 one... read somewhere why.. i dont feel like making this post longer..."

So will it work?

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by J.J on 03-27-2005 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Junkguy
So will it work?

It won't be 100% accurate if you're using 7.0

See Cookie Revised reply to openConvo (notifies when a user open/close your chat window)
RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 03-27-2005 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
quote:
So will it work?

It won't be 100% accurate if you're using 7.0

See Cookie Revised reply to openConvo (notifies when a user open/close your chat window)
Note/edit:
It doesn't matter if YOU use MSN 7, or not.. it becomes inaccurate when YOUR contacts uses MSN 7... there is a difference... :D:P
RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-27-2005 at 11:49 PM

I've installed and configured OpenConvo and MSN starts up with no errors, but OpenConvo doesn't do anything (no notifications or anything).

I've entirely read through Wouter's original OpenConvo thread, and I've done the "solution" thing in one of Joa's threads. 

I think I may have messed around with Windows Messenger in the past, but I don't remember what I did. I didn't remove it though.  However, Remote Assistance works, and I understand that the Windows Messenger API is required for it to work. 

Can I assume that the Windows Messenger API is working correctly?  If so, should I try totally reinstalling MSN Messenger, Plus, and the open convo plugin?

Edit:  I've just tried uninstalling all of my plugins and only reinstalling OpenConvo.  (For the ScreenShotSender plugin, I just deleted ss.dll and freeimage.dll from the plugins folder, because I couldn't find an uninstaller... I hope that's ok :S)  When I reinstalled OpenConvo and started MSN, I got this error message:  http://img78.exs.cx/img78/6578/openconvo1fc.jpg

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by ProblemWv Authority on 03-28-2005 at 12:35 AM

Messenger Discovery Also has this feature, and quite a few other useful or entertaining features. It isn't compatible with MSN Messenger 7 yet but will be as soon as the final version comes out and will have an automatic update for this.

[Edit] I'm a bit late and off topic now but oh wel it's there if that pluggin doesn't work lol:)

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Joa on 03-28-2005 at 02:25 AM

quote:
Can I assume that the Windows Messenger API is working correctly?  If so, should I try totally reinstalling MSN Messenger, Plus, and the open convo plugin?

Edit:  I've just tried uninstalling all of my plugins and only reinstalling OpenConvo.  (For the ScreenShotSender plugin, I just deleted ss.dll and freeimage.dll from the plugins folder, because I couldn't find an uninstaller... I hope that's ok )  When I reinstalled OpenConvo and started MSN, I got this error message:  http://img78.exs.cx/img78/6578/openconvo1fc.jpg

i found a link that should fix the error here under  (under ActiveSpeed Revision #373 Update)
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/news.php
:S i installed it and nothing bad happened

it seems that this is only a 30 day trial. - so go with the libraryfiles instead.

if it doesn't help you than follow my instructions again. i guarantee that they will work if you follow them STEP BY STEP :-/
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=38...d=379129#pid379129

try uninstalling everything msn, plus, plugins.
than once again, install msn, than plus.
make sure you
install the library files from this link
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/libraryfiles.exe
and make sure to register them and than RESTART your computer.
than you may install openconvo and it should work

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-28-2005 at 03:24 AM

Thanks for all your help, ProblemWvAuthority and Joa.

Strangely, that error fixed itself when I simply restarted MSN. ^o)  But it still doesn't function correctly (no notifications).

I will try your instructions again, Joa.

By the way, can somebody let me know whether it is correct to use Remote Assistance to test whether my Windows Messenger API is intact? 

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Joa on 03-28-2005 at 03:31 AM

quote:
But it still doesn't function correctly (no notifications)
did you check all the settings and things in the configuration panel of openconvo? :sad: you probably did though.

quote:
I will try your instructions again, Joa.
ok cool :) if you have any problems or anything is not clear just post and ask :)
RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-28-2005 at 03:40 AM

One more question :)

Which file(s) should I backup before I reinstall Plus?  I don't want to lose all of my custom sounds.  Or does it automatically preserve all of my configs and custom sounds when I uninstall?

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Joa on 03-28-2005 at 03:57 AM

all your preferences should be saved if you un-check that option in uninstall :)

just make sure to check the option to uninstall at the plugins though :)

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-28-2005 at 11:35 PM

Very strange....

I uninstalled:
- ScreenShotSender, StuffPlug, and OpenConvo 
- MsgPlus 3.5 and I also deleted the entire MessengerPlus 3 folder in Program Files
- MSN Messenger 7 beta

Then, I installed the Library Files, restarted, and reinstalled MSN Messenger, MsgPlus, and OpenConvo. 

The first time I started it up, the OpenConvo initial configuration popup didnt appear.  I went into Preferences-Plugins and pressed the Configure button for OpenConvo, but nothing happened. 

