Shoutbox

Unplugging IDE cables - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Unplugging IDE cables (/showthread.php?tid=49763)

Unplugging IDE cables by WDZ on 08-31-2005 at 01:41 AM

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you unplug an IDE cable from the back of a drive or from a motherboard? Is there a "correct" way to do it? Most cables I've seen have absolutely no handles or grips or anything to help you pull it out. The only thing you can get a decent grip on is the ribbon cable itself, and I'm afraid that pulling on that could do some damage to the tiny wires inside. :-/ To make things even more difficult, many IDE connections are in tight spaces where there's not a lot of room to move your hands. :dodgy:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=524734]

I'm not much of a hardware person, so I was hoping someone with more experience could provide some insight... :p

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by mwe99 on 08-31-2005 at 01:44 AM

When i was sorting my CD-RW drive out i just yanked lol, i dont see any other way they can come out

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by WDZ on 08-31-2005 at 01:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
When i was sorting my CD-RW drive out i just yanked lol
:|

* WDZ shakes his head, disappointed...

I know you're supposed to use a gentle rocking motion, pulling in each direction a bit at a time, but the problem is getting a grip... :-/
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by prashker on 08-31-2005 at 01:50 AM

use the black thing hanging out. might not work but for me because ihave small hands.

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by WDZ on 08-31-2005 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
use the black thing hanging out. might not work but for me because ihave small hands.
What black thing? O_o
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by ddunk on 08-31-2005 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
When i was sorting my CD-RW drive out i just yanked lol
:|

* WDZ shakes his head, disappointed...

I know you're supposed to use a gentle rocking motion, pulling in each direction a bit at a time, but the problem is getting a grip... :-/

If you can get a small pair of pliers around the top and bottom, that could make like easier.
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by prashker on 08-31-2005 at 01:54 AM

its either black or grey u see the giant thing at the end of the IDE. u see there is half on one side of the cable and one on the other....

ill shut up now i forgot what i was gonna say

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by ShawnZ on 08-31-2005 at 01:55 AM

Grab it by the sides and jiggle it or slowly pull it straightly.

Another fun thing to try is running across some carpet then brushing your finger across it [Image: refuck.gif]

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by [MR] on 08-31-2005 at 02:05 AM

just pull it out it wont damage it.

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by uberdosis on 08-31-2005 at 02:09 AM

Unless, you realy jerk it and do it all the time.

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by WDZ on 08-31-2005 at 02:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
If you can get a small pair of pliers around the top and bottom, that could make like easier.
Maybe... I'd have to find a special pair of pliers though, that are small enough to fit in tight spaces, and have jaws that won't damage the connector...
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
its either black or grey u see the giant thing at the end of the IDE. u see there is half on one side of the cable and one on the other....
I dunno how you could get a good grip on that... I can't...
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Another fun thing to try is running across some carpet then brushing your finger across it :refuck:
* WDZ shoots a taser gun at ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
just pull it out it wont damage it.
:huh: I want to know HOW to pull it out.
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by [MR] on 08-31-2005 at 02:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
Unless, you realy jerk it and do it all the time.
ya but its not that hard to pull out...not like the power plugs for the HDD...those are really hard to pull out...but the IDE cables are easy to pull out :)

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I want to know HOW to pull it out.

by pulling it our of the harddrive...i thought u were sarter than that :( ...just kidding
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by Plik on 08-31-2005 at 02:16 AM

I normally hold either side of the connecter and rock it until it comes lose, it should be easy to get a grip on the left and right side of the connecter.

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by WDZ on 08-31-2005 at 02:41 AM

quote:
not like the power plugs for the HDD...those are really hard to pull out
O_o I completely disagree. The power cables are easy in comparison to the IDE. At least they have those little wing-shaped things sticking out to help you get a grip...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=524824]
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
I normally hold either side of the connecter and rock it until it comes lose, it should be easy to get a grip on the left and right side of the connecter.
It's not easy. :(
RE: RE: Unplugging IDE cables by CookieRevised on 08-31-2005 at 02:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman

yup, that's the correct way (which Shawnz also said)...

If this doesn't work because you can't get a grip on one of the sides, you may gently(!!!) grab the flat cable itself and gently(!!!) pull it, but it is not recommended to do it many times with the same cable. Best way this is done is by grabbing the cable and holding one of your fingers (or hand) against a solid object, so you don't bump into something else when it suddenly comes loose. But indeed be very carefull.

After it has come of, always pinch the plug a few times to make sure the cable hasn't come off or is loose. Those plugs are only pinched on, and the connections are very very tiny (they are even smaller (twice as small) in the "new" 80-wire IDE cables).

Note: some connectors of IDE's have handles though, but they are very rare as this is a very old type of connector. They aren't much produced and used anymore, cause they cost more to make...
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by ShawnZ on 08-31-2005 at 02:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
O_o I completely disagree. The power cables are easy in comparison to the IDE. At least they have those little wing-shaped things sticking out to help you get a grip...
but they really like to be bitches and jam in there >.<

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by WDZ on 08-31-2005 at 04:44 AM

Thanks for the post, Cookie... I was hoping you'd reply to this. :p Not quite what I wanted to hear though... I wish it was easier to unplug those damn cables... :-/ Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
but they really like to be bitches and jam in there
Hmm... if you say so... :p
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by multimillion2k on 08-31-2005 at 04:55 AM

You can unplug them????
So that means all my soldering was for nothing..

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by ShawnZ on 08-31-2005 at 05:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
You can unplug them????
So that means all my soldering was for nothing..

O.o
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by segosa on 08-31-2005 at 06:19 AM

You're having trouble with IDE cables?! As mentioned a few times already in this thread it's the POWER cables that are a complete bitch. >.< I spent like 5 minutes getting the one out of my parents' hdd because it just REFUSED to budge and I couldn't get a good grip on it. God damn it was annoying.

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by uberdosis on 08-31-2005 at 08:05 AM

quote:

ya but its not that hard to pull out...not like the power plugs for the HDD...those are really hard to pull out...but the IDE cables are easy to pull out
Ive had some that are just as hard to pull out..
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by [MR] on 08-31-2005 at 11:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
quote:

ya but its not that hard to pull out...not like the power plugs for the HDD...those are really hard to pull out...but the IDE cables are easy to pull out
Ive had some that are just as hard to pull out..
well then ur HDD and IDE cable has problems
RE: Unplugging IDE cables by lizard.boy on 08-31-2005 at 04:04 PM

The ide cables with handles are usually found in oem computers like dell and hp.

RE: Unplugging IDE cables by mhl2008 on 08-31-2005 at 04:36 PM

when ever i help my dad. i always just tugged them, and theyve always come first time ;)

guess this is wrong tho, n i shld stop tugging them :p ?!?!?

x (k) x michelle x (k) x