Shoutbox

Problem with MSN Messenger Activities - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Problem with MSN Messenger Activities (/showthread.php?tid=59161)

Problem with MSN Messenger Activities by bigrickdog on 05-08-2006 at 03:53 AM

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my MSN Messenger Activity tab (if the title didn't tip you off ;) )

First, some info about my computer:

I have the latest MSN Messenger and MSN Plus!.
I run windows XP Pro SP 2 and it's been formatted only a month or 2 ago.
I have all the critical updates from MS (and most of the optionals, too).
I have no viruses or spyware/adware installed.
I have no firewall running and my router is configured correctly (I think)

When I click the Activities tab in a message window, I am limited to just a few choices. I want to be able to use Whiteboard, which isn't showing up. I have tried searching Google for information but I have found basically nothing useful.

I thought it might be caused because my computer cannot access the MSN Activity site (or something; I found info about this on Google) so I reconfigured my router and disabled all blocked addresses in IE, etc. to no avail.

I have tried reinstalling both MSN Messenger and MSN Plus!
I have tried with MSN Plus! uninstalled (it's not the problem, of course, but I wanted to be sure)
I've tried basically everything I could think of (including starting every MSN service, and enabling such things as remote assistance)

I am not sure what the problem could be. Could it be an option I have disabled that is preventing Messenger from accessing the online lits of activities?

Any ideas you have will be appreciated. If you know ports I should enable, options I should have enabled, Services to fix, etc. I'd really like to know. No matter how 'basic' or 'common sense' you thik it is. I tweak my computer quite a lot so it's VERY possible I've inadvertantly disabled something that MSN needs to run the activities/get the list.

If you have any questions about my setup feel free to ask

Thanks,
Rick

RE: Problem with MSN Messenger Activities by Goshi on 05-08-2006 at 01:09 PM

Can you show us your activity menu to see which differences you have.

You maybe need Journal Viewer and Windows Messenger if you have not. :)

RE: Problem with MSN Messenger Activities by bigrickdog on 05-08-2006 at 04:58 PM

Well I am actually installing WLM right now to see if that might change anything, but here's the activities I have:

Music Mix
Reality Fame
MSN Photo Swap
MSN Calendar Sharing

Request Remote Assistance

And I have both of those already. I do believe whiteboard relies on Windows Messenger from using it in the past. But I'm not sure why I can't get a list of other activities, when the other computers on my network can (which I setup) :(