Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions (/showthread.php?tid=41712)

Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by user27089 on 04-01-2005 at 01:43 PM

Messenger Plus! Optional Sponsor Agreement

This area of the site aims to help you uninstall the optional sponsor program that plus! has bundled in it, to find out more information about the optional sponsor program please click: HERE. If you would like to know how to uninstall showing you in a video click here if you have dial-up or click here if you have cable or asdl.

This section will have videos, pictures and text to help you uninstall the sponsor program quickly and easily, and how to uninstall without the sponsor program again. (click images for full size)

How to uninstall

[Image: 1.jpg]

If you have accidentally installed the optional sponsor program that is bundled in the Messenger Plus! installer, then don't use any adware/spyware removal programs, as this will corrupt the files, therefore making uninstallation of the file near impossible to uninstall. If you have used Adware/spyware removal software, then you will have to uninstall, then reinstall messenger plus, with the sponsor program again to get all of the files for the sponsor program back.

To uninstall sponsor software, close down internet explorer (in the system tray also), go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, now scroll down the list until you find 'Messenger Plus! 3 click 'Change/Remove''.

[Image: 2.jpg]

In here, a pop-up will appear, on this, it will say "Would you like to uninstall, The Sponsor Program or Messenger Plus! with the sponsor program"... Select "uninstall the sponsor program" and only the sponsor program will be uninstalled...

[Image: 3.JPG]

follow uninstallation instructions, filling in the security box with the numbers aswell. This is just a safety procedure in case something tries to uninstall it without you knowing..

[Image: 4.jpg]

If you wait for about 2 minutes, you will notice that all of the icons on the desktop are gone, and there is no bar in Internet Explorer any more.

[Image: 5.jpg]

You can now reinstall Messenger Plus! without the sponsor program, and you will not have any more hassle whatsoever.

[Image: 6.jpg]

This tutorial was provided by Messenger Plus! Support

Is it out of order for me to ask for this thread to be made sticky

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Stigmata on 04-03-2005 at 12:49 PM

thank you, this is very helpful

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Dempsey on 04-03-2005 at 12:55 PM

btw - you link to http://www.msgplus.net/getthefacts.php but Patchou removed that page a while ago

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Stigmata on 04-03-2005 at 12:57 PM

http://www.msgplus.net/help_faq.php?expand=2#safe

^ that page also links to the get the facts page..

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by ProblemWv Authority on 04-03-2005 at 12:57 PM

Nice tutorial. Symple, clear and well illustrated. I think this deserves to be Stickied.(Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Stigmata on 04-03-2005 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
Nice tutorial. Symple, clear and well illustrated. I think this deserves to be Stickied.(Y)

its sticked on mess.be and on messengermad :D

and not on here :D lol
RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Hank on 04-03-2005 at 01:02 PM

good tutorial dude

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by user27089 on 04-03-2005 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority

its sticked on mess.be and on messengermad :D

and not on here :D lol

I stuck it on Messenger Mad (a)... How modest am i!!!...

I've spoke to Fraisie about it being stuck...

quote:
Originally posted by conversation

[22:29:32] Luke - "Get : this may sound a bit... dodgy but...
[22:29:42] Luke - "Get : can I ask you to sticky the sponsor removal
           thread :S
[22:30:03] Fraisie: honestly i dont know, i cant really take this kind
           of decision
[22:30:12] Luke - "Get : i mean
[22:30:15] Luke - "Get : i don't see why you couldn't :s
[22:30:22] Luke - "Get : its informative and things...
[22:30:41] Luke - "Get :
           http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=41712
[22:31:22] Fraisie: since we already have a remove adware help topic,
           i dont know :/ i know it is quite informative with the
           screenshots, but i dont know :/
[22:31:38] Luke - "Get : okay :)
[22:31:54] Fraisie: im sorry :/
[22:32:08] Luke - "Get : thats fine :) I mean, I completely understand
           your decisions whatever ;)

Thanks for your positive remarks, I just want to help ;).
RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Hank on 04-03-2005 at 02:01 PM

an ur a good helper at that to trax :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Menthix on 04-03-2005 at 05:56 PM

http://www.msgplus.net/help_tutorials.php?tut=ins...install#inu-remove

:banana: :P

You movie is outdated, it's not showing a option to un-install sponsor only.

