Shoutbox

Clickable text links? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Clickable text links? (/showthread.php?tid=45065)

Clickable text links? by Mike on 05-21-2005 at 12:33 PM

Hello.

Seeing that Messenger Plus! can now make text-links with the custom sounds feature, how about having real links?

I think that you should set a link like this:

Ctrl + L + http://shoutbox.menthix.net + Ctrl + L + Messenger Plus! forums + Ctrl + L

Ctrl + L = A special character to let Plus! know that the following text after that special character is a link.

The first Ctrl + L would be to let Plus! know that the following text would be a link.

The second Ctrl + L would be to let Plus! know that the following text is not a link and it is the text the user wants the contact who is speaking to to click it.

The third Ctrl + L would be to let Plus! know that the following text has nothing to do with a link.

I have attached an example...

What do you think? :)

RE: Clickable text links? by Mnjul on 05-21-2005 at 12:56 PM

This idea may be useful, but at the same time dangerous...a malicious can lure its prey to click a seemingly-OK link which actually directs to a virus/trojan downoad... for example,

Ctrl+L http://someplace/somecraftedvirus.pif Ctrl+L Have you checked out the new Google homepage? + Ctrl+L

RE: Clickable text links? by mwe99 on 05-21-2005 at 01:03 PM

yeah its kinda dangerous, plus plus! already has some shortcuts and Ctrl + L is my lock so it might start messing up.

With all the viruses going round at the mo i wouldn't click on any link.

RE: Clickable text links? by CookieRevised on 05-21-2005 at 01:04 PM

Idea is good...

But implementation isn't because it will break the normal msn messenger link detection; there should be at least one space before and after the URL.

----

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
This idea may be useful, but at the same time dangerous...
aye, so I doubt this will be implemented (unless there is a means to see the link before you click it (tooltip?); but even then it stays very dangerous to implement something like this)

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Ctrl + L is my lock so it might start messing up.
your custom shortcut wouldn't be valid anymore then, just as CTRL+B, etc wouldn't be valid shortcuts because they are used by Plus! itself (which takes priority of course)...

RE: Clickable text links? by Mike on 05-21-2005 at 01:07 PM

How about the following message poping up like mIRC does...?

quote:
Originally posted by Message

You are about to visit the following link:

<link>

That link might be unsafe.
Messenger Plus! takes no responsibility with what might happpen with your computer if you visit the link.

Do you want to vist that link?

[  ] Do not show this message again.

[ Yes ] [ No ]

The [  ] would be a checkbox...

Also, how about a tooltip of the link when you leave your mouse on the link for a few seconds?
Or maybe where it says "Last message received on xx/xx/xx" or "User is typing a message" being replaced with the link when you put your mouse on the link?

RE: RE: Clickable text links? by CookieRevised on 05-21-2005 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
How about the following message poping up like mIRC does...?
quote:
Originally posted by Message

You are about to visit the following link:
<link>

That link might be unsafe.
Messenger Plus! takes no responsibility with what might happen with your computer if you visit the link.

Do you want to vist that link?

[  ] Do not show this message again.

[ Yes ] [ No ]

I could live with that I think...

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Or maybe where it says "Last message received on xx/xx/xx" or "User is typing a message" being replaced with the link when you put your mouse on the link?
No, links can be much longer then the available space.
RE: Clickable text links? by RaceProUK on 05-21-2005 at 01:52 PM

MessageBox idea: (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)
Although maybe you won't want to put the 'Don't show this again': dunno, open for debate.

Of course, there'll still be n00bs that say 'Yes' anyway, then come on here moaning that they got this virus from <bullsh*t>Plus's hidden Trojan downloader</bullsh*t>.

Some people never learn.

Just thought, n00bs won't think that.

RE: Clickable text links? by Purity on 05-21-2005 at 05:21 PM

Tiz a good idea, but like other people say, it could be easily exploited...

RE: Clickable text links? by Veggie on 05-21-2005 at 05:58 PM

how about the full link also apears in a tooltip on mouseover?

RE: Clickable text links? by CookieRevised on 05-21-2005 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
how about the full link also apears in a tooltip on mouseover?

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised (4th reply to this thread)
aye, so I doubt this will be implemented (unless there is a means to see the link before you click it (tooltip?)
quote:
Originally posted by Mike2 (5th reply in this thread, thus already a repeat)
Also, how about a tooltip of the link when you leave your mouse on the link for a few seconds?

