Shoutbox

Promote ONE in your signature - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Promote ONE in your signature (/showthread.php?tid=47191)

Promote ONE in your signature by Dane on 07-04-2005 at 10:50 PM

You've seen the ONE ad's, now you can promote them on your websites and in your signature.  TechnologyPulse.net is now hosting for the month of July ONE banners and information.  Visit the site to learn more about how you can promote the ONE Campeign.

This is not meant as spam, its meant to raise awareness.

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by shine on 07-04-2005 at 11:17 PM

(y) for good cause

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by Joe on 07-04-2005 at 11:27 PM

there are banners at one.org for websites... i had them in my sig for a period...
:O... hey.. my avatar caption still supports one.org...

I think the G8 conference is this week... I'm hopin' things go the way they really SHOULD..

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by ShawnZ on 07-05-2005 at 01:55 AM

My attempt:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=490259]

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by albert on 07-05-2005 at 02:31 AM

but but but.. I was so proud of my new siggie/avatar set :( :'(

Ah.. who cares? its for a good cause, of course I'll support it :)

*lp15 clicks on the link

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by wacky on 07-05-2005 at 05:05 AM

I'm sorry, but I kinda think this is dumb. I don't want anyone bitching at me please.

I just mean.. poverty will always exist. Aslong as there are people who think money is very important and they gotta be rich (and there will always be some), poverty will always exist. Look at all the money the governments put into military stuff. Buying guns, buying bombs.. and what good does it do? That money could be used to give water to countries that don't have any, food to the REAL poor, shelter to the homeless. I don't believe this campaign will help much. Poverty will always exist. It might be hard to hear, but it's only fact.
You know what? I think it's your fault (who ever is reading). Just look at what you buy. A lot is useless. Look at all the money you put in computer parts, or how much you consume that could be given to poor people. Look at your house, if it's big. WHY is it big? It's useless. All the money you spend for your own enjoyment or because you've been told is a good thing to do (buying jewlery because its nice.. come on.. how useless can that get).. it could all be given to the poor. They have NOTHING while you live like happy mother --------------. I can't say I'm not the same, because of course I am. (I eat a lot, a can't really live without a comp, etc.)  But at least I know it. I hate money.. I don't want it, I don't think it does anything good for us. I only use it because I have to. That's how we live in these countries. Gotta buy food, gotta buy clothes, gotta buy stuff.. But at least I don't exagerate with it. I don't buy an expensive car just because it's fast and "beautiful", I take the city bus or I walk. I don't even want a car. Anyways... just saying, one campaign won't do shit all.. Everyone needs to change their way of living to see changes in this cruel world. But some people are selfish. Some people don't care.. some people wouldn't make sacrifices to help others. And that's why nothing will ever change. The world is dying people.. Maybe the poor are dying of famin, but we are dying ourselves. We are dying from global warming, we are dying from all the stupid things we caused... and we are dying in our minds, being controlled by media, by the government. People don't even act for themselves.. they see something on TV, and it's an "in" so they want it.. what's the point? Nothing.. its "kewl". Heh... right. Look at what the government is doing also. It steals your money so they can enjoy themselves.. you know how much they are paid to sit on their asses looking at the poor die? Lots.. lots that could be used to help a part of their own people. Look at the homeless people. They get PUSHED away so tourists can come and not be frightenned by them.. WTF? government wants money huh... how about they helped those homeless people and maybe they wouldnt even have to pay security and police to push them off..
There are poor people everywhere and there will always be. Maybe a campaign helps a certain place in the world but there's another poor place somewhere else..

Anyways... I think I made my point.

oh forgot to say: THINK ABOUT IT.

RE: RE: Promote ONE in your signature by Joa on 07-05-2005 at 05:46 AM

wacky - you did make your point, and i agree. it's everybody's fault up to a certain point that this world is such a shitty place. but it's not your or my fault that we were born here and not in a third world country. we just were luckier than some... you know?
and since we are luckier, there's a pressure on us to help those who are in need. sometimes its frustrating, cuz what the hell is the point... there are poor everywhere and no matter what we do there will always be poor people.

it's not like three people can save the world, and rid it of poverty... even if everybody pitched in, the world would still need saving. ... but :-/ some people can be saved and given the help they need to survive.. maybe a small family, maybe just some kid.. but still :-/

raising awareness helps out. sure we all buy a ton of stuff we don't need. most of the stuff i have is not neccessary to keep me alive or something.. but since i was made aware of the poor people in my own and other countries i put away a bit of money everyday, that i would usually spend on junk food or something... if everybody did that, we could save a few people's lives.

