Shoutbox

slow PC - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: slow PC (/showthread.php?tid=54292)

slow PC by DJKAL on 12-27-2005 at 07:42 PM

my computer is fairly new, and has more memory than i'll eer need {340GB in total over 2 hard drive - second {40gb} is for music and so nothing to do with the runnong of my pc - and my 300gb hard drive i have only used 13 gb!}

i am running XP home edition
serivce pack to - up to date
i have norton installed along with norton go back {which i know slows down a pc but not this much as it has just started!}

my pc used to run fine, even when running programs like norton, nero, P2P etc etc...

but now when i  run, windows media player, WLM BETA
my pc will freeze up and runes VERRRRYYY SLOOOWWWW

it even causes my media player to "skip" when playing songs
my internet browser {firefox or IE} runs slow when i am loading a page
but all of this never used to happen :S

hope you know what is wrong...and il post a screenshot of my taskmanager proces list if needed.

cheers!

RE: slow PC by Jhrono on 12-27-2005 at 07:50 PM

Ok, RAM and the processor matter more in this aspect then the HD's...But since it's fairly new, i guess it has a minimum of 512 Mb of ram and a processor >= 2Ghz..
Try making spyware scans and virus scans... Plus uninstall all the useless stuff you have..

Oh and, the wlm beta is quite laggy.. it eats lots of ram .. (at least for me..) try no to use betas, but stable reliable programs..

RE: slow PC by tony on 12-27-2005 at 07:50 PM

do a Spyware/Adware scan :)

and check the program that loads on start up

RE: slow PC by DJKAL on 12-27-2005 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
my computer is fairly new, and has more memory than i'll eer need {340GB in total over 2 hard drive - second {40gb} is for music and so nothing to do with the runnong of my pc - and my 300gb hard drive i have only used 13 gb!}

i am running XP home edition
serivce pack to - up to date
i have norton installed along with norton go back {which i know slows down a pc but not this much as it has just started!}

my pc used to run fine, even when running programs like norton, nero, P2P etc etc...

but now when i  run, windows media player, WLM BETA
my pc will freeze up and runes VERRRRYYY SLOOOWWWW

it even causes my media player to "skip" when playing songs
my internet browser {firefox or IE} runs slow when i am loading a page
but all of this never used to happen :S
and loading aplications takes ages
annnd switching aps. takes a long time - like re-opening my media player to skip tracks and then going back to my WLM convo

hope you know what is wrong...and il post a screenshot of my taskmanager proces list if needed.

cheers!

EDIT: some times it runs fine {like now and for the last 5 mins} but in 10 mins it will slow down again and screw up and i dont know why :S

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Plus uninstall all the useless stuff you have..

i have...always uninstall the crap

quote:
Originally posted by shrbr
do a Spyware/Adware scan

none ...and none
quote:

and check the program that loads on start up

how do you mean?

quote:
you may want to try this http://www.magictweak.com/magicut.htm Smilie

downloaded...installed, but how do i know which i can remove form staart up or which process i should kill?

shuold i run NORTON GHOST or NORTON GO BACK {not sure what ghost does :$} before changing anything?
RE: slow PC by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 08:05 PM

quote:

how do you mean?

type 'msconfig' in the run dialog, select startup and look at the stuff that loads on startup, sometimes it can be full of crap that slows your computer from the moment it turns on
RE: slow PC by tony on 12-27-2005 at 08:08 PM

look at this picture, Magic Utilities manages the programs that loads at windows start up

[Image: dibujo6qj.jpg]

they maybe a program (spy, or adware) loading with your windows, you can stop it from load :)

RE: slow PC by DJKAL on 12-27-2005 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
type 'msconfig' in the run dialog, select startup and look at the stuff that loads on startup, sometimes it can be full of crap that slows your computer from the moment it turns on

how do i know if they shouldnt or dont need to start up?
RE: slow PC by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 08:14 PM

quote:
quote:

how do i know if they shouldnt or dont need to start up?

you just have to look at the processes and think about your system and do you really need them to start up and be on throught the time your computer is on, you might also want to google the names, this might tell you some stuff and give you an idea if you can terminate it and carry on running
RE: slow PC by tony on 12-27-2005 at 08:18 PM

normally you just need the Antivirus to get loaded, that's what i do just the antivirus to make the startup faster :)

RE: slow PC by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 08:20 PM

BEWARE!! that sometimes doesnt work! with my older system my computer became dependant upon a few programs upon strtup and when i rebooted doing that it messed up the disk, and all of the data on it, id recommend keeping the very base ones running just to make sure ;)

RE: slow PC by tony on 12-27-2005 at 08:25 PM

you may want to try this http://www.magictweak.com/magicut.htm :)

RE: slow PC by DJKAL on 12-27-2005 at 08:27 PM

i considered formatting it to eliminate and un-necassary files on startup
but thats much to much hassle really and i CBA!
i usually stop things starting up with my PC

