Shoutbox

[UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) (/showthread.php?tid=45115)

[UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-22-2005 at 01:45 PM

Good news!
This weekend I 'revived' one of my projects: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=40728&page=1
Note that it's (CyBeRDuDe)'s idea.

What does it do?
It takes control of the large advertisement located at the bottom of the main MSN Messenger window:
[Image: screen1.JPG]

Various pages can be loaded into that window:
Winamp Controller:
[Image: screen2.JPG]
Windows Media Player controller:
[Image: screen3.JPG]
Note taker (lets you view, add, edit, and delete little notes):
[Image: screen4.JPG]

I attached a beta version of the project, it's entirely coded in c++, and doesn't use any SetParent stuff :) Also it doesn't patch anything, so I suppose it's completely legal.

Note that the attached version isn't a plugin, but standalone. I will convert it to a plugin as soon as possible. (So please don't move this thread to another forum).

Just extract the files into a new folder, run 'adcontrol.exe', and when everything went alright your adspace should look like the first screen above. Then right click to select a 'page'.

Known bugs:

• The rightclick menu doesn't dissapear when you don't select an item, this can be annoying and I'll look for a solution.
  • Only the Winamp controller, WMP controller, and notetaker are working. When you choose any of the other options Messenger will probably 'shutdown the ad'.
  • There might be a security flaw, other people on the network/internet might be able to change your song, and take notes, etc. Got to build in an ip filter.
  • When you enable the program at first it might not always show the 'startup screen' in the ad. But you can still right click the msn ad to change it.

Keep me updated with your findings.
Also, let me now what different kind of pages you'd like to see in the controller (not only media controllers for different media players -I'll probably do that anyway-, but also think of more unique ideas, like a shoutbox etc.).

UPDATE 6/6
Today I released a new test version, with the following new features:
  • Controller in conversation window
  • iTunes Controller
  • Plugin version
[Image: attachment.php?pid=469941]
The new version requires patching of the main file. It should easily patch files which have already been patched by A-Patch, Ghost, or Messpatch. it will even bring back the control-spaces if you chose to remove them. However, it does NOT support skins like Wave11/NeoWin yet (sorry guys, probably later).

Anyway, just read the instructions.txt file :)

Also you do not need to comment the skins yet. This release is just to test whether it works for most users. I know the winamp buttons in the conv window are terribly small, this will all be improved.

ow, I made it .rar because .zip was over 1mb, which is not allowed here.

Enjoy!
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by albert on 05-22-2005 at 02:14 PM

hey man, first of all, nice job, good to see you got this project up and running :)

but here are a few suggestions :

1- Where's the Itunes controller :| ?
2- What about making the jukebox controller appear in the windows conversations as said before? :)
3- When the plugin is running.. we should have something on msn appear.. like maybe another clickable text like the Plus! one or anything.. so we know it's running..

Now about the bugs.. I told you some on msn..  but here are the main ones :

-AdControl doesnt work if its running more than once at the same time ( thats why we would need suggestion #3.. )
-It freezes out the whole msn messenger if you right clicked but didnt choose anything..
-When clicking on "About", you have to click twice for the "credits" to appear.. twice..! loll ( maybe these aint credits.. just assuming they are due to "Created By..."
-Wmp Controller, Winamp Controller, Note Taker work.. the others, not rlly..
-When you click on an option that doesnt work.. your msn ads come back, ad you have no other otpions to get your AdControl running, except for ctrl+alt+del, closing AdControl, and resignin into msn messenger, then re running AdControl..

that's about it.. Ill update the post if I find something else..

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-22-2005 at 02:26 PM

Hey, thanks for testing!

1) Coming up soon!
2) I'll look for that later, takes a whole new approach, but I'll probably implement it.
3) Don't know exactly what you mean, but when I made the plugin version, it'll be running all the time, so I don't think it's a real problem :)

Freezing thing, + the fact that you shouldn't click certain options were already listed @ the known bugs.
When you click for example: shoutbox, it tries to access a page on my server that doesn't exist yet. MSN then 'closes the ad', by showing its logo. I'm currently having problems with my server, so I can't upload the correct pages yet.

I don't have any trouble with double clicking or something, and I know the about+credits thing is a bit stupid (double), but the credits page is just the 'home page'.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 05-22-2005 at 02:37 PM

This might not be possible, but i spose its worth asking.

