Shoutbox

Copy right - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Copy right (/showthread.php?tid=57865)

Copy right by Discrate on 04-05-2006 at 10:16 AM

On websites i see they have 'copy right' down the bottom. My question is do you need to register a copy right or can you just put copy right down the bottom and if anyone uses your work you can sue them? if you do need to register a copy right where do you need to go?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Copy right by lordy on 04-05-2006 at 10:30 AM

in australia, no, you just have to put:

Copyright <year> <your name>

and it's yours

RE: Copy right by Chestah on 04-05-2006 at 10:31 AM

Copyright is an automatic protection and you do not need to register for it. Although, other things such as patents etc you do need to register for :).

So i don't even think you need to put "copyright" on your pages? They should be automatically protected under copyright law.

RE: Copy right by Discrate on 04-05-2006 at 10:32 AM

wow thats good, is it the same with a trademark?

RE: Copy right by Eddie on 04-05-2006 at 10:34 AM

I was also going to ask this question for a couple of my websites, ive seen stuff taken under my copyright :( i didnt know if i could do anything about it :(

RE: Copy right by Menthix on 04-05-2006 at 10:52 AM

Also see:
Wikipedia on copyright
Wikipedia on trademarks

Trademarks can be obtained in two different ways... by use or by registration. A registered trademark however give you more rights. But afaik trademarks can only be used by companies. But read the Wikipedia article for full info.

RE: Copy right by Pyroteq on 04-05-2006 at 10:59 AM

Trademarks generally have to be registered.
Ideas can be marked with 'patent pending' a patent is a kind of copyright on your idea or product.