Shoutbox

PSP Mobile Phone - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: PSP Mobile Phone (/showthread.php?tid=49726)

PSP Mobile Phone by Mentality on 08-30-2005 at 01:52 PM

"When they said it would be multi-function, they weren't kidding"

As Well as being a hardcore mobile gaming device, UMD movie player, picture viewer and wireless internet freak of nature (as long as it becomes flash compatable anyways) , The psp may also be gettin a mobile phone mod. and I'm reckoning on it being maybe a camera phone of video phone depending on the camera that will be coming out for it.

Wanna know more?

[Quote]

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has confirmed that the company plans to release peripherals which add mobile phone and digital camera functionality to the PlayStation Portable, as devkits for the new console begin shipping.

The Website - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?sec..._name=dev&aid=2167

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=53126 is another site out of many you can look at.

I've noticed that most of the posts are quiet old., so I'm relativly suprised this isn't bigger news.

So as well as kicking nintendo up its mobile amstrad type games ass, the N-gage is gonna get a kick in the teeth too.

This could be considered a (Long Awaited) Revolution!!

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Negro_Joe on 08-30-2005 at 03:55 PM

Is there anything it cant do? I dunno about bein a phone though :S

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by ShawnZ on 08-30-2005 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
Is there anything it cant do? I dunno about bein a phone though [Image: msn_confused.gif]

No, since it is simply a computer and therefore anything can be written for it. Since it also has wireless internet support anything that could run on a computer could be added to the psp firmware.

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Mentality on 08-30-2005 at 04:16 PM

I think its kewl, i'll deffo buy it, if not just to see what its like.

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by saralk on 08-30-2005 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Since it also has wireless internet support anything that could run on a computer could be added to the psp firmware.

mobile phone support can't be coded through software alone, since WiFi is different from GSM and the likes. (afaik, there may be mobile phone hardware already in the PSP).
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by user27089 on 08-30-2005 at 05:07 PM

I think all of the things that they're coming up with are stupid, who in their right mind would use it as a mobile phone, a dvd player, a music player and a picture viewer.

Come on, please, what is with all of this pariphanalea that is coming out for it, it is a handheld console, it is defeating the object of the PSP.

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Plik on 08-30-2005 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I think all of the things that they're coming up with are stupid, who in their right mind would use it as a mobile phone, a dvd player, a music player and a picture viewer.

Come on, please, what is with all of this pariphanalea that is coming out for it, it is a handheld console, it is defeating the object of the PSP.

Umm loads of people, it means they only need to carry one thing around :-/

And its always been more a mobile entertainent device.
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Mentality on 08-30-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
.........console, it is defeating the object of the PSP.

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
Umm loads of people, it means they only need to carry one thing around

And its always been more a mobile entertainent device.

Exactly, and its not defeating the object of the PSP since what exactly is your perspective of a PSP. You could say that phones are defeating the objects of phones, coz they do the exact same thing pretty much these days, they play games, they hold and take pictures, they play videos, they play music, go online whats wrong with another device doing that, but on a larger capacity?
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by ShawnZ on 08-30-2005 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

mobile phone support can't be coded through software alone, since WiFi is different from GSM and the likes. (afaik, there may be mobile phone hardware already in the PSP).

Got VoIP?

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Negro_Joe on 08-30-2005 at 07:06 PM

quote:
t is a handheld console, it is defeating the object of the PSP

No i think these add-on are the point of the PSP, it has completey revolutionized handheld technology. It can be used or almost anything, which is the point of it!
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by saralk on 08-30-2005 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

Got VoIP?

A VoIP client does not a mobile phone make!

It would be awesomely lame if their 'mobile phone' was just a VoIP client.

Firstly, you would only be able to call in the vicinity of a WiFi hotspot, which limits any chance of calling to being in cities, or near houses in suburbia.

Secondly, in cities, a lot of hotspots will either be by businesses in which case they will nearly definatly be secured and inpenatratable, or they will be coming from coffee houses and McDonalds in which case you will have to buy credit in order to browse the net, or make VoIP calls. Which would suck, since it would be very unpredictable, there are a load of WiFi hotspot franchises around, T-Mobile, BT etc... so you would need credit for each one and there are a lot of companies who operate their own wifi hotspots and you can only use the credit within their hotspot, so you would have to buy credit which you could only use for that hotspot.

In conclusion, VoIP would be a huge dissapointment, to having a mobile phone intergrated into the PSP.

What I think they will do is make an addon for the PSP which has mobile phone hardware.
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Mentality on 08-30-2005 at 08:05 PM

quote:
What I think they will do is make an addon for the PSP which has mobile phone hardware.

That is the exact idea actually, its pretty much says that in most the reviews I'ved read, WI-FI mobile phone, thats just complicated and ridiculous.
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by paperless on 08-31-2005 at 12:53 PM

That is almost 2 year old news :/.

I think the mobile phone idea is just stupid, the camer on the other hand is a very good adition i hope they release it soon and it is a 5 MP one :P

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by mhl2008 on 08-31-2005 at 12:56 PM

my m8s got one of them.

i jst love plyin on it, wish i had 1 they really cool :(:(

x (k) x michelle x (k) x

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Mentality on 08-31-2005 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mhl2005
wish i had 1 they really cool

they're out tomorrow, in the UK yano (assuming your from the UK) I ordered mine from the US, The US rules, they get everything before the UK, thats unfair.
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by RaceProUK on 08-31-2005 at 03:46 PM

It is unfair :(
As for the whole phone debate, mobile phones should stay being phones (though keep SMS). The PSP on the other hand is a mobile entertainment centre. So, unless you dial those dodgy numbers in the back of dodgy magazines, phoning doesn't really fit the PSP.

IMO, phone for phoning, PSP for entertainment.

Edit: That way you can do both at the same time ;)

RE: PSP Mobile Phone by mhl2008 on 08-31-2005 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
quote:
wish i had 1 they really cool

they're out tomorrow, in the UK yano (assuming your from the UK) I ordered mine from the US, The US rules, they get everything before the UK, thats unfair.

i've got no money :'(:'(

gotta find sum1 to buy me it :):P:P:P

x (k) x michelle x (k) x
RE: PSP Mobile Phone by Mentality on 08-31-2005 at 04:31 PM

quote:
gotta find sum1 to buy me it

Good Luck :p

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
That way you can do both at the same time

NO, see the thing is, then they would both be on separate devices.
To have everything on one device is the advanatage, rather than carrying loadsa different devices around at once.:D