I'm using the Wave 11 skin which can be downloaded from here http://www.afizicalpresence.com

This skin comes with its own ad bar which advertises free smilies. Your adcontrol doesn't take control of this ad probably because it is made in a different way.

Would it be possible to take over this ad? Thanks in advance.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by absorbation on 05-22-2005 at 02:45 PM

Great plugin but i've patched my msn and don't have the backup :( so i can't be bovered to reinstall msn :(

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 05-22-2005 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
Great plugin but i've patched my msn and don't have the backup :( so i can't be bovered to reinstall msn :(

A lot of people have their msn patched and have removed their banner. I think a good idea, if it were possible, would be to have an option in Adcontrol to put the ad banner back in if it has been removed by a patch.
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by absorbation on 05-22-2005 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
A lot of people have their msn patched and have removed their banner. I think a good idea, if it were possible, would be to have an option in Adcontrol to put the ad banner back in if it has been removed by a patch.

A great idea and it can be done quick and easy :P
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by RaceProUK on 05-22-2005 at 03:24 PM

Or if it can somehow 'inject' itself into the space the ad usually goes in, so even on patched MSNs, it displays in the corrent location.

Which, to implement, will most likely be pretty difficult.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-22-2005 at 03:31 PM

I think it would be possible to make a feature to 'reenable' the adbanner. But I don't have any experience with automating reshacks (yet).

@monster.rat: I succeeded enabling the banner with wave 11:
[Image: screen5.JPG]

It required a little reshack + a tiny code change. It will probably be a nice option as well in the final installer.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 05-22-2005 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzi
I think it would be possible to make a feature to 'reenable' the adbanner. But I don't have any experience with automating reshacks (yet).

@monster.rat: I succeeded enabling the banner with wave 11:
[Image: screen5.JPG]

It required a little reshack + a tiny code change. It will probably be a nice option as well in the final installer.

Thanks Juzzi, is this updated in the attachment of your first post or only for the final installer?

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-22-2005 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
Thanks Juzzi, is this updated in the attachment of your first post or only for the final installer?

Probably only in the final installer, because it uses reshacking and need to automate that :).
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Dempsey on 05-22-2005 at 03:53 PM

do you still want me to make the mpsounds.net ad page Juzzi?

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-22-2005 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
Yes, why not! Set it up at http://www.mpsounds.net/?id=adcontrol and it'll immediately work. Btw, did you guys actually test it yet (Raceprouk/Dempsey/...)?
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Dempsey on 05-22-2005 at 04:13 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
Yes, why not! Set it up at http://www.mpsounds.net/?id=adcontrol and it'll immediately work. Btw, did you guys actually test it yet (Raceprouk/Dempsey/...)?
i havent tested it yet no, cos ive patched my msn and im too lazy to unpatch it atm :P
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by RaceProUK on 05-22-2005 at 05:54 PM

I haven't either. However, I have Wave11, MSNM7 unpatched, and MSNM6, so I may.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-22-2005 at 06:45 PM

It can now successfully communicate with iTunes, but I need to make a skin with all the functions (current track bar will be supported) before I update the file. I don't have time for that now, done enough for today :p

@raceprouk, it would be nice if you could test it and tell me whether it works for you on msn 6/7

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-23-2005 at 02:14 AM

How do i install this?

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Vilkku on 05-23-2005 at 04:23 AM

quote:
Just extract the files into a new folder, run 'adcontrol.exe', and when everything went alright your adspace should look like the first screen above. Then right click to select a 'page'.

Reading the first post is allowed.
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by dylan! on 05-23-2005 at 05:28 AM

ive tried with msn running and msn messenger not running and after i run it and open msn its advertisements

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 05-23-2005 at 06:07 AM

I'm Glad you're changing this into a plugin and making it work for the Wave 11 skin :grin: thanks Juzzi

One thing i notice though, when double click adcontrol.exe then i go to click the start menu, the start menu doesn't open...

But once i terminate it in the processes menu, i'm able to open it again

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 05-23-2005 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~!dylan!~
ive tried with msn running and msn messenger not running and after i run it and open msn its advertisements

Are you using AdControl on a clean version of MSN, no patches or anything?

Also make sure that adcontrol.exe is only running once. Ctrl+Alt+Del, processes tab and make sure adcontrol is only there once.
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 05-23-2005 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
How do i install this?