anyway, i agree because its shitty that we are told to do something that doesn't seem to make sense, cuz it won't even have a big impact... but in the end it does have an impact, even if it is a little one.

kinda related but not really -> it's kind of sad to see canada looking far out towards the third world countries, and spending so much money on them, when they don't even take care of the homeless of their own. supposedly they do... but if you could just look around my downtown :sad: you'd see the reality. And i mean... it's not like they have millons of people here to save, just a couple of families ..

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by SikStyles on 07-05-2005 at 05:55 AM

i have to agree with wacky here. Putting a signature somewhere doesnt help the needy. They will be the same as usual. People waste money on stupid fucking campeigns when there are people who really need it. Do you think this campeign is made with no money, fuck that. People get paid for doing this and they think they care, they dont, they only want their pay check. And poverty will always excist, it may get better or it may get worse, but it will not disappear! You dont have to use their made signatures to show that you care, you know better if you care or not, with or without the signature. What do you think this signature is going to do, slap money on poor people's asses? NO, it will become a paycheck whoever came up with this. Poverty is like nature -- you can make it better, but you cant lose it. If we make it better by donating a lot of money to the needy, then its never going to be enough, prices will go up and money will run out because the poor people dont have education and without education you will not get a job. If you think i dont care then i do care, but there is nothing i can do about it, just hope things will get better and goverment will open their eyes. I know there is a solution to all this, but we just havent found it yet

Now dont bitch about what i just said because it is my opinion

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by rav0 on 07-05-2005 at 06:15 AM

(N) I hate these billion destroy poverty campaigns. I don't not care about people suffering, but I think things like this are stupid. Even comunism didn't solve any nations problems. Making a person see the word ONE stare at them all day wont help anybody. The costs of hosting these signatures could be put to a better cause.

Nothing aimed at you, Dane, you are just letting us know we can use the images.

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by SikStyles on 07-05-2005 at 06:25 AM

pffft..i looked around the website www.one.org and realized it was a complete bullshit..do u know how much money they spent on that website..to hire all of those actors get them togehter and make a tape out of it and host it..make wristbands...t-shirts..pfff wtf..what the hell does that mean that you need our voice and not our money..how is our voice gonna help?! what have they done with my voice so far? just make "inspirational" crap..man this thing just pisses me off..stupid move..stupid move....

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by ShawnZ on 07-05-2005 at 07:15 AM

You're not very bright are you?

1) People do websites for free. I would, if it was for a good cause.
2) Maybe someone in the campagin can code websites. Lots of people can
3) They dont hire actors, they do it for the sake of the cause, you really think they're THAT dunce?
4) Wristbands cost about 40 cents to make, and they sell for $1+
5) Uh, maybe they make the tshirts and other apparel when they get the order? It costs more to buy the stuff then to make it
6) TONNES of people buy the shit for the cause, so they obviously make thier money back and some extra for charity.

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by saralk on 07-05-2005 at 07:35 AM

there is nothing that pisses me off more than these stupid poverty campagins, they get wrapped up in so much red tape that a lot of your money doesn't go to the poor.

Furthermore, the wristbands are the worst offenders, the ones made for charities might well be made in a sweatshop free enviroment, but they make wristbands fasionable, so people get them made in sweatshops where the people who work there are getting paid 40p a week, therefore worsening the problem.

Charity has become fasionable now, so everyone wants to look cool by supporting a charity. Yet all they will do is buy into the make poverty history, or one brand.

You don't see anyone who will give up a large proportion of their wealth in order to make the poor better off. And it is the same people who will complain about the huge rise in inflation that will occur when the impoverished countries finally, and deservedly become rich.

