Shoutbox

Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox (/showthread.php?tid=43261)

Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by jligon on 04-20-2005 at 07:14 AM

I've been trying to get MSN Messenger to open my hotmail through Firefox for a few months now. Actually I gave up a couple of months ago and thought I'd re-try it now that MSNM 7 is out. Anyway, after searching this site I've seen a number of people say:

MS messenger will open IE no matter what you do. It's hard-coded to open IE and only IE.

And others say get Messenger Plus and StuffPlug and it will work. After numerous tries and hours of searching here, the Plus forum and the StuffPlug forum I can still only get Messenger to do two things: either open in IE or, if I check the box to open in my default browser (which is, obviously Firefox) it does nothing.

Any clues as to what I could try next?

Thanks if you have any ideas!

Jon

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by user27089 on 04-20-2005 at 07:16 AM

Have you downloaded the latest messenger plus! and stuffplug, as it seems to be working fine from where I am... :s...

I can't see the problem, try reinstalling stuffplug...

The only problem I get is trying to open MySpace, it just opens in firefox and goes to my .net passport menu.

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by jligon on 04-20-2005 at 07:26 AM

Yes, I've downloaded MSN 7 and Messenger Plus last night and the latest Stuffplug tonight...after they failed to work correctly, I uninstalled all three and reinstalled but still nothing. When I click to open my email, the hard drive flashes for a second like it's about to open but then nothing happens.
I wonder if there is a Firefox setting that might be stopping it? I recently updated it to the most recent version and haven't made any changes to it since then.

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by Chestah on 04-20-2005 at 07:36 AM

Have you made sure Firefox is set to the default browser?

Start Menu --> Set Program Access and Defaults --> Custom --> "Choose a custom web browser" --> firefox?

(thats for windows Xp :) )

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by jligon on 04-20-2005 at 07:45 AM

I forgot to mention...I'm a Windows 98 user :$

I saw that mentioned about XP and I assume there is no such setting for 98. Firefox is set as my default browser in Firefox and IE is unchecked as the default. I also checked file types under folder options and URL:Mailto protocol is Thunderbird (which I use only for my pop 3 email accounts). I don't get my hotmail through Thunderbird.

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by Chestah on 04-20-2005 at 07:47 AM

Checking the file associations (file types) are webpages set to open in firefox? hehe its been so long since windows 98 i can't remember if it has a "default program access" window :P

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by .Roy on 04-20-2005 at 07:51 AM

This is just a guess and is worth a try.

First can you go to http://hotmail.com using FireFox.
Tick on Sign me in automatically
Can you login succesfully?

If so then try clicking the button for hotmail from Msn Messenger and see if it works now.

It might work because Firefox has stored in its cookies ur .net passport.

But seeing as I dont use Hotmail then its worth a try ;).

-Nova

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by Chestah on 04-20-2005 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nova

If so then try clicking the button for hotmail from Msn Messenger and see if it works now.

-Nova

Nice idea ;), but it won't work because its windows/MSN Messenger that causes it to always go into internet explorer. Its a bit before cookies etc.

MSN Messenger itself always goes into IE, it doesn't matter if you have firefox set as the default. However SPNG allows this to work.

Also make sure you have the option turned on in SPNG (/xspoptions). :)

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by jligon on 04-20-2005 at 07:58 AM

There were a few that were set to open in IE and the rest were Firefox and Thunderbird. The files listed to open in IE were Internet Shortcut, URL:File Protocol, URL:RLogin Protocol, URL:Telnet Protocol and URL:TN3270 Protocol.

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by Chestah on 04-20-2005 at 08:01 AM

Well firstly as i said above, check to make sure that SPNG is configured properly - make sure you have the "open links in your default browser" enabled. Do this by going into

Plus! --> preferences --> Plugins --> Stuffplug --> and enabling the option if its not already enabled. (another way to do this is type in /xspoptions in a conversation window).

If it is already enabled then write down the file associations IE has and the settings with them as a precaution (its always good to do this just incase :) ). Then change the associations with IE over to firefox!

RE: RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by jligon on 04-20-2005 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nova

-Nova

That's funny...I tried that about an hour ago with no luck. :)
RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by .Roy on 04-20-2005 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jligon
That's funny...I tried that about an hour ago with no luck. :)

meaning that you could have logged in using http://hotmail.com but still it wouldnt work through Msn Messenger?

Or both didnt work?
-Nova

edit: In FireFox go to Tools> Options > Privacy > Cookies
Check this: Allow sites to set  cookies
And put: Until it expires
RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by Chestah on 04-20-2005 at 08:07 AM

Nova that method isn't going to work ;):P because its to do with the file associations or how SPNG is configured. Just follow my instructions in my previous post and hopefully it should work :)

RE: Can't get Messenger Plus & StuffPlug to open Firefox by jligon on 04-20-2005 at 08:18 AM

Well, I unchecked open in default browser and after re-starting, it opened in IE. So I put the checkmark back to open in default and restarted...and again nothing happened. So the StuffPlug is working to the extent that when default is checked, IE is NOT opening...but I just can't get Firefox to open. Should I try changing the associations we talked about?

I basically made no changes to MSN, Messenger Plus or Stuffplug after installing them. Other than making sure that Plugins are allowed and making sure the default StuffPlug setting are there, are there any changes that need to be made to make it work?
I've tried changing all of the associations that have been suggested and still no luck. Am I safe in assuming MSN Messenger checks my hotmail automatically and that I don't have to enter anything under the email section of Messenger Plus?
By the way...links that are sent to me through MSN Messenger open up in Firefox. Just the mail doesn't.