Download it, extract the contents, and double click on the adcontrol.exe file...
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-23-2005 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku

I click on the adcontrol.exe and it is not working, I don't know, I'm gonna try and dl it again
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-23-2005 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku

I click on the adcontrol.exe and it is not working, I don't know, I'm gonna try and dl it again

It could be the picture in the main window doesn't get updated after you ran the .exe. If it doesn't, just try right clicking it; it should show a popupmenu :). Also make sure AdControl.exe is not running (Task Manager, ctrl alt del) when you try to start it again.
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-25-2005 at 02:29 AM

Omg, it is still not working,...

I open adcontrol.exe , i see it on task manager. I open MSN Messenger, when I sign in, another add appears and when I right-click it, it says "Play", "Rewind", "About Macromedia Flash Player".

What am I doing wrong?

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-25-2005 at 05:52 AM

Are you using polygamy? Otherwise, add me to msn (check profile), maybe I can help you ou. Or you could wait for a newer version.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by super-schaf on 05-27-2005 at 05:56 PM

when will the shoutbox work im reeeaaaly exited!

PS:well done i like it alot! keep up the good work;-)

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 05-28-2005 at 01:15 AM

Looking forward to this being finished, and releeased as a plugin!

(The main reason I posted was to follow this thread by mail-notification - couldn't find an option to recieve mail without posting....)

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Lou on 05-28-2005 at 02:39 AM

THis seems great...would it be possible to make a thing like winamp but for musicmatch?

RE: RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Dempsey on 05-28-2005 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by einum
(The main reason I posted was to follow this thread by mail-notification - couldn't find an option to recieve mail without posting....)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=469612]
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 05-28-2005 at 08:52 AM

Ah! Thank you Dempsey! I'll keep that in mind next time. I was looking for a button or something, and thought I checked all the link down on the left too - but obviously I missed at least one of them....

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-28-2005 at 09:44 AM

Nice to see so much enthousiasm!
The last few days I didn't work very hard on the program because of the nice wheather over here (30 degrees Celsius (#)). Anyway, the iTunes controller works fine now, and maybe I can release a plugin version this weekend :).

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
THis seems great...would it be possible to make a thing like winamp but for musicmatch?
I guess it's  possible, I might implement it in the final version!

quote:
Originally posted by super-schaf
when will the shoutbox work im reeeaaaly exited!
I still need to make the php shoutbox, I can't really give you an exact date when it'll be finished.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Destruction on 05-28-2005 at 10:19 AM

This is great news juzzi and well done! I think you have worked really hard with this and hopefully we can make ADP 2 a success as well.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-28-2005 at 11:08 AM

Thanks destruction!

Last minute's progress.... (hold your breath)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=469698]

This controller in the conversation, actually works! The height & layout need to be adjusted though, and some more little problems.

[offtopic]The technique used could probably also be used to replace the avatar, and add 'fake animated display pictures'.[/offtopic]

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-28-2005 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Thanks destruction!

Last minute's progress.... (hold your breath)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=469698]

This controller in the conversation, actually works! The height & layout need to be adjusted though, and some more little problems.

[offtopic]The technique used could probably also be used to replace the avatar, and add 'fake animated display pictures'.[/offtopic]
DUDE!!!!!
Serisouly???? Omg!!... If this is true share your information with a few others...??
Is it any speciel technique or how did you manage to get it working?

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-28-2005 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
DUDE!!!!!
Serisouly???? Omg!!... If this is true share your information with a few others...??
Is it any speciel technique or how did you manage to get it working?
Well, I might not use the best way to do it, but certainly not the worst. The area you see is more or less the same as the advertisement in the main window :). I might release some sample code some time. But first I'm going to finish this stuff...
quote:
Originally posted by Kruxx
O..M..G..
I'll take that as a positive reaction ;)

Btw, progress is going fine. Polygamy is working I think, and the conversation controller is smaller now.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Kruxx on 05-28-2005 at 05:53 PM

Yes it was a positive response ! Good job mate. Similar to the Wave11 skin, the Neowin skin also replaces the ad in the contact window with it's sponsor ad (smiley central 8-)) So at the moment (I've just switched to that skin) I can't use it for this feature, would it be possible to over-write this ad too, like you did with Wave11...

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-28-2005 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Yes it was a positive response ! Good job mate. Similar to the Wave11 skin, the Neowin skin also replaces the ad in the contact window with it's sponsor ad (smiley central 8-)) So at the moment (I've just switched to that skin) I can't use it for this feature, would it be possible to over-write this ad too, like you did with Wave11...
I will look at that later, but you might understand it isn't the highest priority atm ;)

Here's a new screenie :D
[Image: attachment.php?pid=469941]
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by dylan! on 05-28-2005 at 08:16 PM

where can we download the one for convo?!?!:O...

