Shoutbox

Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) (/showthread.php?tid=52643)

Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by TazDevil on 11-05-2005 at 03:03 AM

OK i have built another reloader, that

- hopefully will work around vb plugins correct unloading
- initiate plugin unload by "CTRL+F12" (it is the key below Esc on your keyboard)
- and traditional /xreload command

so now you can check/uncheck plugins from the plugins menu in plus! and have them removed or loaded instantly, without restarting messenger ;)

plz try this and tell me if it works for you...
but i think it is pretty bug free...

I would like to know successes for vb plugin unloading ?

bye for now ;)

[edit]
changed the HOTKEY

[edit 2]
customisable hotkey

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by n0n4m3 on 11-05-2005 at 06:42 AM

Hi,

it seems to work fine here :)

I'd like to ask you if it's possible to just unload a plugin and then load it again manually. I want something like this because I'm writing a plugin in C#/.net but my plugin.dll file is locked and I can't replace it with a newer version (only if I close msn). I checked who's accessing the dll and it's msnmsgr.exe so it doesn't seem like a msgplus problem, either way, it was nice that I knew a way of releasing the dll so I could overwrite it.

Thank you,
Ricardo Sabino.

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by TazDevil on 11-05-2005 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by n0n4m3
Hi,

it seems to work fine here :)

I'd like to ask you if it's possible to just unload a plugin and then load it again manually. I want something like this because I'm writing a plugin in C#/.net but my plugin.dll file is locked and I can't replace it with a newer version (only if I close msn). I checked who's accessing the dll and it's msnmsgr.exe so it doesn't seem like a msgplus problem, either way, it was nice that I knew a way of releasing the dll so I could overwrite it.

Thank you,
Ricardo Sabino.
As it is now it is not possible to do it manually, per plugin i mean because plus! is responsible to do all the cleaning up, especially regarding loaded COM plugins.

So you are saying me that the reloader does not work with c# plugins... (Hmm i thought that C# used the same interface as VB plugins, but apparently its not the case, i just checked)

OK, some things you should consider, is that the plugin is loaded by Plus! in the msnmsgr.exe process, and is being used by Plus!, not msnmsgr as there are still active references to that plugin, so it could not be automatically removed...

By this i mean that, you should release any references of other COM objects in your project so that when it is not still in use it can be unloaded.

Of course i dont know anything about how C# works but the basic theory is the one above.
I have a VB .NET plugin the one made by patchou but i havent been able to load it in plus so i could check :S
RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TazDevil
- initiate plugin unload by "CTRL+`" (it is the key below Esc on your keyboard)
I didn't tested out your plugin, so I don't know what you use, but that key is different in many many types of keyboard layouts! So make sure, if you use that, that it works with the hardware scancode of that button and not with the ascii code of the character!
RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by TazDevil on 11-05-2005 at 01:21 PM

`

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
I didn't tested out your plugin, so I don't know what you use, but that key is different in many many types of keyboard layouts! So make sure, if you use that, that it works with the hardware scancode of that button and not with the ascii code of the character!
Thank you Cookie for the clarification :)

I have tested the reloader with
NickChange Plugin 0.95 coded in C# and it worked like a charm
ColorNick v2 in VB and that worked fine as well
RE: RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by n0n4m3 on 11-05-2005 at 02:15 PM

quote:
`
quote:
quote:

quote:
`
quote:
quote:

I forget to metion that "CTRL+`" doesn't work here (I have the portuguese keyboard set on windows and even when I tried this with the english keyboard set, it didn't work).

The thing with plugin reload in c# is this: it perfectly reloads the plugin BUT since the file is ALWAYS locked you can't replace it with another version, so you are actually reloading the same version of the plugin but when developing you want to be able to test different versions.
RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by TazDevil on 11-05-2005 at 02:38 PM

ok i have changed the hotkey to "CTRL+F12" that shouldnt cause any other locale keyboard problems...

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 03:24 PM

quote:
ok i have changed the hotkey to "CTRL+F12" that shouldnt cause any other locale keyboard problems...
ermmm... it is with me... CTRL+F12 is a system wide shortcut I use as screenshot taker.

Point is: make it customizable to avoid all problems. ;)
RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by TazDevil on 11-05-2005 at 05:33 PM

ok cookie this is for u, enjoy ;)
customisable hotkey

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by Stigmata on 11-05-2005 at 06:15 PM

quote:

ermmm... it is with me... CTRL+F12 is a system wide shortcut I use as screenshot taker.

ummm...

ctrl+prt src

:S ?

RE: RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
quote:

ummm...

ctrl+prt src

:S ?
yes, so? :)     I know that in Windows you can take a global screenshot of your desktop with (ctrl+)printscreen...  ctrl+f12 is the system wide shorcut to take screenshots with the program I use to take screenshots. And many other programs use ctrl+f12 too, btw... ;)
RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by Ezra on 11-05-2005 at 09:20 PM

All plugin reloaders cause msn to crash for me.

And so does this one...

Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0311
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.61.0145

Window Management
Plus! Settings Syncher
Plugin Reloader
StuffPlug-NG
File Transfer Plus
Screenshot Sender 3

RE: RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by n0n4m3 on 11-05-2005 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
All plugin reloaders cause msn to crash for me.

And so does this one...

Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0311
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.61.0145

Window Management
Plus! Settings Syncher
Plugin Reloader
StuffPlug-NG
File Transfer Plus
Screenshot Sender 3

That's because one (or more) of them leaves "things" behind such as references to objects making the reloading process to fail. I think it's File Transfer Plus or Screenshot Sender 3 (didn't test yet which one of them) because I also had them on my list and I was having a crash. Now I only have plugin reloader and StuffPlug-NG and my own I'm developing and the reload works fine.

Note that I don't have any of these you have: Window Management and Plus! Settings Syncher.

To test, just disable all but these Plugin Reloader, StuffPlug-NG (that I assure you that work) and enable one by one so you can figure it out which one of them is causing the crash.

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by Dempsey on 11-05-2005 at 09:44 PM

yea the current version of Screenshot Sender does cause reloaders to crash, it'll be fixed in the next release :)

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by Ezra on 11-05-2005 at 11:22 PM

I did a little testing and found out it was Plus! Settings Syncher and not Screenshot Sender 3, that one worked perfectly.

I already contacted the maker of Plus! Settings Syncher and hope to see it fixed quickly :)

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by n0n4m3 on 11-05-2005 at 11:38 PM

Indeed, Screenshot Sender 3 is not the problem. I enabled all plugins I had before and Reloader Plugin is working 100% without any crashes. The only thing I can think of is that the other plugin reloader  I was using (it was Tb's) had some problem with one of the plugins I'm using.

RE: Yet another plugin reloader (VB, C++, HOTKEY, /xreload) by Ezra on 11-05-2005 at 11:41 PM

Yeah, TB's plugin seems to have a problem on it's own, because before I had Plus! Settings Syncher his version in the Setup of Stuffplug always crashed MSN