BUT!!!
[align=left]the problem isnt when starting up
it seems to be later
RE: slow PC by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 08:35 PM

quote:
i considered formatting it to eliminate and un-necassary files on startup
but thats much to much hassle really and i CBA!
i usually stop things starting up with my PC

BUT!!!
[align=left]the problem isnt when starting up
it seems to be later

:o have you checked your system heating/cooling?? it might be some form of overheating....
RE: slow PC by DJKAL on 12-27-2005 at 08:39 PM

quote:

Smilie have you checked your system heating/cooling?? it might be some form of overheating....

dont think it is i have 2 8 cm fans in the case and a SILENT PURE POWER psu fan, {which is FAR from silent :<}

but just in case...how do i do it?
RE: slow PC by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 08:41 PM

quote:
quote:

Smilie have you checked your system heating/cooling?? it might be some form of overheating....

dont think it is i have 2 8 cm fans in the case and a SILENT PURE POWER psu fan, {which is FAR from silent :<}

ah.... lol, hmm..... i'll have to look into that one.... ill do a bit of research and post something tomorrow if i find something
RE: slow PC by Reaper on 12-27-2005 at 11:17 PM

overheating wouldnt really cuase the pc to run slow. it would make the pc swithc off/restart in most cases
open the task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL) and see what processes take up the most CPU Usage and the Most Memory and post them on here
or even better take a screenie of your current processes

RE: slow PC by DJKAL on 12-28-2005 at 12:17 AM

ok..
here they are ...:)
[Image: taslamager2.bmp]

and....

[Image: taskmanager.bmp]

RE: slow PC by Chris4 on 12-28-2005 at 05:06 AM

As you can see, Windows Live Messenger is taking up alot of your RAM. Try closing it and see if it runs any faster. It should do.

Also, how much RAM do you have? Right click My Computer > Properties and it should say 'X MB amount of RAM'

RE: slow PC by Ghadban88 on 12-28-2005 at 08:52 AM

Hi.

How about downloading TuneUp Utilities trial version. it helps to really get rid of junk and change a few settings and did speed up my computer.

http://www.tune-up.com/download/tu2006/

:);)

RE: slow PC by DJKAL on 12-28-2005 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
Also, how much RAM do you have?

512MB
RE: slow PC by Mike on 12-28-2005 at 09:53 AM

Might be a stupid question, but, do you have WindowBlinds5 installed on that computer?

RE: slow PC by Ghadban88 on 12-28-2005 at 10:11 AM

A more stupid question is, what is WindowBlinds5?

RE: slow PC by Lt.Col.DraGon on 12-28-2005 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ghadban88
what is WindowBlinds?

It's a program that can be used to put new themes to your desktop ... for example, you download Windows Vista theme and with WindowsBlinds, you can apply that theme to your computer. If you don't have that program, you can't apply the theme..

WindowsBlinds eats ur memory too... that's probably why he asked if you had WIndows Blinds installed.

SOmeone can explain this better than me :$
RE: slow PC by user27089 on 12-28-2005 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ghadban88
A more stupid question is, what is WindowBlinds5?

It is a program that you can use to change the themes you have on your Windows Computer.

Such as this:

[Image: wboct055qd.th.jpg]
RE: slow PC by Chris4 on 12-28-2005 at 02:06 PM

I'm sure he would of noticed if he started using WindowsBlinds5 and then suddenly went slow.

I think it's down to WLM.

RE: slow PC by DJKAL on 12-28-2005 at 03:22 PM

as far as i know i dont have windows blinds :S

i know WLM is sloooowww because emoticons dont load well when sending:O:S
and popening the emoticon has crashed it many times :<
but WLM is always running yet my PC isnt always slow...just most of the time, usually after a bit of running time

RE: slow PC by TylerG on 12-29-2005 at 05:33 AM

Sounds like you have a virus/viruses.  You have tons of processes running.  You need to control+alt+delete off the wahzoo.  If the scans are taking forever boot into safemode and then run the virus software.  That is all I can really think of.

RE: slow PC by CookieRevised on 12-29-2005 at 09:21 AM

To find the culprint (instead of doing all sort of measerements without knowing what the real cause it), as soon as your PC starts to run slowly take note of all the programs which are currently visible on your taskbar....

Second, press CTRL-ALT-DEL to go to the task manager and open the processes tab (this might take a while, but wait for it!).

Then look at what process is taking all the CPU time (it would be the one with the highest number in that CPU column, appart from "System Idle processes"). You can sort the column by clicking on the header instead of scrolling thru the list. If possible, also take a screenshot...

After that, close the process in question by right clicking on it and choosing "Kill process tree".

And tell us what process it was and post the screenshot you've saved.

PS1: when saving the screenshot, save it as a GIF? JPG or PNG, not as a BMP!

PS2: But indeed, you have a hell of a lot processes, which, I bet, you don't need half of them...

PS3: I see you're running Windows Media Player all the time? If it got corrupted it sometimes freezes up your whole computer, just like you described.