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-28-2005 at 08:18 PM

quote:

where can we download the one for convo?!?!...
Not available for download... yet!
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-28-2005 at 11:38 PM

Very f***ing well done Juzzi!!! :D.. I know you have been working hard on this one, and it looks so impressive!!! :D...
It is really nice to see "my original" Media Controller On Adspace idea taking form as a really nice and well-done plugin... I can't give you enough possitive words for this job.. :D... It looks so promising I can't wait til the final release!!! :O!!!

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by dylan! on 05-28-2005 at 11:42 PM

oh cmon!...i could test it for you and let u knwo hwo it works:P(A)

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Plik on 05-28-2005 at 11:47 PM

Just wondering, is this going to be skinable in the final release? i.e. add your own images for the media controller buttons.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-29-2005 at 07:26 AM

quote:
oh cmon!...i could test it for you and let u knwo hwo it works:P(A)
I will release a test version as soon as I can. You need to understand making it work for a single computer with programming apps open and manually reshacking is one thing, but making a fine installer so everyone can test it isn't done in a few seconds as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
Just wondering, is this going to be skinable in the final release? i.e. add your own images for the media controller buttons.
It is very easy to skin already. I'll probably ask some skinners to design the release-version. The buttons you see at the screens from the WMP/iTunes controller are just some boring google pics atm ;)

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 05-29-2005 at 11:46 AM

Hopefully you make the WinAmp-controller in the conversation window just as thin as the MediaPlayer-controller. I don't feel like wanting that thick line with buttons under my convo.... Try to make it as close to the size that the AdBanner-line originally is below the convo.

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Kruxx on 05-29-2005 at 05:30 PM

^^^^ Did you not see the latest screenshot?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=469941

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 05-29-2005 at 11:11 PM

Yes, I did, but that was Windows Media Player, not WinAmp. If you select Windows Media Player in your contact list, the buttons are just as small as in the convo window screenshot you refer to. The only difference is that the text is located below the buttons in the contact list window.

If you compare the WinAmp convo window screenshot http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=469698 with the WinAmp in your contact list, you will see they are the same too.

That is why I wrote

quote:
Hopefully you make the WinAmp-controller in the conversation window just as thin as the MediaPlayer-controller.
Read again, and check the text below / next to the controller buttons on the two previously attached pictures, and you will probably understand what I mean.
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 05-30-2005 at 05:46 AM

Don't worry guys, the winamp controller will be the same size as the WMP controller :). The early screenshot was just to show I managed to put it there, this is why I said:

quote:
The height & layout need to be adjusted though

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 05-30-2005 at 06:32 AM

quote:
^^^^ Did you not see the latest screenshot?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=469941

:drool:

Oh it looks great! :grin:

This will definately be something i use
RE: RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Kruxx on 05-30-2005 at 09:59 AM

quote:
Yes, I did, but that was Windows Media Player, not WinAmp. If you select Windows Media Player in your contact list, the buttons are just as small as in the convo window screenshot you refer to. The only difference is that the text is located below the buttons in the contact list window.

If you compare the WinAmp convo window screenshot http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=469698 with the WinAmp in your contact list, you will see they are the same too.

That is why I wrote
quote:
Hopefully you make the WinAmp-controller in the conversation window just as thin as the MediaPlayer-controller.
Read again, and check the text below / next to the controller buttons on the two previously attached pictures, and you will probably understand what I mean.

I didn't mean to seem patronising, sorry. I just thought it was common knowledge that both controllers for WMP and WinAmp would be the same size, afterall, the do the same things just for a different media player... Either way, sorry for the confusion.
RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-05-2005 at 07:28 PM

Alright guys, I've been ill for a few days, and now I continued this project again :)
I've been working on the patching system, and it works quite fine now. It also supports patched-versions of msn (although this still needs some improvement).

I also realised that soft-patching might be better instead, but I didn't have time yet to look how that works (anyone can help me on that perhaps?).

Also, I don't know when you can expect a new downloadable version yet. I guess I have to catch up with my schoolwork first ;)

RE: AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by aNILEator on 06-06-2005 at 06:42 AM

Cool, if you do skins, try to make it look like the WMP10 bar for the WMP one :D

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-06-2005 at 07:08 PM

I uploaded a new version, go ahead and give it a try, check out the main post.

