Shoutbox

Upcoming changes to the forums? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Upcoming changes to the forums? (/showthread.php?tid=59141)

Upcoming changes to the forums? by absorbation on 05-07-2006 at 11:35 AM

Well, I have found recently, these forums and becoming neglected on its progress. And with Messenger Plus! Live on its way, it will need updating. So, what are you admins planning for these forums. I know I have my own improvments :)

• Upgrade MyBB version (it is much safter and because of the new mod system, it should make no difference when updates are out)
  • New design (Messenger Plus! Live is no longer blue, however, I think it can stay, logo needs changing mind you)
  • Sticky threads need serious cleaning. I mean we cant have threads about modifing plugins, when they no longer exsit. Also the sposnor thread needs updating etc.

What improvements do you guys think are needed? :P
What do you admins think?

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by Discrate on 05-07-2006 at 11:38 AM

Yer those 3 ideas are good, also maybe change the style of the forum to match the new plus live style?

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by user27089 on 05-07-2006 at 11:39 AM

The forum upgrade has been discussed many times, and I think WDZ is testing it on and off in another place, and trying to move stuff over. But he has coded this forum a lot, and it's probably very personal to him to be honest :p.. As he's put a lot into it (his own spare time)

I'm sure the new design will be done once Messenger Plus! Live is actually out.

Same as above about the threads, chances are it will stay open for a while, as Messenger Plus! still has a version for 7.5, and chances are people will be using that for months after MP!L has been released.

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by absorbation on 05-07-2006 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
using that for months after MP!L has been released.

I think as soon as MSN Messenger says an new version is advaliable, people wont be after Messenger Plus! 3.6. Still some sticky threads are really old now, and some contain old information, they need updating etc. :P If not deleting

RE: RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by Discrate on 05-07-2006 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
using that for months after MP!L has been released.

I think as soon as MSN Messenger says an new version is advaliable, people wont be after Messenger Plus! 3.6. Still some sticky threads are really old now, and some contain old information, they need updating etc. :P If not deleting

Well still, i am not going to upgrade to plus live or WLM for a long time. And i bet heaps of other people will do the same. But still i think some sticky's and the style should be changed.
RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by lordy on 05-07-2006 at 11:47 AM

I'd assume the forum would be redesigned to match the design of the new site... and we don't know what that will be yet :P

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by Nathan on 05-07-2006 at 11:49 AM

No but some of the old  ones need to be kept because what about those people who have 98 and cant get windows live? Then they might still need help on the old msg plus.
So i say only keep the ones thatare important!

RE: RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by Discrate on 05-07-2006 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
No but some of the old  ones need to be kept because what about those people who have 98 and cant get windows live? Then they might still need help on the old msg plus.
So i say only keep the ones thatare important!

Microsoft are telling people who have windows 98 and M E to upgrade to Xp, also they said they are cutting all online help and other services for windows 98 and M E because they are out dated.
RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by absorbation on 05-07-2006 at 11:58 AM

lol I am not talking about this moment. But from what we can expect, Windows Live Messenger will be out in the next couple of weeks, and Messenger Plus! Live soon after.

So admins need to think what they are going to do. And alot of the changes are simple enough. However, the MyBB upgrade is a major issue. But if you upgrading alot of things you may as well upgrade the board, mainly for sercuity and bug fixes pruposes. Viewing these forums in IE can mess up alot of the time. :)

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by aNILEator on 05-07-2006 at 12:13 PM

well i was hoping that a new forum will be created on msgpluslive.net so msghelplive.net or something

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by absorbation on 05-07-2006 at 12:18 PM

I think mods and admins have a great professional approach to handling threads. But it seems the forum code is being negelected. It is not just WDZ, although he is the main coder. (He probaly is working on a secret version, but I would like some more news on it) :P

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by Discrate on 05-07-2006 at 12:20 PM

Yer the last update he gave us was about 4 months ago :P

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by surfichris on 05-07-2006 at 01:31 PM

And the problem here is?

The forum is working properly at the moment and there are no problems.

We know what we're going to do and we'll get it done. There is no need to have all of these posts regarding this.

RE: Upcoming changes to the forums? by WDZ on 05-08-2006 at 04:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
But it seems the forum code is being neglected.
No it's not... just the other day I fixed a bug with the [quote=x] BBCode, for example. :p
quote:
He probably is working on a secret version
Haha, don't overestimate me... :p

I've said a number of times already that I'm not satisfied with MyBB 1.0 (released December 9th), and all subsequent releases, through version 1.1.2, have only included minor fixes for specific bugs or vulnerabilities. Therefore, my "status" has not changed at all in the last couple months.

I suppose there is some work I could be doing in preparation for upgrading, but I'm not sure what that is, and I'm not sure if it would be an effective use of my time, so my laziness takes over and I choose to just sit around and wait... :cheesy: