Shoutbox

What question would you like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: What question would you like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? (/showthread.php?tid=53672)

What question would you like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by CookieRevised on 12-06-2005 at 09:32 PM

We[*] have been invited to have a short brief chat and drink with some official MSN people[**] regarding MSN Messenger tomorrow (dec 7th).

So what would you like to ask them?

Please keep the questions civilized and a bit interesting though... ;)
(thus not stuff of which the answer can be found by searching the various messenger related forums or something).

[*]
TB, Inky, juzzi, some others and me

[**]
Scott Swanson  => MSN Messenger Platform Planning Team (also know from the Messenger Activity API/SDK and its forum)
Todd Biggs => MSN Product Manager (also know from the Messenger Activity API/SDK and its forum)
Joost Bon => MSN Manager (Holland)

RE: What question would like to ask to the Dutch MSN Team? by Menthix on 12-06-2005 at 09:38 PM

So that's why you're going to Amsterdam, nice!

Ask them to make be a WLM betatester, still haven't received any mail :( lol.

No real good questions come to mind tright now, but interesting, get a full report when you're back :).

EDIT: Hmm, now that i mentioned beta testing. There used to be a seperate Dutch MSN Messenger betatesting site (MSN Group actually) in the 6.2 period. That one seems to have dissapeard, will it come back for WLM tests?

RE: What question would like to ask to the Dutch MSN Team? by M73A on 12-06-2005 at 09:50 PM

how about:

Why have they decided to change the name of a well known brand to something that sounds rubbish?

RE: What question would like to ask to the Dutch MSN Team? by Jhrono on 12-06-2005 at 09:50 PM

tell them to restrict the beta testing invites so leaked betas wouldn't go out to the public so easily..

RE: What question would like to ask to the Dutch MSN Team? by Yousef on 12-06-2005 at 09:52 PM

Actually it's not the Dutch MSN Messenger team I think cookie. Scott Swanson & Todd Biggs will be there tomorrow, together with Joost Bon, who appears to be a manager of MSN Holland (not Messenger).
Anyway, I look forward to tomorrow!

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team? by Plik on 12-06-2005 at 10:12 PM

Ask them if the API is going to get a decent update in WLM :cheesy:

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team? by Max on 12-06-2005 at 10:25 PM

How much money do they get to put into development for the product?

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team? by L. Coyote on 12-06-2005 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
IMO, this is a very good and important question/request. I second it. And make sure they don't talk about the games and content stuff... :tongue: (useless, IMO)
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team? by Ezra on 12-06-2005 at 10:47 PM

[offtopic]How about a mini-meeting in amsterdam while you are there[/offtopic]

Ask them to make a Light version without all the bloated stuff.

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by RaceProUK on 12-06-2005 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
More specifically, API access to the personal message, setting the display name, hiding DPs, stuff like that. Maybe even an advanced API that exposes the protocol (read-only of course)?
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by vincerooney on 12-06-2005 at 11:37 PM

Ask them...stupid obvious question when we'll see a public beta and then a full release

they've always given vague answers before

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by guanako on 12-07-2005 at 12:33 AM

ask them if the Messenger web page is gonna have a new look with WLM. when beta? when public?

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by [MR] on 12-07-2005 at 01:27 AM

ask them if WLM will only be compatible with windows xp and vista.

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Lou on 12-07-2005 at 01:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
ask them if WLM will only be compatible with windows xp and vista.
the odds are that if 7.5 was, this one will be too.:P

Ask them if people decide to stick with the old msn messenger, if they will change the name back.
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by kittymew on 12-07-2005 at 02:05 AM

Ask them how they see Messenger Plus!'s future with Live Messenger and what they would like to see.:)

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by albert on 12-07-2005 at 02:41 AM

Hum, my question would be why not making it possible to write you're Personal message before logging in, seeing as it's stored on you're computer..

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by RebelSean on 12-07-2005 at 03:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
Merry Christmas

Micrsoft has dropped support for all 9x systems, thus most likely it will be XP only.

Congratulations on being invited guys, well done.

Anyhow, I have one question I'd like to see asked. When will we see this new Yahoo & MSN Messenger merge take place? Like to say, when will we see the client that supports both IM?
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by MeEtc on 12-07-2005 at 03:57 AM

adding to sean's question, will YM users be able to send to MSN contacts?

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by lordy on 12-07-2005 at 07:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Anyhow, I have one question I'd like to see asked. When will we see this new Yahoo & MSN Messenger merge take place? Like to say, when will we see the client that supports both IM?
hasnt it been said sometime around mid 2006?