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 06-06-2005 at 07:10 PM

quote:
I uploaded a new version, go ahead and give it a try, check out the main post.

Thanks for the update, I've been waiting for an iTunes conroller for this and the plugin version looks great.

* Zephyr tests the plugin
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 06-06-2005 at 08:12 PM

When the final version is released, I hope there will be "something" inside the configuration of the plugin in Messenger Plus!'s settings. Now it's just the About-box there. I want WinAmp to be default, not WMP. And some others probably want iTunes to be default. Besides that, I have no negative comments, a great plugin! (Y)

Uh.... one more thing, the WinAmp controller buttons inside the conversation wasn't the nicest looking buttons I've seen... It isn't possible to see any difference between STOP and PAUSE! :S What about using the buttons from WinAmps own "Windowshade mode" (the button between Minimize and Close in the upper right of WinAmp's main window) instead of something that looks like redused sized normal buttons...?

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by (CyBeRDuDe) on 06-06-2005 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Uh.... one more thing, the WinAmp controller buttons inside the conversation wasn't the nicest looking buttons I've seen... It isn't possible to see any difference between STOP and PAUSE! :S What about using the buttons from WinAmps own "Windowshade mode" (the button between Minimize and Close in the upper right of WinAmp's main window) instead of something that looks like redused sized normal buttons...?
Please read the update on the first post.. Here.. I'll Quote it for you...
quote:
Also you do not need to comment the skins yet. This release is just to test whether it works for most users. I know the winamp buttons in the conv window are terribly small, this will all be improved.

Anyways.. :D.. Nice work Juzzi... I really like the screenshot.. :D.. Will try this later tonight, or maybe tomorrow... It looks really promising as usual.. :D...
Keep up the work man! :D...
RE: RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 06-06-2005 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)Please read the update on the first post.. Here.. I'll Quote it for you...
Ups! :$ Sorry 'bout that!

EDIT: I found something that I feel is a major disadvantage of this plugin, it hijackes my MSN Today page with AdControl-buttons there too! 8o|

EDIT2: I found a bigger disadvantage: It hijackes the games pages with AdControl buttons too! :@

*AdControl removed*

And the old one, that worked perfectly for me.... Of course I already deleted the install-file! :(
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-07-2005 at 04:36 AM

quote:
When the final version is released, I hope there will be "something" inside the configuration of the plugin in Messenger Plus!'s settings. Now it's just the About-box there. I want WinAmp to be default, not WMP. And some others probably want iTunes to be default. Besides that, I have no negative comments, a great plugin!
I'll add some configuration options :).
quote:
I found something that I feel is a major disadvantage of this plugin, it hijackes my MSN Today page with AdControl-buttons there too!
Lol, that will be fixed :p. Tanks for reporting.
edit: hmm, I'll have to look at that games thing as well :)

If anyone has some spare time left, feel free to try making a skin for a media controller. Take a look at the Adcontrol dir inside the plugins dir or just post some images of play/pause etc. buttons :d

One more question: do you guys think that when you change the page in a convo window, all convo windows should change to that page, or is the current way fine (change just the one you clicked)? (keep in mind there will be a default-page-feature, as stated before)
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by haydos on 06-07-2005 at 05:55 AM

quote:
One more question: do you guys think that when you change the page in a convo window, all convo windows should change to that page, or is the current way fine (change just the one you clicked)? (keep in mind there will be a default-page-feature, as stated before)
I personally think that it would be better in all conversation windows for a few main reasons.
  • If it was only in one window you could stop talking to a person but you would have to keep their window open (or start the plug-in with another person) which could be annoying
  • Because it is only a thin bar which I dont think anybody really looks at much I dont see the problem in having it in all windows
  • It could be a hassle finding the right conversation if you are talking to many people and the media controller is only in one of the windows

Just my views, other people may obviously think differently
Keep up the amazing work Juzzi

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Leif on 06-07-2005 at 06:26 AM

Hmmm... Just installed the update. Result: got the ads back! 8o|

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 06-07-2005 at 06:30 AM

Well i uninstalled my skin just to try it, but once i copy msn dir to the msn directory and double click on adcontrol_patch.exe it says -

Could not create backup file, continue anyway?

Then if i click yes, the 'send error' report box comes up

If i click no, it just closes

Any suggestions on how to get it working?