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by ShawnZ on 07-05-2005 at 07:38 AM

IDD Saral, but signatures+website banners+paypal donations != cost money :>

RE: RE: RE: Promote ONE in your signature by wacky on 07-05-2005 at 07:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
wacky - you did make your point, and i agree. it's everybody's fault up to a certain point that this world is such a shitty place. but it's not your or my fault that we were born here and not in a third world country. we just were luckier than some... you know?
and since we are luckier, there's a pressure on us to help those who are in need. sometimes its frustrating, cuz what the hell is the point... there are poor everywhere and no matter what we do there will always be poor people.

it's not like three people can save the world, and rid it of poverty... even if everybody pitched in, the world would still need saving. ... but :-/ some people can be saved and given the help they need to survive.. maybe a small family, maybe just some kid.. but still :-/

raising awareness helps out. sure we all buy a ton of stuff we don't need. most of the stuff i have is not neccessary to keep me alive or something.. but since i was made aware of the poor people in my own and other countries i put away a bit of money everyday, that i would usually spend on junk food or something... if everybody did that, we could save a few people's lives.

anyway, i agree because its shitty that we are told to do something that doesn't seem to make sense, cuz it won't even have a big impact... but in the end it does have an impact, even if it is a little one.

kinda related but not really -> it's kind of sad to see canada looking far out towards the third world countries, and spending so much money on them, when they don't even take care of the homeless of their own. supposedly they do... but if you could just look around my downtown :sad: you'd see the reality. And i mean... it's not like they have millons of people here to save, just a couple of families ..

oh, I'm not against the campaigns or anything. Its fine cuz they do save some people. But do know that sometimes campaigns are tricks.. they get you to give them money and they keep a bigger part of it then they should, which is lame :-/

they do take care of the homeless in some places but again.. depends where. But they dont take care of all of them. Actually.. they probably make people believe they do take care of them cuz I have seen documentaries and the homeless said they keep getting pushed further and further out the city.. (which were both in montreal AND toronto) biggest cities in canada. they don't do a thing for them though :-/
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by saralk on 07-05-2005 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz

True, but im more against the way that charity has become almost a fasion, everyone wants to seem really indie and mega because supposidly they care about the poor.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by Tasha on 07-05-2005 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
quote:

True, but im more against the way that charity has become almost a fasion, everyone wants to seem really indie and mega because supposidly they care about the poor.

yeah, me too.

There are loads of people at my school, who go around, with loads of those bands all up their arms, only because they think it's the fashion. Most of them don't even know what the money they spend on them go to, or what Live8 or anything like that, which is trying to help poverty, is. It annoys me.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by absorbation on 07-05-2005 at 03:05 PM

who cares as long as some money goes to those people suffering it does not matter :S

I stand up and i think the g8 meeting is very important especially america's contribution :P

at the end of the day we are so lucky and they deserve to live and not suffer :P

i've also added one to my site to help in a small way it will add up soon :)

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by saralk on 07-05-2005 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
who cares as long as some money goes to those people suffering it does not matter

because with these huge charities, they basically act as a business and so they have costs, and as these charities become brands (MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY is the best example) they have higher costs, and so the money that you donate also has to cover these costs. Which means less money for the poor and more money for organising concerts, and going to corrupt governments.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by wacky on 07-05-2005 at 10:39 PM

quote:
who cares as long as some money goes to those people suffering it does not matter
I care.. a lot, even. All that money wasted.. I mean, it could all go to the poor and save so many other lives.. think about it.
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
There are loads of people at my school, who go around, with loads of those bands all up their arms, only because they think it's the fashion. Most of them don't even know what the money they spend on them go to, or what Live8 or anything like that, which is trying to help poverty, is. It annoys me.
Indeed. I was in New York city, not long ago. When we went into China Town, they were selling those bracelets everywhere. And where do you think they make them? In some poor country where they pay kids no money at all. I hate the fashion :-/
Live8.. bah. I hate how they need to use celebs to make money.. And again, look at all the money they take to pay for the show. Most people only go to see the celebs, not to help poverty.

Just saying "make poverty history" pisses me off.. Cuz it will never happen. Even just "ONE" pisses me off.. never will everyone be the same. There will always be the rich, the generous, and the poor, no matter how many generous people there are. The rich will never change.
For example, I posted in the thread Patchou started about getting a new keyboard. I said I had to cope with my english one even though I'm french and it's annoying to not have the propper keys. I don't really mind though, because it works, but someone said "get another one". WHY? Why spend money on something you already have that works? It's stupid. But that's how MOST people live.. They have money so they spend it on so many useless things, while some are crying fro help. Why not help them instead? You'll feel much better after, too.

Bah.. I'm glad I got some people to think about this, cuz it hurts me a lot.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by Dane on 07-06-2005 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wacky
quote:
I care.. a lot, even. All that money wasted.. I mean, it could all go to the poor and save so many other lives.. think about it.