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
adding to sean's question, will YM users be able to send to MSN contacts?
Thats the point of the merger ;)
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by user27089 on 12-07-2005 at 08:07 AM

I would like to ask why they can't come up with their own features when it comes to MSN Messenger. Why do they have to keep "stealing" features from other people's programs.

I say "stealing" because whenever I just say it normally, I get told off, that it isn't stealing, because the whole of the code has been rewrote... In my eyes, it's still stealing though.

RE: RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Discrate on 12-07-2005 at 09:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I would like to ask why they can't come up with their own features when it comes to MSN Messenger. Why do they have to keep "stealing" features from other people's programs.

I say "stealing" because whenever I just say it normally, I get told off, that it isn't stealing, because the whole of the code has been rewrote... In my eyes, it's still stealing though.

Yer i agree they do steal people ideas. But not all msn has there own ideas team that come up with new features. Also people write to msn suggesting ideas, i sometimes do that.

My Question:
How much money does microsoft turn over from Msn messenger a year.

ask them that it would be interesting to know.
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Menthix on 12-07-2005 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vincerooney
when we'll see a public beta and then a full release

they've always given vague answers before
Because they are not allowed to anwser that. They might tell the people at the meeting, but if they do it will most likely be under a NDA.
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by absorbation on 12-07-2005 at 05:02 PM

PLEESE ASK ABOUT SKINNING AND THEIR FURTURE FOR IT E.G I THEIR MAKING A SYSTEM AND WHY HAVE THEY HAD IT IMPOSSIBLE TO ATM thanks :)

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Max on 12-07-2005 at 08:15 PM

I was [apparently] just speaking to Scott Swanson over TB's mobile MSN Messenger account - they're in a pub by all accounts and Absorbation made him go offline by forcing me to ask him a question for the Skinners. :(

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by absorbation on 12-07-2005 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches
I was [apparently] just speaking to Scott Swanson over TB's mobile MSN Messenger account - they're in a pub by all accounts and Absorbation made him go offline by forcing me to ask him a question for the Skinners. :(

I didnt force him and it was an important question as well as asking about the api. Everyone is asking if they can become a tester when i'm trying to find out requeted information :P
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Max on 12-07-2005 at 08:23 PM

Look, you ruined my life okay Absorbation. Now here is a Oxford English Dictionary, go learn how to spell think okay? :refuck:

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Yousef on 12-07-2005 at 10:45 PM

I'm back now! I had a lovely evening and I'll tell you more about it asap :)

Edit: posted some info here. (You can copy it to this forum if you want).

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by RaceProUK on 12-07-2005 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzi
I'm back now! I had a lovely evening and I'll tell you more about it asap :)
info now plz kthx
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by CookieRevised on 12-08-2005 at 12:17 AM

I'll post some answers to the questions later (mainly because it is already 1am, secondly because I need to decrypt the handwriting of Joost :p, third, because I want to ask some other things eg: more clarifications on some things which has been said)

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Lou on 12-08-2005 at 12:27 AM

quote:
(You can copy it to this forum if you want).
quote:

This evening I went to Amsterdam to meet a few famous people from the MSN Messenger community, and some official people from the MSN Messenger team.

Who where there?
Microsoft Redmond (USA):
Scott Swanson: Group Product Planner for the MSN Messenger Platform. He admitted his title doesn't say anything, and explained he manages all stuff regarding to API's et cetera. He seems to be the one who's in charge of the World's Best App contest and the Messenger API forum.
Todd Biggs: MSN Product Manager, nice guy who's on the same team as Scott ;)

Microsoft Holland:
Joost Bon: Manager of the Microsoft Network in the Netherlands if I got it right.
The goodies guy (I forgot his name :$): He tests all Dutch MSN products before they're released. He's in charge of the Dutch MSN/WLM beta's, and therefor he's called the goodies guy :p.

Then there were two people of a Dutch company Oberon Medialab, they made the 'Nieuwskraker' bot for the Dutch newspaper 'Volkskrant'.

Messenger Community
Juzzi That's me ;)
The Blasphemer creator of the popular Stuffplug plugin for Messenger Plus!
CookieRevised very active member of the Messenger Plus! community (and the Dutch Msgplus translator).
Inky Creator of BOT2K3
ZoRoNaX Introduced himself as a "Protocol hacker"
Speedy Kevin Creator of Speedy Messenger
Unfortunately Timothy (mess.be) wasn't able to come to Amsterdam.