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-07-2005 at 12:01 PM

I fixed the problems with MSN Today & games, download the new version (main post) or simply replace the existing msnhook.dll (in your Messenger Plus!\plugins\Adcontrol directory) with the attached one.

@haydn, I'm not sure whether you got my point. I didn't mean to add the controller to only one window. I meant must selecting another page change all convo-controllers to that page, or only the one you right-clicked (like now)?

quote:
Originally posted by Leif
Hmmm... Just installed the update. Result: got the ads back!
Explain further... it does bring back the main adspace, but replaces it with the controller of course. What's the point?

@Third Dimension:
1) Did you shutdown msn messenger first?
2) Is your messenger executable named 'msnmsgr.exe'? If not, rename it.
RE: RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 06-07-2005 at 12:04 PM

quote:
I fixed the problems with MSN Today & games, download the new version (main post)
Great! Will test it later today.
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 06-07-2005 at 12:13 PM

Oopz sorry, had it in the windows messenger folder, my mistake

For some reason though it still aint working, i double click on adcontrol_patch.exe it opens, then closes, then i open my msn messenger, and it still isn't there :undecided:

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-07-2005 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
For some reason though it still aint working, i double click on adcontrol_patch.exe it opens, then closes, then i open my msn messenger, and it still isn't there
Add me to msn (see profile), then I can help you out more easily :)
RE: RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Leif on 06-07-2005 at 12:30 PM

quote:
quote:
Hmmm... Just installed the update. Result: got the ads back!
Explain further... it does bring back the main adspace, but replaces it with the controller of course.

Looks like this:
[Image: msn.jpg]
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-07-2005 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Looks like this:
Hmm I see, weird :/ right-clicking it has no effect I suppose? what about the convo window?
RE: RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Leif on 06-07-2005 at 01:45 PM

quote:
quote:
Looks like this:
Hmm I see, weird :/ right-clicking it has no effect I suppose?
Nope
quote:
what about the convo window?

Looks exactly as before.

:(
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by absorbation on 06-07-2005 at 02:54 PM

Ok this is coming together now good work, let me know if you need any help. I'll upload your plugin later so people can get it from there as  well (i'll zip it to save people having to use winrar when they dont have it)

Keep up the good work (Y)

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-07-2005 at 07:45 PM

Although it still doesn't work for all people, some others only had trouble installing. Try the attached installer ;)

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Leif on 06-07-2005 at 08:31 PM

[Image: adcontrol.png]
But this time it at least appears in the plugin section of Plus!
Doesn't work, though.

Edit: So I deleted the offending file and reinstalled. No luck this time either, but no error message, of course. This plug-in simply does not work for me.

Edit 2: I talked Tillman (my co-translator) into installing it.
Result 1: He got the ads back :|
Result 2: Tillman very angry now :@
(and he's from Motala, so beware ...)

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by si3rra on 06-07-2005 at 09:37 PM

Tillman aka si3rra... :@
Result..
Ad banner re-appers, msn song links gone... :(

posting screenshot..

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 06-07-2005 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by si3rra
Tillman aka si3rra... :@
Result..
Ad banner re-appers, msn song links gone... :(

posting screenshot..

I'm not sure if the song links disappearing is anything to do with that. See the very recent thread I Can't See MSN Space In My Contact List

Many people are also experiencing this and it has only just happened. Seems to be something to do with the MSN servers.
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by si3rra on 06-07-2005 at 10:08 PM

never hade problem with songlinks or contact cards before installing adControl!

edit.. after reinstalling msn.. i found out one more thing that dissapered...
see screenshot, those 2 was NOT there when running adcontrol..

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-08-2005 at 05:54 AM

quote:
never hade problem with songlinks or contact cards before installing adControl!

I doubt adcontrol as something to do with that. But I'll look over the patching system :/
Anyway, instead of reinstalling msn, adcontrol makes a backup in your msn folder called 'msnmsgr_no_adcontrol.bak', if you replace msnmsgr.exe with that one it'll work again (and you can delete the adcontrol files in the msgplus plugins dir).