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by John Anderton on 04-03-2005 at 06:02 PM

Nice clean easy tut .... deserves to be a sticky :banana:

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by user27089 on 04-05-2005 at 04:01 PM

I'll re-do the movie sometime, unless somebody else is willing to do it for me (a)...

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by .Roy on 04-05-2005 at 04:27 PM

what program did u use to record ur screen movement

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Anubis on 04-05-2005 at 04:27 PM

Traxor, there is a problem with your guide...You do not mention the fact that when you try to uninstall Plus this is displayed

[Image: attachment.php?pid=430170]
And you go on to say you can reinstall Plus without the sponsor when there is no need because it is already installed.

I have noticed this fault with all of your guides...you need to update them since they are now outdated

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by user27089 on 04-05-2005 at 05:03 PM

I've updated the guides accordingly, including this one, the one on my website, and on messenger mad, I can't do it on mess.be but have requested they edit it, but apparently, it has 1 too many images... screw them :p...

Now, I'm about to re-do the movies... just need to watch the older ones several times over. to see how I did them back then... maybe improve etc...

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by davemktm on 08-14-2005 at 09:47 AM

yep, followed to the letter, all gone. Then 'O' no sponsor program re installed itself on second startup, HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by John Anderton on 08-14-2005 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davemktm
yep, followed to the letter, all gone. Then 'O' no sponsor program re installed itself on second startup, HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!
reinstalled itself O.o ... that shouldnt happen :S
RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by davemktm on 08-14-2005 at 10:31 AM

I've wasted hours of my life trying to get rid of this 'lop sponsor', tried all these solutions over and over to the letter but to no avail, I have run 'ad-aware' though and this may have corrupt something, anyone got any other idea's before the whole computer goes in the bin?

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by absorbation on 08-14-2005 at 10:35 AM

quote:
I've wasted hours of my life trying to get rid of this 'lop sponsor', tried all these solutions over and over to the letter but to no avail, I have run 'ad-aware' though and this may have corrupt something, anyone got any other idea's before the whole computer goes in the bin?

you must close internet expoler and all programs using it e.g msn messenger and make sure you did not use scanners ;)

this video guide will then help :)

http://www.msgstuff.com/help/Sponser%20Removal.wmv
RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by davemktm on 08-14-2005 at 04:56 PM

yes closed explorer, yes followed video and various other suggestions, still no joy. scanners have been used but not recently.

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by absorbation on 08-14-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
yes closed explorer, yes followed video and various other suggestions, still no joy. scanners have been used but not recently.

if you used a scanner then you must reinsatll with the sponsor. that may sound odd but it gives a fresh start and you just need to follow what the video says ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by Patchou on 08-14-2005 at 05:58 PM

Did you try reinstalling Messenger Plus! with the sponsor? if anything was damaged by a third party, this should fix it. After installation is complete, wait a couple of seconds to let the sponsor install properly and then uninstall again.

RE: Messenger Plus! Sponsor Removal Instructions by CookieRevised on 08-15-2005 at 04:03 AM

First follow the official instructions (incl. reinstalling Plus! WITH the sponsor etc, as Patchou said),

1) Turn off every possible virusscanner, adware scanner or any other scanner you might have.
2) Install Plus! WITH the sponsor
3) Wait a couple of secs...
4) Reboot PC
5) Close every possible MSIE browser window you might have open
6*) Start the Uninstaller of Plus! by going to add/remove programs and select to uninstall the sponsor
7) Follow the on-screen instructions to the letter (this includes typing the validation number check of the sponsor)
8) Let the uninstaller finish and wait a couple of secs...
9) Reboot PC

* If all the above steps didn't work then first delete the following file(s) from your HDD when performing step 6: C:\Windows\Prefetch\IEXPLORE*.*