Shoutbox

This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe (/showthread.php?tid=43772)

This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by allan49 on 04-28-2005 at 03:24 AM

This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe

This keeps coming up when anyone tries to send me a file ive looked through everything i can see but nothing works any ideas or help on why?

RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by Grue on 04-28-2005 at 03:28 AM

Msn Messneger now does not allow some file types to be sent over msn messenger, these include:

ade .adp .app .asp .bas .bat .cer .chm .cmd .com .cpl
.crt .csh .exe .fxp .hlp .hta .inf .ins .isp .its .js .jse .ksh .lnk
.mad .maf .mag .mam .maq .mar .mas .mat .mau .mav
.maw .mda .mdb .mde .mdt .mdw .mdz .msc .msi .msp .mst
.ops .pcd .pif .prf .prg .pst .reg .scf .scr .sct .shb .shs .tmp
.url .vb .vbe .vbs .vsd .vsmacros .vss .vst .vsw .ws .wsc .wsf .wsh

They are blocking these files in order to try and stop the spread of viruses via msn messenger.  Tell your contact to zip the file and then send it to you and it should work.

RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by philippecr on 04-28-2005 at 03:58 AM

em... dunno izzit i'm the only one who hav tis problem... mp3 and video files like wmv also blocked......

RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by Hank on 04-28-2005 at 04:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by philippecr
mp3 and video files like wmv also blocked

mp3's rnt blocked ,  im unsure bout the other,
RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by Pyroteq on 04-28-2005 at 05:10 AM

I had to send an EXE to someone, my way around this apart from zipping (Simplest way)
Is to turn file extensions on (Start>Control Panel>Folder Options> Uncheck Hide extensions for known filetypes)
That just allows you to chage the filetype to say... a jpg and then the other person can change it back to an exe.

Note: This can get annoying when your renaming files etc and i dont reccomend using that method unless you cant for some reason zip the file.

RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by Underlord on 04-28-2005 at 05:13 AM

Use File Extension Unblocker?
http://mess.be/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=620

Note: This is not a patch for MSN Messenger and is not illegal.

RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by Goshi on 04-28-2005 at 11:11 AM

Or this one if you have xp sp2. With it you only can accept what you want (exe, mp3, wav, images.....) and not viruses.
Patch

RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by Sunshine on 04-28-2005 at 11:39 AM

To find out about how/why of blocked extensions read this post ;)

Possibilities to unblock are:
File Extension Unblocker
A-Patch 
Mess Patch 7.0.0777
SPNG (Msg Plus! required)

Please note that these filetypes were blocked in order to counter the propagation of viruses over the .NET Messenger network. Always be wary of any file you receive!

Advice: Scan the files you receive with a good AV program (also make sure the virusdefinitions are up to date) after receiving first. You can set MSNM to do that: tools > options > file transfer

Note to helpers: Please post full info, no direct downloadlinks. There may be some things the person needing help might want/need to read first.

RE: This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe by RedFox314 on 09-06-2005 at 01:50 PM

Microsoft should finally find out that some people DO know what they are doing, damned nosey parkers, it is a setting so you want to be able to switch it on or off (maybe not in the interface but then in the registry)

woops rather old thread