For all you know those "ONE" and "Make Poverty History" bands are being made for free by some company that wants to support the cause.  Sure, they have to buy the supplies and lose profit, but if they feel strong enough, why not?  Companies probably donate money to them to help create the bands...and again, the bands cost like, $0.45 to product and are being sold for $1 or more, thats still $0.55 per band going to the people.  The celebrities were not being paid a thing, the commercial was also probably produced for free along with the website.

The ONE Campeign to stop poverty is great, imo.  You can only buy packs of 10, 100 or 1000 bands.  So, for every package of 10 bands sold, $5.50 goes towards the poor.  For every package of 100 bands sold, $55.00 goes towards the poor.  For every package of 1000 bands sold, $550.00 goes towards the poor.  No matter what, millions have purchased the bands and have probably donated more than 25 million dollars to the cause.

quote:
Indeed. I was in New York city, not long ago. When we went into China Town, they were selling those bracelets everywhere. And where do you think they make them? In some poor country where they pay kids no money at all. I hate the fashion :-/

Prove it.  As far as I know, most of these bands are made in the United States or Canada.  No charity is going to buy from a company using kids to make the bands.  Period.

quote:

Live8.. bah. I hate how they need to use celebs to make money.. And again, look at all the money they take to pay for the show. Most people only go to see the celebs, not to help poverty.

The TV Campeign counts as a PSA and therefore was free (In the United States, at least).  Same with the Live8 concert...probably counted as a PSA, and even if it didnt, the interest sparked by the concert will sell more than enough bands/merchandise to pay for the concert.

quote:

Just saying "make poverty history" pisses me off.. Cuz it will never happen. Even just "ONE" pisses me off.. never will everyone be the same.

It will never happen?  There was a point in history where people believed that blacks would never be free in america.  It happened...Blacks are now free.  You cant say it will Never happen, because it probably WILL happen someday and somepoint in time.

quote:

For example, I posted in the thread Patchou started about getting a new keyboard. I said I had to cope with my english one even though I'm french and it's annoying to not have the propper keys. I don't really mind though, because it works, but someone said "get another one". WHY? Why spend money on something you already have that works? It's stupid. But that's how MOST people live.. They have money so they spend it on so many useless things, while some are crying for help. Why not help them instead? You'll feel much better after, too.

No one is going to give all there money to the charity...BUT, the point is, people who even give as little as $5.50 have helped in some way.

quote:

Bah.. I'm glad I got some people to think about this, cuz it hurts me a lot.

Why should it hurt you?  Its a charity doing something good.  I really feel sorry for you if you are against charity's and organizations like this.  They are out to help people.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by wacky on 07-06-2005 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
For all you know those "ONE" and "Make Poverty History" bands are being made for free by some company that wants to support the cause.
I didnt necessarely mean ONE. I just meant that I don't like it when some campaigns could give more money to the poor than what they do..

and I never said shit against campaigns. I even said
quote:
oh, I'm not against the campaigns or anything. Its fine cuz they do save some people.
if you could care to read a bit...
quote:
Prove it.  As far as I know, most of these bands are made in the United States or Canada.  No charity is going to buy from a company using kids to make the bands.  Period.
those sold in China Town werent for some charity. They were sold because it's become a fashion. Don't tell me the stuff they sell in China Town are made in the States.. it would cost them much less to make them in other countries. Surely some can be made in the states but I believe most arent. And again, I'm NOT talking about the charity ones.
quote:
It will never happen?  There was a point in history where people believed that blacks would never be free in america.  It happened...Blacks are now free.  You cant say it will Never happen, because it probably WILL happen someday and somepoint in time.
thats very much different. That all depended on one country. Now we are talking about many countries. And even though the black arent slaves anymore. There ARE still people who wish they still were, and there is still racism.. it's not completely gone, there's only a different law. But that depended on the government. You cant ask a government to stop poverty because it will always exist. Whether it's in a poor country or not. Even if it's in a rich country like the United-States. There are people living in the streets, unhelped.
quote:
No one is going to give all there money to the charity...BUT, the point is, people who even give as little as $5.50 have helped in some way.
and I AM glad.. just I believe people could do much more than that :-/
quote:

Why should it hurt you?  Its a charity doing something good.  I really feel sorry for you if you are against charity's and organizations like this.  They are out to help people.
I didnt say I was against it. I am against the people who are too selfish to realise a few things, how they are living, and such. Charity is good, but there are SOME that aren't. But like you probably think, at least some are getting helped. So many others could be helped if the world could change it's ways of living :-/
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by Joe on 07-06-2005 at 11:27 PM

Wacky, I want you to know Im 100% on your side...
People these days don't realize what they do...and I'll admit I'm not perfect, we use money so carelessly, and among many other things, complain about so many small things. We don't realize just how well we have it. I was talkin to someone earlier today and they were complaining so much stupid crap... it made me so angry, I just walked away... after i explained how little she had to complain about.