How did it go?
I met TB & Kevin 5 minutes after my arrival at the Amsterdam railroad station. Because Inky didn't pick up his phone it took a little while untill we found him joined by ZoRoNaX. Cookie told us he'd come later. After our visit to the burger king we were heading for the cafe we'd meet the Microsoft people. It took a while until we found it (even though it was near the station), but this wasn't a problem, since the MSN people were running late as well. Cookie arrived shortly after us.

When Scott, Todd, and Joost arrived the interesting & fun stuff started. At start we all received our own 128 MB MSN Messenger USB stick :P. After everyone introduced himself and we ordered our drinks we started talking about... MSN/Windows Live Messenger! We discussed all the projects we're doing, and of course everything they're working on. We discussed Windows Live, Messenger, the World's Best App contest, and a lot more!

What did we get to know?
Here's a list some interesting, sometimes obvious things they told us about:
  • The Windows Live Messenger public beta will start at the beginning of 2006
  • Microsoft hopes to release Windows Live Messenger in Spring 2006
  • Joost Bon visits Msgweb.nl on a regular basis ;)
  • Windows Live will be all about combining different Microsoft products. For example Windows Live Messenger, Live Mail, Spaces, and an Orkut/friendster like product will all combine contact information.
  • All six of us will get an invite for the Windows Live Messenger beta, and we'll be able to invite 5-10 others.
  • To be continued..

All by all, I had a lovely evening. I'd like to stress that I think Microsoft is doing a really great job with it's 'new strategy' to pay more attention to us, the community, and especially to developers. Scott's team has been set up for this only a year ago. Most of the new Microsoft products seem to fit in this 'new strategy', especially the Windows Live products (Microsoft Gadgets, MSN Search API, Virtual Earth API, etc).

I'll update this article ASAP, but I'm going to catch some sleep now :)

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by qgroessl on 12-08-2005 at 12:32 AM

:p I noticed that you guys will get to invite 5-10 others ;).... *cough cough*.... :refuck:.... please.... haha.... okay... well... If none of you want to when you guys get to invite people that's okay... cause i'm fine waiting too... But that's some pretty cool stuff with the meeting and all! Can't wait for more info.

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by CookieRevised on 12-08-2005 at 12:45 AM

As you can read on Juzzi's report of meeting, we met a couple of important people in the Messenger community.

The meeting was fantastique and also very unique (one of a kind meeting) as Joost told us later. (sic: though let's hope more will follow :p). It was held in the "In De Wildeman" in Amsterdam. A nice causey little pub specialized in hundreds of different beers from all over the world. (sic: They couldn't have found a better place IMO!! I'll sure return to that pub when I'm in A'dam again)

The MSN people came a little later as intended. Nevertheless, the meeting went on well after what was announced in the invitation we got. (y)

After half an hour Joost got a phone call (or something, or he SMS'd, dunno anymore) from another dude and he would come over also. In short, and after a while there were 6 MSN people instead of the announced 3 :D:D

Because it was in a pub and because we were with many people we all chatted away (what else do you do in a pub, except drinking :P). Unfortunatly, because of this it was very hard to follow every (very interesting!) conversation. Nevertheless, I bet many people would give their right hand for knowing some stuff (just teasing ;)).

Before I went to the meeting I had put all the questions (well almost) asked here in this thread and in the thread on mess.be on paper.

Joost seemed to be very anxious to start answering them. He actually asked a pen and started to write down the answers (to the questions he could answer that is). It almost seemed like an examination, lol. Most questions were discussed, etc...

Anyways, unfortunatly I had to leave at 21u10 because the last train to Belgium departed at 21u23. I sure wanted to stay though. So, the group photo was taken (best one will be the one taken by Inky, so stay tuned), shaked hands and said goodbye (until online).

Juzzi also left at that point to catch his train. We had to run to the station because we were really short in time. And damn, my condition is worse then I thought :p Arrived at the station (and more dead than alive, at least I was, Juzzi had no trouble at all :p), we looked at the departure monitor. His train arrived at platform 1 or something, just only 10m away. Of course, mine... platform 14... DOH! So there I found myself running again (I better stayed at the pub :p)

Anyways, that was my short, but extremely interesting meeting with the MSN people...

PS: Joost loves to annoy his contacts with the nudge feature :p (shhhht.... I didn't say this ;))

EDIT: oh, one last thing which was very clear: They are always seeking new, fresh ideas and programmers/developpers. So if you're up to it, get in contact!

------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
I noticed that you guys will get to invite 5-10 others
or maybe 10-20 as I already am on the closed beta tester team (and haven't used my invites yet) :p
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by TheBlasphemer on 12-08-2005 at 01:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
So, the group photo was taken (best one will be the one taken by Inky, so stay tuned), shaked hands and said goodbye (until online), and that was my short, but extremely interesting meeting with the MSN people...

