Shoutbox

Need HELP (installation requirements) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Need HELP (installation requirements) (/showthread.php?tid=55209)

Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 01-24-2006 at 05:43 AM

I try to install messenger plus, but I get the messenge sorry but you must have msn?windows messenger 4.6 (minimum) installed on your system in order to install messenger plus.
I am running messenger 7,5 so what is happening
I tried to reinstall msn messenger but I still keep getting the same warning.
Can anyone help me?

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by RaceProUK on 01-24-2006 at 01:29 PM

Did you at any time uninstall Windows Messenger? If so, reinstall it: it's necessary on XP machines to enable MSN Messenger to work correctly.

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Kryptonate on 01-24-2006 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Did you at any time uninstall Windows Messenger? If so, reinstall it: it's necessary on XP machines to enable MSN Messenger to work correctly.
Windows Messenger is only required on XP if you want to use some of the features of MSN Messenger like remote desktop. You don't need it if you just want to chat.
RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 01-24-2006 at 02:53 PM

No Windows messenger is still on my computer

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Kryptonate on 01-24-2006 at 02:59 PM

Have you got something installed for MSN Messenger? A patch or addon or so to add extra features to MSN Messenger?

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 01-24-2006 at 03:12 PM

No just windows messenger is standaard on my pc and MSN messenger 7.5. No add ons or patch I think

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by RaceProUK on 01-25-2006 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
Windows Messenger is only required on XP if you want to use some of the features of MSN Messenger like remote desktop.
And the API, which Plus! needs.
RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 01-25-2006 at 03:32 PM

Where can I find the application Programming Interface??
I don't know where to look, Help me please

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Kryptonate on 01-25-2006 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ineke
Where can I find the application Programming Interface??
I don't know where to look, Help me please
It's in MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger. If you have these programs there's nothing to worry about.

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by mfragola on 01-26-2006 at 07:26 PM

try downloading windows messenger 5.1 directly from microsoft download center...
it's way better than the old 4.7 but lacks the "msn messenger features", like hotmail notification and all that you could download as a  "windows messenger addon".
hope this helps you

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by RaceProUK on 01-28-2006 at 02:00 PM

Why are you talking about Hotmail Notification as an 'addon'? It's an integrated part of both WIndows Messenger and MSN Messenger, no matter which version.

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Tochjo on 01-28-2006 at 03:31 PM

He is most likely referring to the MSN Add-In for Windows Messenger.

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Negro_Joe on 01-28-2006 at 11:32 PM

I dont have windows messenger, i uninstalled it ages ago, and my MSN works fine...:)

RE: RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by CookieRevised on 01-29-2006 at 01:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
I dont have windows messenger, i uninstalled it ages ago, and my MSN works fine...:)

If you don't have Windows Messenger (in XP) then your MSN Messenger will NOT work fine for all features. MSN Messenger simply needs Windows Messenger for some of it features. Don't state that it works fine, if you're not using all the features because some will not work fine if you have uninstalled Windows Messenger...

see CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger

------------

Besides, all this API talk and Windows Messenger talk has most likely absolutely nothing to do with the problem.

------------
quote:
I try to install messenger plus, but I get the messenge sorry but you must have msn?windows messenger 4.6 (minimum) installed on your system in order to install messenger plus.
I am running messenger 7,5 so what is happening
I tried to reinstall msn messenger but I still keep getting the same warning.
Can anyone help me?

Can you state the exact and complete version of:
1) Windows Messenger (in the form of x.x.xxx*)
2) MSN Messenger (in the form of 7.5.xxx*)
3) Messenger Plus! (in the form of x.xx.xxx*)
4) Your Windows version (including which service pack and which language)

5) Are you an administrator when you log in to Windows?

* the x's stand for numbers, the complete version numbers of software can often be found by going to the about box. For Messenger you'll find this in the menu Tools > About.
RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 01-30-2006 at 07:12 AM

I installed windows messenger 5.1 but it didn't do the trick.
When I try to install messenger plus, it still says that I need at least windows messenger 4.7
I don't understand what is going on

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by RaceProUK on 01-30-2006 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Can you state the exact and complete version of:
1) Windows Messenger (in the form of x.x.xxx*)
2) MSN Messenger (in the form of 7.5.xxx*)
3) Messenger Plus! (in the form of x.xx.xxx*)
4) Your Windows version (including which service pack and which language)

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 02-01-2006 at 12:26 PM

Windows Messenger 4.7 and 5.1
Msn Messenger 7.5 build 7.5.03.11
Messenger plus 362.exe
Windows XP + servicepack 1 language Dutch

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by RaceProUK on 02-01-2006 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Windows Messenger 4.7 and 5.1
How did you get both versions installed?
RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 02-01-2006 at 04:48 PM

Windows messenger 4.7 came standerd with my windows XP home edition. and 5.1  I downloaded from the microsoft page on the internet, because some gave me that advise (above)

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by RaceProUK on 02-01-2006 at 07:11 PM

So which version is installed?

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by Ineke on 02-01-2006 at 08:43 PM

Installed is windows messenger 4.7 and msn messenger 7.5

RE: Need HELP (installation requirements) by CookieRevised on 02-02-2006 at 01:00 PM

1) Remove Windows Messenger 5.x if it was installed (double check the "add/remove programs" configuration panel of Windows ("Software" In Dutch)). You don't need Windows Messenger 5.x if you don't use it for specific reasons.

2) Install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Home!!!

- You could first try to update Windows to Service Pack 2 by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If that doesn't work, you can download Serive Pack 2 here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?d...-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

Note that the Service Pack is big (+250MB) and it will take a while to totally update your computer. But updating to Service Pack 2 is absolutely mandatory.

If you are not very good with computers, let someone do this for you. You also need administrative privilegdes to install it.

3) After the Service Pack is installed, reboot and visit Windows Update again and make sure you have all bugfixes and updates: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. If not, keep on updating further and repeat step 3 until nothing comes up again.

4) Download and install the latest MSN Messenger by going to: http://messenger.msn.com/.