It seems not many people had luck with the new version... I'll try it at some friends first, before then I wouldn't recommend anyone installing it.
Thanks for now :)
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 06-08-2005 at 06:02 AM

quote:
Add me to msn (see profile), then I can help you out more easily

Added yah :)

quote:
Although it still doesn't work for all people, some others only had trouble installing. Try the attached installer

Well now the conversation windows are working, thats good - but still the msn add in the contact list is still there and not adcontrol

Edit: The add in the contact list changed to adspace 20 minutes after i signed into msn, everything seems ok now looks great Juzzi :)
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by aNILEator on 06-08-2005 at 10:38 AM

any idea when a decent beta/ final version will be released i love the sound of this thing, can't wait to start skinning it :P

RE: RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 06-08-2005 at 01:25 PM

quote:
quote:
I doubt adcontrol as something to do with that. But I'll look over the patching system :/
I seriously doubt that too. Those two menu choices came along with MSN Messenger 7. None of the patches I've seen edit dropdown menus, they only change the GUI, so those two choices have been there, only you haven't noticed them before.

Just my 2 ¢
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by si3rra on 06-08-2005 at 05:27 PM

i have noticed them!.. i use them!..
But something is'nt right
Cuz.. after installing AdControl my firewall tells me "Application has changed since the last time" file: msnmsgr.exe

what does adcontrol change in "msnmsgr.exe" ?

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by absorbation on 06-08-2005 at 06:03 PM

quote:

It pacthes it to make it restore the banner :P
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-08-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
quote:

It pacthes it to make it restore the banner :P
And it adds the controller to the main window :).

einum & si3rra, is it working for you?
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by si3rra on 06-08-2005 at 07:33 PM

no

RE: RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by einum on 06-08-2005 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzieinum & si3rra, is it working for you?
I didn't innstall it again until now... :$
But yes, it seems to work 100% here, and without any hi-jacking of MSN Today and Games, like it did earlier.

UPDATE: I've had problems with my Messenger lately. I don't know if it has been related to the servers only, since a lot of users have had problems, or if there has been something wrong with my computer too.

Anyway, I've uninstalled Messenger, and re-installed it. Before I patched it with A-Patch or anything, even before using the AdControl patch, I used my 100% standard Messenger for a while (MsgPlus! was of course installed). Even without running the AdControl patch, I'm still able to see the controller in the main window, but not in the convo window. So it seems that the plugin for MsgPlus! itself is enough. I don't mind if the controller are missing from the convo window, that wasn't my favourite after all.
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 06-14-2005 at 03:52 AM

Hrmm, Juzzi i find that sometimes Adcontrol just doesn't load, itll be there in the processes, but somoetimes it wont load in the convo windows, and soemtimes it wont load in the contact list, or sometimes it wont load in both :undecided:

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Solar_custom on 06-14-2005 at 08:32 AM

Ok, right now I followed everything correctly but nothing works at all, and I'm assuming adcontrol.exe? is supposed to be running in the processes, which it isn't. I'm gonna go restart my computer now and see the results.

P.S you can change the look of the buttons by going into the MsgPlus plugins dir, then go into adcontrol, large, then pick a player then go into images. Edit the images to how you want it ;). I haven't tried this but I'm guessing it should work.

RE: RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by DJHasis on 06-14-2005 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Solar_custom
Ok, right now I followed everything correctly but nothing works at all, and I'm assuming adcontrol.exe? is supposed to be running in the processes, which it isn't. I'm gonna go restart my computer now and see the results.

P.S you can change the look of the buttons by going into the MsgPlus plugins dir, then go into adcontrol, large, then pick a player then go into images. Edit the images to how you want it ;). I haven't tried this but I'm guessing it should work.

Wicked! :P

But if the canvas size get's bigger then how can those links on the buttons be rearranged for the new buttons? ^o)
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Solar_custom on 06-17-2005 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJHasis
Wicked! :P

But if the canvas size get's bigger then how can those links on the buttons be rearranged for the new buttons? ^o)

Hmm, just try keep the original size the same so you face no trouble ;)

Also, this thing just isn't working for me. Let me try once again right now!
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by J.J on 06-17-2005 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Also, this thing just isn't working for me. Let me try once again right now!

Try the installer, that's the thing that made it work for me - bottom of the page

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=45115&page=7

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Solar_custom on 06-19-2005 at 10:47 AM

Thanks alot, solved part of my problem because now, sometimes it just doesn't show or sometimes it does. Apart from this problem, I love it :)

[EDIT]: Juzzi, is there anyway I could have the Winamp skin in replace for the Windows Media Player skins because WMP skins look ugly. Also the buttons don't change when your mouse goes over it or anything, which makes it very boring.

