Shoutbox

Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. (/showthread.php?tid=44115)

Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by .Roy on 05-04-2005 at 12:56 PM

Well its basically a program that lets you download files at a much faster speed :). It connects more then once I think and it downloads seperate parts of the file. At the end they connect eachother and you have one file :).

It really works but the only bad part is that its a Trial version :'(.

Its called IDM Internet Download Manager.

You can get it at http://download.com

(also means it doesnt have any adware/spyware)

Also they have gotten many good reviews :P I really recommend this :D

http://www.download.com/Internet-Download-Manager...6.html?tag=lst-0-1

Get it here :D

edit : Downloaded Adobe Photoshop 160 mb in 10 minutes :) Something like that :P.

It lets you download at 290 kb/s And it doesnt change.

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by -dt- on 05-04-2005 at 01:40 PM

err this dosnt increase your line speed people

what this does is let you get faster speeds off servers which limit
their outgoing bandwidth by connecting to the download source more than
once.

so hobbes the speed you achive is relitive to your line speed

but i recomend GETRIGHT for this but you do have to pay for it

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Mike on 05-04-2005 at 01:42 PM

FlashGet does the same too :P

I use it :)

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Shezi on 05-04-2005 at 01:42 PM

does it faster than DAP ( download accelerator plus)... 300% more faster then usual..??

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by thc2010 on 05-04-2005 at 01:44 PM

DAP does more, but i dont use anyof those since the all suck, its better to tweek your speed on ur own without some utility to do it for you since most tools outthere does the oposite

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Sunshine on 05-04-2005 at 01:46 PM

LeechGet is another good one. And this one is free :chrongue:

Little warning though: using a downloadmanager sometimes cripples the file you download (esp. exe files). So i don't recommend it to download programfiles, unless it's to get around IE securitysettings (certain files you can't download just like that anymore..LeechGet gets around that). Another plus of LeechGet is that you don't have to use it to download. It will popup when you download something but closing it takes you to the regular way of downloading.

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Concord Dawn on 05-04-2005 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine

I recommend that as well. At my school I can average about 300 kbps, while most other people get around 30 - 50. At home it goes about 1.5 mbps, but I also have a really fast line (8 mbps down). I really like LeechGet in that it allows you to tweak the options just right, like how many times to split the download, speed limit, etc.

quote:

Little warning though: using a downloadmanager sometimes cripples the file you download (esp. exe files). So i don't recommend it to download programfiles, unless it's to get around IE securitysettings (certain files you can't download just like that anymore..LeechGet gets around that). Another plus of LeechGet is that you don't have to use it to download. It will popup when you download something but closing it takes you to the regular way of downloading.

Never had that happen :|
RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by MasterAssassin on 05-05-2005 at 12:25 AM

i use freshdownload from freshdevices.com it's free and fast with no adware/spyware.

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Caboose on 05-05-2005 at 03:36 AM

*cough*FREE DOWNLOAD MANAGER*end cough* :)

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 03:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
i dont use any of those since the all suck, its better to tweek your speed on ur own without some utility to do it for you since most tools out there does the oposite
As -dt- pointed out in the first reply to this thread, download accelerators do NOT change your speed, but connect to the download source multiple times and thus download the source faster... Such tools DO work perfectly (as long as the server allows multiple connections from the same IP).

(note and important difference where many people make an error: downloading faster does not mean increase download speed, but means decrease needed time to download!)

You can NOT change your maximum download speed anyways, because it is a fixed valued determined by your ISP...

However, you can tweak some values used for downloading from the net, but these things requires extremely good knowledge of how downloading works and is very depended from system to system. It is not recommended to change these manually. Again, in this case, tweaking tools are the proper way of altering these fields (but like said, this is not what the subject of this thread is about).

quote:

all this goes exactly the same for DAP...
RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Purity on 05-05-2005 at 04:19 AM

With DAP the downloads never showed up for rapid share so I stopped using it, but it was great.

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by .Roy on 05-05-2005 at 04:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

(note and important difference where many people make an error: downloading faster does not mean increase download speed, but means decrease needed time to download!)