So I restarted MSN, and this error appeared again http://img78.exs.cx/img78/6578/openconvo1fc.jpg  Immediately after I closed that error, it popped up with OpenConvo's "This is your first time using OpenConvo...."  Then, I could see the outlines of the Configuration window, but then it disappeared immediately, as if it failed to open.

When I restarted MSN again, there were no errors, and I could successfully access the configuration panel of OpenConvo.  However, no toasts appeared.  It still doesn't work :(

To make sure that my Windows Messenger API is working perfectly, I followed CookieRevised's instructions EXACTLY in CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messenger.

Yet, OpenConvo still does not work...  I even tried uninstalling OpenConvo and then installing StuffPlug 0.7x, and the open window notifier doesn't work for that either....

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Joa on 03-28-2005 at 11:39 PM

which version of msn 7 beta are you using?
as far as i am concerned it should work with all the beta's UP TO - 7.0.632

Edit: earlier on in the thread i posted this link: http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/news.php

the software from this link claims this:
Fixes and enhancements include fixing these errors:
Error::401 - Can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed
Error::5 - Invalid procedure call or argument

i have not been able to find any free software which could fix your problem. on the site i posted, there is a 30 day trial. :-/

hopefully somebody else has a better idea of why it does not work for you, and why you get that error message. i'm very confused, sorry i cannot help you :sad:

RE: RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-28-2005 at 11:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
which version of msn 7 beta are you using?
as far as i am concerned it should work with all the beta's UP TO - 7.0.632

I'm using version 7.0.0429... is this newer than 7.0.632?
RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Joa on 03-29-2005 at 12:00 AM

quote:
I'm using version 7.0.0429... is this newer than 7.0.632?

nope. :-/

i was secretly hoping you had the leaked 7.0.0732 version. so i could blame it on that.

Edit: maybe go about trying to fix the error problem. it seems that you have done EVERYTHING that is possible to get openconvo running. i am still searching for a way to fix that error. so far i found nothing.

if you decide to use that 30 day trial, please give feedback if it worked :-/ .. but read everything they say, because i don't want to be responsible for any damage done to your computer :|. although i assume it is safe as i installed it too. (it comes with an uninstall in any case).
RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-29-2005 at 12:58 AM

I tried the 30 day trial; it didn't fix the problem :(

Thanks for all your help.  I'll just stick with the close-convo notifier for now, until someone comes up with a fix :)

RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Joa on 03-29-2005 at 01:02 AM

quote:
I tried the 30 day trial; it didn't fix the problem

Thanks for all your help.  I'll just stick with the close-convo notifier for now, until someone comes up with a fix

:( .. too bad the trial didn't work.

in the worst case unless somebody comes up with a fix, you could reinstall your system.

.. maybe some file that the openconvo notifier needs has been deleted or corrupted :-/

eitherway, i hope somebody does find a fix ;)
RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by CookieRevised on 03-29-2005 at 01:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
i found a link that should fix the error here under  (under ActiveSpeed Revision #373 Update)

make sure you
install the library files from this link
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/libraryfiles.exe
and make sure to register them and than RESTART your computer.
than you may install openconvo and it should work
Ermm... those files don't have anything to do with OpenConvo, Messenger Plus!, MSN Messenger, etc... The fix you found is for that particular software packet found on that site, nothing more.

In fact, installing such things from other software can cause more harm then good...

;)

quote:
Can I assume that the Windows Messenger API is working correctly?
If remote assistence works, then you can be pretty sure Windows Messenger is installed properly.

Other then that, I don't know what the problem might be. And that error you're getting is also very very strange and never seen before (for the OpenConvo plugin). All I can suggest is to try and (re)install the Visual Basic Runtime files in the hope it will fix it. But I somehow doubt it though as this error rather points to some conflict between MSN Messenger and something else or something. You did install MSN Messenger properly, no? Oh, and also, try to install another version of MSN Messenger (after you've properly uninstalled this one) and see if it helps anything...
RE: Is there an open convo-window plugin? by Junkguy on 03-29-2005 at 09:15 PM

I just realized it could be my firewall/antivirus (ZoneAlarm Security Suite).  Yesterday, when I was about to turn off my computer for the night, I closed ZoneAlarm from the system tray.  I did this while MSN Messenger was still open and online. 

Immediately after I closed ZoneAlarm, the OpenConvo message popped up ("This is the first time you've used OpenConvo..."), and then the configuration panel appeared.  There were no errors.  However, there still were no toasts even after I tried restarting MSN (with ZoneAlarm closed).  I've looked at ZoneAlarm's Program Access settings, and I enabled most access permissions for OpenConvo.exe.  But it still doesn't work.  Are there any particular ports that OpenConvo needs?