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-19-2005 at 11:34 AM

Hey Solar, you answered your question yourself:

quote:
P.S you can change the look of the buttons by going into the MsgPlus plugins dir, then go into adcontrol, large, then pick a player then go into images. Edit the images to how you want it . I haven't tried this but I'm guessing it should work.

Let me know when you're having problems with it. For rollover/click states, use CSS or just check the winamp source (that's done with JavaScript).
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Solar_custom on 06-22-2005 at 11:17 AM

Yeah your exactly right Juzzi, but I want the Winamp skins instead of the WMP ones (i.e the WMP skin is replaced by the winamp skins) but  the button isn't the same such as there isn't no play/pause button for Winamp.  So this has left me confused on what to do...

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 06-23-2005 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Yeah your exactly right Juzzi, but I want the Winamp skins instead of the WMP ones (i.e the WMP skin is replaced by the winamp skins) but  the button isn't the same such as there isn't no play/pause button for Winamp.  So this has left me confused on what to do...
Yes I know that's a problem, that's exactly why the buttons for WMP/iTunes are different then the winamp ones. I don't know whether you/anyone else could photoshop some nice 'skins'?
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by King Of Chaos on 09-03-2005 at 09:27 PM

Any news about this awesome plugin?

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by dotNorma on 09-03-2005 at 09:58 PM

Wow, finally something useful!

Ive also had these icons missing for forever (Replaced with blank icon) and when I installed the plugin it fixed them :dodgy:

I like it alot, shame the winamp buttons are so ugly. (In convo that is)

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by King Of Chaos on 09-03-2005 at 10:26 PM

I can't even make the controller show up at all

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 09-03-2005 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King Of Chaos
I can't even make the controller show up at all

Did you follow the instructions in the text file?

Its pretty simple. Btw, if your running any skins or patches it is likely the controller won't show. It is best to use this on a clean version of msn. Or if you are using a patch, just don't remove the advertisement banner.
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 09-03-2005 at 10:33 PM

Ah, there's activity in this thread again :p

I hope to release an 'official version' within 3 weeks. Anyone wants to skin the buttons?

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by ipab on 09-04-2005 at 01:44 AM

have a bit of other work to do (like skinning web2messenger forums) and matty's ipod software, but im sure that i can fit it in there somewhere.

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by King Of Chaos on 09-04-2005 at 05:17 PM

I don't patch the ads, but the controllers are blank (i can right click and get options but nothing happens)

BTW, i'm using MSNM v7.5.0303 if that matters

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Zephyr on 09-04-2005 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King Of Chaos
I don't patch the ads, but the controllers are blank (i can right click and get options but nothing happens)

BTW, i'm using MSNM v7.5.0303 if that matters

Are you sure you followed the instructions properly. Like when it says to copy into the messenger plus plugins folder, make sure you copy the folder called Adcontrol as well.

Check your plugins folder (C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\Plugins) and their should be a folder called AdControl which contains the images for the buttons. If there isn't you need to copy it from the zipped file in the first post.
RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 09-04-2005 at 05:29 PM

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by King Of Chaos on 09-04-2005 at 08:20 PM

Hehehe, I got it to work (had to allow it to use the firewall.....but it never poped up a little thing telling me to allow it...hummmmmm)

Anyways, I love this plugin sooo much...but I notice sometimes it switches back to WMP mode from Winamp mode, without me changing it (after I minimize MSNM)

Also, Is there any way for it to blend with the background your using (i'm using a dynamic background and its orange on the bottom) with the convo controller........Also, is there anyway to center the controls in the convo controller?

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 09-04-2005 at 08:42 PM

Great to hear it's working!
Centering the controls will be quite impossible. You can skin everything in the AdControl msgplus plugins dir, however, there will always be a white line next to the adcontrol space in the convo... I might be able to do something about that, I'll check :)

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by King Of Chaos on 09-04-2005 at 08:54 PM

Yay, thanks man :) Your the best!! ;)

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by Yousef on 09-08-2005 at 01:41 PM

Just made it so AdControl will only "softpatch" MSN Messenger. This means it's legal, and you messenger will look normal when you disabled adcontrol for some reason. The new version is not available for download yet.

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by King Of Chaos on 09-25-2005 at 10:49 PM

Thanks for the updated news man. :)

RE: [UPDATE 6/6] AdControl test version (former media controller on adspace) by the andyman on 11-13-2005 at 05:39 PM

any more developments :P - i just rediscovered this since it was made wmp compatible (even though that was ages ago!!)