Well the total download speed is what im talking about. Not for a single file. Yes it decreases time for a download but wont that mean its going faster?
RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 04:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
quote:
Well the total download speed is what im talking about.
No you can not increase the total "download speed". This is a fixed value and depends on the type of connection and ISP (and/or the amount of download speed you're already using for other stuff of course).

quote:
Yes it decreases time for a download but wont that mean its going faster?
yes, and that's just what I said:
quote:
when talking about download accelarators:
"downloading faster" does not mean "increase download speed"
"downloading faster" means "decrease needed time to download"

When talking about such things, do not confuse "download speed" with "the time to download".

When using download accelerators, your download speed will still be the same!!!! But because download accelerators download multiple parts of the same file at once, the total time needed for downloading the entire file is shorter:

a file of 1 megabyte (10248576 bytes) will take at 200kbps:
* normally: 10248576 / (200*1024/8) = 40.96 seconds
* with an accelarator which splits the file in 10 chuncks which simaltaniously download: 10248576 / (200*1024/8) / 10 = 4.096 seconds

Note that the download speed, in both cases, is 200kbps, this will not change at all!! The error comes from people confusing "speed" with "time". Speed is a quantity, measured in kbps; time in seconds, not vice versa. And/or the confussion between "download speed" and "download stream" (both measured in kbps)

So, another smaller mistake, but with big consequences, is to say that the download speed in the second case is 10 times 200 kbps, thus 2000 kbps. In a sense this is correct, but not if you're talking about download accelerators, as this is very confussing and even wrong as the download speed never changed. It is the download stream that increases to 2000 kbps.

Another note to the story is that some servers have a cap on the total amount of download stream allowed for one particular IP. If the server only allows a total download stream of 200kbps, then no matter how many connections you have to the source file, the total download stream will always be 200kbps (and thus the download time will not be decreased). This is the reason why some people say download accelerators do not work.

The same goes for your own ISP connection speed/stream. You can't download faster then your ISP allows you to, no matter how many download accelerators you use...
RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by John Anderton on 05-05-2005 at 04:45 AM

I used to use dap but when i installed ff (firefox) then it sotpped comming up cause then ff used its own downloader. The prob with that is that ff's downloader is a bit slower in my experience wrt dap.
So i unisntalled it ... i was wondering if i install it now and make it the default downloader then will this happen ??
Also ff's downloader doenst resume for me :dodgy:
So i wanted to use dap so i was just wondering :D

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 04:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I used to use dap but when i installed ff (firefox) then it sotpped comming up cause then ff used its own downloader. The prob with that is that ff's downloader is a bit slower in my experience wrt dap.
So i unisntalled it ... i was wondering if i install it now and make it the default downloader then will this happen ??
Also ff's downloader doenst resume for me :dodgy:
So i wanted to use dap so i was just wondering :D
As with all programs which do the same: the one installed last will take over unless you (re-)configure the previous one...

Thus, simply set DAP as your default downloader and/or reconfigure it...

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by John Anderton on 05-05-2005 at 04:57 AM

quote:
As with all programs which do the same: the one installed last will take over unless you (re-)configure the previous one...
That one i knew ... i meant is dap compatible with ff ??
I need brower integration cause i dont start dap with my system (i cant load everything now can i :P Only the bare necessities like av and firewall and ... 8-) Whatpulse :P)
So i needed to know if i click on the link then will it open dap then download ??
RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 05:03 AM

Yes, integrates with MSIE, Opera, Netscape/Mozilla based (all individual selectable)

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by .Roy on 05-05-2005 at 06:12 AM

Is there a way to configure the FireFox downloader to connect to a server more then once?

Basically can you make the firefox downloader simaller to a download accelerator.

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Is there a way to configure the FireFox downloader to connect to a server more then once?

Basically can you make the firefox downloader simaller to a download accelerator.
IIRC it already does that. The method of connecting more then once to a server to download stuff is called "piping", if I'm not mistaken. And this is already supported by FF and other mozilla based browsers...

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Purity on 05-05-2005 at 02:04 PM

I found out why I couldn't use DAP with rapid share! Blah, it says on the main page that download accelerators are only for Premium-Members.

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 02:13 PM

DAP can be used also for free. You don't need to be a paying premium paying member. Although when you do register it, it will boost up even more.

If you weren't talking about DAP itself, but about some server which doesn't allow download accelerators (unless you become a "premium" member to that server), then yes, some servers do that; they dissallow multiple connections from one IP ;)

RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program. by Purity on 05-05-2005 at 02:30 PM

Yes, I'm talking about a premium account on rapid share.