Shoutbox

Can contacts see my IP and track me down? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? (/showthread.php?tid=46043)

Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by iplayatari on 06-09-2005 at 11:57 PM

in Messenger 7.0.........I heard you could with older messengers.........how about now?

I tried to do a search on this but IP is under 4 characters long.

Thanks in advance.

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by Joa on 06-10-2005 at 12:05 AM

they can't see your ip because the msn communication goes through msn's servers, and they "hide" the source of your communication..

so.. unless your contacts use hacking and lots of pinging. they can't. if you have a firewall installed, and use logic when using msn you should be safe though.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong

RE: RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by iplayatari on 06-10-2005 at 12:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa...so.. unless your contacts use hacking and lots of pinging. they can't. if you have a firewall installed, and use logic when using msn you should be safe though...

Yeah some of them are computer engineers and love to hack.......but I do have zone alarm and block all pings..........and I've tried proxy's but can't get em to work on my computer..............that's like the only thing aol does good........they hide your ip w/out even asking.
RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by mwe99 on 06-10-2005 at 12:15 AM

Unless you type in (!IP) then your IP will not be revealed to your contact :)

RE: RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by iplayatari on 06-10-2005 at 12:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Unless you type in (!IP) then your IP will not be revealed to your contact :)

That's good to hear.....thanks.
RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by segosa on 06-10-2005 at 06:46 AM

It's not like you should care if someone has your IP. Really, unless they're packet kiddies with a botnet who'll DDoS you, anyone else who's actually able to do anything would never bother with you.

And note, if they claim to be hackers, then they most likely aren't. A real hacker never admits to being one.

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by Veggie on 06-10-2005 at 06:51 AM

i dont get IP hiding, clearly the packets need to know where there going so it must have your ip there somewhere

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by x2zen on 06-10-2005 at 09:16 AM

Actually they can see your IP if they use a packetsniffer (100% legal) when you make a file transfer and it doesnt get sent via the MSN servers

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by segosa on 06-10-2005 at 10:25 AM

There's no need for a packet sniffer either, you can use tcpview ( http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html ) to see the connection. tcpview is basically netstat but real-time anyway..

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by Concord Dawn on 06-10-2005 at 01:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
It's not like you should care if someone has your IP. Really, unless they're packet kiddies with a botnet who'll DDoS you, anyone else who's actually able to do anything would never bother with you.

And note, if they claim to be hackers, then they most likely aren't. A real hacker never admits to being one.

Best advice, take it. And if you are so scared of someone hacking you, get off your computer.
RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by haydos on 06-10-2005 at 01:52 PM

I'm not sure about this but isn't there a method where you send a person a file of reasonable size (to create a connection between the computers) and then type in "netstat -n" in the command promt, allowing their IP to be revealed?

I have heard of this quite a few times before but does anybody know if it actually works accurately?

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by FrozernFire on 06-10-2005 at 01:54 PM

i don't use it, but i suppose it is quite accurate. it just listens for connections i think

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by -rafy- on 06-10-2005 at 02:28 PM

"Allow me to connect directly with my contacts" has to be checked in Secuity or something

RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by haydos on 06-10-2005 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
"Allow me to connect directly with my contacts" has to be checked in Secuity or something

But you are connenting directly if you are sending them a file right?
RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by segosa on 06-10-2005 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydn
quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-

But you are connenting directly if you are sending them a file right?

Yes.

And the netstat method is the same as my tcpview method above, except using tcpview it's far easier to pinpoint the connection, since it's the only one created by msnmsgr.exe that isn't going through remote port 1863.
RE: Can contacts see my IP and track me down? by jren207 on 06-11-2005 at 01:37 AM

also if you have your webcam on or they have theirs on, you connect directly as i noticed using netstat while in a webcam converstion.