Shoutbox

what is this popup trying to tell me - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: what is this popup trying to tell me (/showthread.php?tid=47181)

what is this popup trying to tell me by absorbation on 07-04-2005 at 05:58 PM

well i dont know what this is :S first i thought it was an ad then a virus but i dont know. I clicked yes by the way can someone help me. Sorry about the rude title :S

[Image: attachment.php?pid=490064]

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by Dempsey on 07-04-2005 at 06:02 PM

If you live in Aurope, Australia or India click Yes otherwise click No

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by Jhrono on 07-04-2005 at 06:03 PM

That Times new Roman font is dodgy-looking for a windows popup...anyway, choose the right option..if you live in Europe australia or india choose 50Hz...if you live in the american continent, on Japan, South Korea or Taiwan choose No, and another dialog should appear asking if you live in a 60Hz area..

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by absorbation on 07-04-2005 at 06:05 PM

Yeh i did but what is it for? why is it there? and it does look very dodgy making me think :P

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 07:22 PM

Hands up all those who think PC monitors are sensitive to mains AC frequency?
All those that did - you're all wrong! If they were, then you wouldn't get 70Hz montors would you?

Can you identify the application that popup came from? I also recommend running a full anti-spyware and virus scan, just in case you've been duped into downloading a Trojan.

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by saralk on 07-04-2005 at 07:25 PM

do you have a Trust Webcam?

If you do, then that is what is making the pop-up, i used to have a trust cam, and I got the same pop-up.

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by ShawnZ on 07-04-2005 at 07:26 PM

That is FOR SURE not a real/offical program. RaceProUK is right, its not country spesific like TVs are. Also, there is HORRIBLE spelling and grammar. Run a virus scan for sure, but it could just be some dodgy program that thinks monitors are country spesific or something (aka some idiot coded a stupid program that you downloaded)

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

If you do, then that is what is making the pop-up, i used to have a trust cam, and I got the same pop-up.
Interesting you mention that - it means it's not the monitor that's sensitive to AC frequency, but the webcam. Which shouldn't be sensitive anyway, as it uses a CCD, which I believe runs of DC?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device
The sensor in the webcam is most likely one of these, and therefore AC frequency doesn't matter.
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by absorbation on 07-04-2005 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

i have a logitech one and when i pluged it in it came up 20 seconds later :P
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by Jhrono on 07-04-2005 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Hands up all those who think PC monitors are sensitive to mains AC frequency?
All those that did - you're all wrong! If they were, then you wouldn't get 70Hz montors would you?
Dodgy me...i thought that, until i realised my monitor's frequency is 75 Hz 8-)
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by Reaper on 07-04-2005 at 10:41 PM

i got that popup when i installed my eyetoy as my webcam :P
its made by logitech. i am 99.9% sure its nothing harmful to your computer :D

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by mwe99 on 07-04-2005 at 10:49 PM

Basicially depending on the the region you live in your monitor can display different refresh rates, just chose which one you are :)

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by Dane on 07-04-2005 at 11:04 PM

Looks very unprofessional for logitech though...BAD logitech, VERY BAD.  I'd have guessed a virus or spyware/adware if I wouldnt have finished reading this thread.

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by ShawnZ on 07-05-2005 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Basicially depending on the the region you live in your monitor can display different refresh rates, just chose which one you are :)

Um.

Were you reading?
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Looks very unprofessional for logitech though...BAD logitech, VERY BAD.  I'd have guessed a virus or spyware/adware if I wouldnt have finished reading this thread.
Idd. VERY bad formation there. Logitech should take a quick lookover its driver software :/
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by RaceProUK on 07-05-2005 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Locality's got nothing to do with it: any monitor can have a refresh rate unrelated to AC frequency. TFTs don't use AC, and CRTs have circuitry to change AC frequency to the desired.

Edit: Anyway, it should be easy to automatically detect 50Hz from 60Hz. In fact, I could design a basic circuit to do that right now if you liked.
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by CookieRevised on 07-05-2005 at 01:49 PM

I'm just going to repeat stuff here, but meh....

No software and even no hardware is dependable on the power gird's frequency, that's pure BS (in the context of hardware of computers I mean)...

The ONLY thing that MIGHT be dependable on it is your power supply unit for your computer and that can of course by no means be controlled by any software. Even so, power supplies (or any other hardware that is to be plugged in into the power grid) MUST be able to run on frequencies between 50-60Hz, if they don't they even are illegal to be sold and even ditributed for safety reasons. Those are international standards!!!!

This said, it is possible that the frequency of a power grid can interfear with display components (flickering will occur). This useually happens only in old equipment which isn't isolated/filtered enough and with power grid cables of extremely low quality (the question is also: is it even safe to use such "bad" quality stuff now-a-days?). So this might be the only reasons I can think of why such a popup might exist to filter (by software) the flickering that might occur. However, as said, this usually only occurs in old and not good enough adapted equipment.

So all this sounds like a lame attempt to me to prevent frequency interfairing in the CCD of the camera. It is an extremely and very dodgy way of cutting the costs of building a webcam. All it takes are a very few small electrical components added to the camera's hardware to prevent this from happening; if it happens at all btw, as the chances of frequency interference are extremely slim anyways unless you physically hold your camera against power cables, and even then it would be extremely small...

If this isn't a lame virus/spyware popup then I would suggest to simply confirm the right setting and kill that stupid helper-application afterwards, as this is most likely not needed at all.

Logitec should fix this issue ASAP IMHO, and stop distributing such "faulty" hardware which requires some setting/program like that... (or at least fix the dodgy layout of the dialog).

PS: those who drag PC monitors into this, this has got nothing to do with this popup...

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by absorbation on 07-05-2005 at 03:32 PM

Ok cookie thanks i recenly moved my pc and chnaged all the plugs and that :) and when i plugged my webcam in that came up and installing new hardware wizard :S

It's dodgy it's not an expensive webcam about £25 = $43 :P

Thanks for all your help :)

RE: what is this popup trying to tell me by saralk on 07-05-2005 at 04:17 PM

maybe they haven't updated that part of the driver. Or maybe they use generic drivers, since i got the same popup with a trust cam.