This is the one from Inky, judge for yourselves ;)
[Image: msgramsterdam.jpg]

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Lou on 12-08-2005 at 01:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
quote:
So, the group photo was taken (best one will be the one taken by Inky, so stay tuned), shaked hands and said goodbye (until online), and that was my short, but extremely interesting meeting with the MSN people...

This is the one from Inky, judge for yourselves ;)
http://files.stuffplug.com/msgramsterdam.jpg
can you please put arrows and show who is who?:)

quote:
PS: Joost loves to annoy his contacts with the nudge feature (shhhht.... I didn't say this
must be why it exists:P
quote:
or maybe 10-20 as I already am on the closed beta tester team (and haven't used my invites yet)
be sure to think of me:P lol dont worry Im already gonna get my invite..lol dont waste it on me:P

I hope you all had a great time:) if only I where old enough and in the same country*-)
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by dotNorma on 12-08-2005 at 01:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs

can you please put arrows and show who is who?

Second on the far left is TheBlasphemer, and on the far right standing up, I do beleive that is CookieRevised. (Hat or something on head)
RE: RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by CookieRevised on 12-08-2005 at 02:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
can you please put arrows and show who is who?:)
I hope I've got every name right, except for the three guys which I didn't remember the name from :$ (someone fill me in, I'll update the picture)

final update: all names are present now ;)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=575027]
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by cardshark on 12-08-2005 at 04:00 AM

Sounds like things are going really well with the Beta and WLM. I'm glad they are open to new ideas and all from people not on the development team. It would definitely be fun to try out the Beta, and those who get invites better give plenty of details as to what's going on. :D

And, yes, I hope this isn't the only meeting of its kind. We (the general user population) could definitely use this sort of thing to get our ideas and questions to the Messenger team more effectively. (y)

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by qgroessl on 12-08-2005 at 04:06 AM

Aww Juzzi's cut out :p haha... Kinda.... well, there's a tiny part of him in it.

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by RebelSean on 12-08-2005 at 04:50 AM

Sounds good guys, thanks for the information!

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Yousef on 12-08-2005 at 06:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Aww Juzzi's cut out haha... Kinda.... well, there's a tiny part of him in it.
Cookie and I were in an extreme rush, we had to be @ the station in like 7 minutes, I suppose I should've paid more attention to the camera :p. I might be on another picture though.

Until what time did everyone else stay actually?

I'm off to school now..
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by user27089 on 12-08-2005 at 07:44 AM

Seems like you had a really good time :banana:...

You could always offer me an invite 8-) jk. But you can if you want :p.

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by ipab on 12-08-2005 at 09:06 AM

cookie, when will you be posting the info on the ansers to the questions?

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by CookieRevised on 12-08-2005 at 11:34 AM

When I get hold of them again on MSN, so I can verify some answers and ask for more clarifications on some.

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by albert on 12-08-2005 at 03:32 PM

I'm actully very impressed to see MSN takes so much importance from their users ( well.. a little more than users for CR, TB and Juzzi seeing as they program, help and have huge websites.. but you guys get what I mean.. )

I think this a really good thing, I'm glad you guys had a great time :)

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by TheBlasphemer on 12-08-2005 at 04:38 PM

First guy on the left from "Oberon Media labs" is Hans-Peter :)

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by speedy_kevin on 12-08-2005 at 09:42 PM

The goodies guy is Maarten van der Most

We sure had a great time, very intresting conversations.

About 30 minutes after Cookie and Juzzi left we went to a nice dutch restaurant called Dorrius.
ZoRoNaX and I had a small dessert and took off (around 22:50) to the train station.
I arrived home around 00:30

RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Lou on 12-08-2005 at 11:03 PM

quote:
I hope I've got every name right, except for the two guys which I didn't remember the name from :$ (someone fill me in, I'll update the picture)

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=575027

Thats awesome. now I know who is who:P.

I really hope you cna get us some wonderful information:)
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by Menthix on 12-09-2005 at 09:08 PM

quote:
final update: all names are present now
So that guy is really called "???" ?:p
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by CookieRevised on 12-10-2005 at 02:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
final update: all names are present now
So that guy is really called "???" ?:p
What guy do you mean? You might wanna refresh your cache though ;) ;)
RE: What question would like to ask to the MSN Team concearning Messenger? by siebe on 12-10-2005 at 08:14 PM

Here is the one made by Hans :)