Shoutbox

Hey network pros i need your helpy - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Hey network pros i need your helpy (/showthread.php?tid=51491)

Hey network pros i need your helpy by paperless on 10-07-2005 at 02:35 PM

I have bought a wireless router and a USB wifi adapter.
On the other comp ( the one with the adapter ) i can access the internet and this computer.

The problem is that this PC can see the other one as well in workgroup but it says access denied..

I tried to turn off firewall on both pcs but no luck.. i need your help

:(

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by YottabyteWizard on 10-07-2005 at 02:47 PM

I had this problem too and nobody could help me, the only thing I could do is have the same user on both computers with the same password logged on, so Windows uses this as 'authentification' and grants access to the network. The user must have administrator privilegies.

Rather than this, no more ideas.

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by Ezra on 10-07-2005 at 03:32 PM

I Suppose you are running XP,

And the computer you are trying to acces has no password?

Try enabling the Guest account.

And/or using the same username and password on the computers.

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by paperless on 10-07-2005 at 03:44 PM

OK, now i did something and i cant get the two to apear on the same workgroup :/

Now its even worse.. damnit lemme tell what i did:

run-> "Netsh winsock reset"

How can i go back as it says reset, what did i change?

I saw that while googling about this prob so i used it.. lol

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by YottabyteWizard on 10-07-2005 at 03:55 PM

:wall: damn netsh

Tried network wizard?

// Starts EDIT section

I found another forum with NETSH using on network problems. There's also a test procedure to check the problems:

netdiag /test:winsock /v

quote:
Originally posted by JohnWill @ Tech Support Guy Forusm
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test. If that fails, do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

Fore more info the URL of this is http://forums.techguy.org/archive/t-401312.html

// End of edit section
RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by mwe99 on 10-07-2005 at 04:14 PM

Okay whats the model of your router?

i've just finished setting up a wireless network so i might be able to help

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by paperless on 10-07-2005 at 05:34 PM

the model of the router doesnt matter in this case, its simply to ocnfigure a lan nothimg more the internet and stuff works well

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by tomfletcherman on 10-07-2005 at 05:55 PM

ok, I think you need to run the network setup wizard, and enable file/printer sharing, and once you have done this, you need to set certain fodlers and drives as shared by right clicking on them -> properties -> sharing. Whether you would like other ocmputers to modify files or not is up to you. I personally have some folders with that enabled so that I can put things in them or take things out rather than just copying.

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by paperless on 10-07-2005 at 10:24 PM

Well.....ill try that.

As long as no one goes into my lan anything is safe isnt it?

My router supports WPA but i couldnt get it to work because i tried it on a rush and maybe did something wrong, so im using WEP.

Is a MAC filter easy to brake? Im using that and only the MAC adresses ive setup work with the router so even if i hadnt WEP it would be safe as long as a MAC filter isnt easy to crack ?

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by Ezra on 10-07-2005 at 10:54 PM

MAC isn't a encryption but an hardware adress, sorta like a IP adress, and has to be unique in the network.

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by paperless on 10-07-2005 at 11:30 PM

i know that! You must hvent read everything

RE: Hey network pros i need your helpy by tomfletcherman on 10-08-2005 at 12:24 PM

MAC addresses can be spoofed, but I don't think anyone would want to target your network. When you run the network setup wizard, it will turn on windwos firewall by default, so it should be relatively secure. I only have a hard wired network so I don't know whether you will have to turn encryption on afterwards again, but as for MAC addresses, you jsut put the ones of the comptuers of your network into your firewall settings and any that have not been entered in, will not work ie, everyone elses in the world.