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by wacky on 07-07-2005 at 12:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
Wacky, I want you to know Im 100% on your side...
People these days don't realize what they do...and I'll admit I'm not perfect, we use money so carelessly, and among many other things, complain about so many small things. We don't realize just how well we have it. I was talkin to someone earlier today and they were complaining so much stupid crap... it made me so angry, I just walked away... after i explained how little she had to complain about.
thanks, that encourages me.
The other day, I was at my mum's friend's house. It's really messy cuz he's going through some depression, but he was worrying about what I'd think of the mess and stuff. Why does it even matter if a house is clean or messy. It doesn't change the person. There are also people who fuss about their looks so they spend loads and loads of money just to look "decent". What is decent anyways? Looking like what they show on television? Cmon.. what's on television is at least 50% fake. All the money those people could give to the poor instead of worrying about little things. And that's only worrying. Complaining is far worse. "Oh no!!!!!!!!!!! I broke a nail!" yeah.. you go spend money fixing up a broken nail.

:-/.
RE: RE: Promote ONE in your signature by rav0 on 07-07-2005 at 08:25 AM

quote:
You're not very bright are you?

quote:
1) People do websites for free. I would, if it was for a good cause.

Keeping a website costs. Server, housing, connection, maintaince etc.
quote:
2) Maybe someone in the campagin can code websites. Lots of people can

You're not very bright are you? That is the same as your first point.
quote:
3) They dont hire actors, they do it for the sake of the cause, you really think they're THAT dunce?

Is still costs to make and serve the videos, even if the actors didn't get paid.
quote:
4) Wristbands cost about 40 cents to make, and they sell for $1+

Wristbands actually cost about $0.004 to produce, but shipping costs much more than that.
quote:
5) Uh, maybe they make the tshirts and other apparel when they get the order? It costs more to buy the stuff then to make it

Really?
quote:
6) TONNES of people buy the shit for the cause, so they obviously make thier money back and some extra for charity.

Why would that be? Remember, they don't want our money.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by saralk on 07-07-2005 at 09:21 AM

I have always and will always hate these charities, we have got to a point where charities become brands, people will buy stuff with the MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY logo just because it has that on it, and noone really cares about the people in africa.

People say that they are buying these wristbands to show that they are against the cause. But that is something that makes me physically wretch, I have never known anyone to look at someones wrist, see the make poverty history wristband and suddenly care anymore about the campaign.

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12464

RE: RE: Promote ONE in your signature by emit on 07-07-2005 at 11:08 PM

quote:
quote:
thats very much different. That all depended on one country. Now we are talking about many countries. And even though the black arent slaves anymore. There ARE still people who wish they still were, and there is still racism.. it's not completely gone, there's only a different law. But that depended on the government. You cant ask a government to stop poverty because it will always exist. Whether it's in a poor country or not. Even if it's in a rich country like the United-States. There are people living in the streets, unhelped.

Of course many countries can unite, the Allies stopped Hitler and Nazi Germany, right?
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by wacky on 07-07-2005 at 11:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
Of course many countries can unite, the Allies stopped Hitler and Nazi Germany, right?
yeah, but it's easier to stop a war than to stop something that's always existed. Maybe Hitler was stopped but there are still Nazis. There are groups even in Canada. The hatred is still there even if there isn't any killing.
And let's say you give people in Africa a lot of money, enough for them to survive and live normally, how long will it last? They'll have to learn to make money of their own. If they can't, they'll keep being poor. The rich are those that can make money on their own, right? Tell me if I'm wrong.