RE: Clickable text links? by King For A Day on 05-21-2005 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
yeah its kinda dangerous, plus plus! already has some shortcuts and Ctrl + L is my lock so it might start messing up.

With all the viruses going round at the mo i wouldn't click on any link.

he said L would represent the key button it did mean thats the actual one that would be used.

i usually check a link in the bottom corner just to see where it leads, not sure why i do it but i just do. why not have it show above or something as where it goes. and im sure it could black anything saying pif
RE: Clickable text links? by Mike on 06-08-2005 at 06:14 PM

Sorry for bumping this old thread...

But Patchou didn't say anything about this idea...

Patchou what do you think? :)

RE: Clickable text links? by Mike on 09-22-2005 at 07:05 PM

Sorry for the double post again, but Messenger Plus! 3.60 is soon gonna
be released and I was wondering if Patchou will support this idea... :)

RE: Clickable text links? by user27089 on 09-22-2005 at 07:18 PM

Personally, I really like the idea, but also agree that it would be dangerous...

(y) Tooltips, definitely, as said before...

Some people wouldn't check the tooltips though, that is the problem... Patchou would have to change the EULA if he put in this feature...

Messenger Plus! and/or Patchou will not accept responsibility for any malicious items downloaded when using the URL Mask feature...

btw, url mask feature, is what I would call it :p.

RE: Clickable text links? by L. Coyote on 09-22-2005 at 07:27 PM

It's a good idea! I didn't see this before... :o

I agree with the mIRC-like pop-up thing to prevent n00bish Trojan downloads... And a browser-like tooltip on the link with the address... (Y)

And, maybe, with the newer anti-PIF thing from MSN Messenger the possibility of getting a masked PIF is null. (Y)

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
but Messenger Plus! 3.60 is soon gonna be released
You think 3-4 days is enough for Patchou to code it and for people to test this? :P

Maybe for a 3.61... :D
RE: Clickable text links? by Patchou on 09-22-2005 at 09:07 PM

That would be a good idea yes, however, this is a no-can-do because of associated security concerns. Sorry :p

RE: Clickable text links? by riahc4 on 09-23-2005 at 01:43 AM

Try the plugins section. They may do it....

Offtopic my PC is starting to make weird noises (hard drive related it seems).....Oh boy

RE: Clickable text links? by RebelSean on 09-23-2005 at 02:21 AM

I like this idea, and for those of you who are worried about exploitation, or abuse of this, I've thought of some precautions:

• When the link is clicked, a warning message pops up in the conversation saying something like "YOU HAVE CLICKED A LINK THAT IS DIRECTED TO <INSERT LINK HERE>. MESSENGER PLUS! IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR COMPUTER WHILE CLICKING THIS LINK".
  • Like mentioned, a tool tip would be nice.
  • I'm assuming only users with Msgplus! would be able to use/see the links? So then, there are still A LOT of people who dont use Msgplus! so that would be another plus. Sorta member-only :p.

RE: Clickable text links? by Mike on 09-23-2005 at 12:43 PM

Well ... how about enabling it as a feature in the options? *-)
And make it able to disable the MsgBox only with a registry tweak?
[Image: xso_undecided.gif]

RE: Clickable text links? by riahc4 on 09-23-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Well ... how about enabling it as a feature in the options? *-)
And make it able to disable the MsgBox only with a registry tweak?
[Image: xso_undecided.gif]
When Patchou says no its pretty much no :P

Like I said youll problably have better luck in the plugins section.
RE: Clickable text links? by LittleK on 09-25-2005 at 05:42 PM

I dont think its a good idea at all. For one, whats the point? It doesnt save any time with all the ctrl + L stuff, Just type out the link lol least people know where theyre going.

Second of all, i wouldnt click a link which said "hey, the msgplus site can be found here " for the reason most people have said, viruses (and we all know eventually some ones going to exploit it wether you put a "warning" on or not.)

More problems from newbs saying they have a virus and its Plus!' fault, which will get back to people and they wont download this wonderful program :D

And didnt patchou say a few weeks back he didnt want to add more stuff which wasnt really nessacery? :P

RE: Clickable text links? by Millenium_edition on 09-25-2005 at 05:49 PM

as riahc4 said, "if patchou says no it probably is no"...

so let it be... or ask a very skilled plugin coder. hint: you won't find one who will take time for such a small feature...