And to say "make poverty history", well.. what is poverty? I'm still stuck with those words. Poverty can mean many things. Whether it's a lack of intelligence (you can say someone is mentally poor, I guess..) or people who don't have any/enough goods to survive or simply having no money, there will always be some (as few as it can be) that will be 'poor'. You can't make it dissapear. It's like saying "let's abolish war and have peace". That can't happen because there will always be people who will hate. It's in the animal nature to fight. Humans do it for stupid reasons but still.. All I'm saying is that poverty will never be gone. Maybe Africans will someday have the water and food they need, but there will still be some people that don't have what they need to survive. Whether it's in a poor country or not.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by Dane on 07-08-2005 at 04:39 AM

quote:
Maybe Africans will someday have the water and food they need, but there will still be some people that don't have what they need to survive. Whether it's in a poor country or not.

Well, if they have the water and food to survive, all they'd really need is shelter and such.  But they want/need/deserve more than that.  Would you live on just Water and Food and Shelter or would you want more?  I'd want more than just the basics.  They need schools and stuff too.

Disclaimer: I am writing this post half asleep, if it doesnt make sense, i'm sorry.
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by wacky on 07-08-2005 at 05:12 AM

quote:
quote:
Maybe Africans will someday have the water and food they need, but there will still be some people that don't have what they need to survive. Whether it's in a poor country or not.

Well, if they have the water and food to survive, all they'd really need is shelter and such.  But they want/need/deserve more than that.  Would you live on just Water and Food and Shelter or would you want more?  I'd want more than just the basics.  They need schools and stuff too.

Disclaimer: I am writing this post half asleep, if it doesnt make sense, i'm sorry.
it makes sense :chrongue: but that depends.. if I could get the basics for free, then sure.. I'd live like that because I dont want anything else. I dont want education because I dont want to work because I dont want to live with money. (though I do because thats how we live..) Though I am glad I do have the education I have else I wouldnt even be able to reply to anything on these forums because I wouldnt know much. But in those countries, when you are born that way, you don't really know what it's like to live the way we do.
But what I was saying, I believe they would have to find a way to make money on their own. People from our countries give them money now, but it's more like a boost, to keep them alive. They need to continue and get what they need on their own. But do they have the necessary ressources?

and btw, I am really tired to so.. :P
RE: Promote ONE in your signature by Sunshine on 07-08-2005 at 11:25 AM

I'd give to charity if i was able too and if i was sure it wouldnt go to those government peoples own pockets..to solve poverty you need to eliminate corruption first, asif thats ever gonna happen huh?

RE: Promote ONE in your signature by John Anderton on 07-08-2005 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
I'd give to charity if i was able too and if i was sure it wouldnt go to those government peoples own pockets ... to solve poverty you need to eliminate corruption first, asif thats ever gonna happen huh?
Thats more of a problem here :-/ Ill tell you why.
I dont know how many ppl know but there was a huge quake on 26 Jan a few yrs back .... 2002 or 2001
And it was i think a 7 - 8 on the richter scale. Nearly 1 million lost their houses .... many lost their lives (i think around 60k)
Many countries donated money and food. There was only country that gave tents. High quality beautiful tents that can easily be set up by anyone. It was the need of the hour. My dad's friends family was in that region and for a few days there was no phone connection. So my dad drove out with his friend to see the condition there. He saw that the tents came in air crafts but never reached the people there :-/
Houses had collapsed and people were under the debri. Rescue workers would save the people then at night the officials were stealing the money and gold found under the debri cause the people whom this belonged to were in hospitals. People became millionaires over night and others lost everything .....
Everything could have been better if there was no corruption. In a perfect world i wouldnt mind giving to a charity cause id know my money would reach the needful. I remember when i donated money, clothes and water when there was a huge hurricane and there was no water to drink. All the students in my school brought a 2 litre pacakaged mineral water pet pack and gave it .... we saw pics that this stuff actually reached them cause our own teachers went accross the country for this.
In our colony we have a charitable group run not by just anybody but by the people of our neighbour hood. Cancer patients can live there and in times of problems we give whatever we can and our own parents goto the place to see to it that these stuff are dropped off the the needful.
Its not that all these companies pocket the money cause i have seen with my own eyes people who care and do such stuff. But people who are corrupt give everyone a bad name and hence comes a trust issue. In its absence i am sure everyone of us would do their part to our society.
Think of it ..... if there was no corruption wouldnt you do your bit for your community .... how ever little it mabbe. So i think the most apt thing is what Sunshine said. For charities to work properly .... corruption should be eliminated but as we all know that aint gonna happen in the real world :-/