Shoutbox

Has opened a conv... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Has opened a conv... (/showthread.php?tid=60040)

Has opened a conv... by Krsutyrj on 06-01-2006 at 07:49 PM

Hi...first sorry about my english =)
I installed Messenger Plus 3.63 and i'm using msn 7.5
the problem is:
all the time that window saying: xxxx has opened a conversatiion with you.
appears and most of the times,the Person XXXX don't send me any mensagens.
One time i asked my friend and he told me that he didn't open anything to talk with me, but his name appeared saying he opened a conversation...
Can someone tell me what happening?
Other thing, If someone click in my Picture(that little one that stay on the left of my name on the friends list), just to see my picture without opening a chat,  will it show to me that he opened a conversation or not??
Thanks a lot

RE: Has opened a conv... by Steven on 06-01-2006 at 07:51 PM

i dont quite understand your first problem, how ever,  if your freind clicks the picture, you will not see that he opened a conversation at all. Hope this helps :)

RE: Has opened a conv... by Zahid™ on 06-01-2006 at 07:52 PM

Its because the open window notifier is not correct all the time.

RE: Has opened a conv... by Krsutyrj on 06-01-2006 at 08:01 PM

thanks for the answers
so i cant trust in this window?

RE: Has opened a conv... by Voldemort on 06-01-2006 at 08:12 PM

STEVEN IF YOU DO NOT KNOW DO NOT POST!!!!

You cannot trust open notifiers, it is not possible for them to be accurate, as they give "false alarms" when DP images are retrived...
THEY ARE NOT  TRUSTABLE
STEVEN IS WRONG.

RE: Has opened a conv... by Krsutyrj on 06-01-2006 at 09:12 PM

thanks nagini

RE: Has opened a conv... by Voldemort on 06-01-2006 at 09:15 PM

You are welcome :)

Edit:
yeah, lordy is right.

RE: Has opened a conv... by lordy on 06-01-2006 at 09:27 PM

Just to give a more detailed explaination that Nagini..

When someone downloads your display picture when they connect to MSN Messenger, it opens a connection between you and them. THis is read by StuffPlug-NG and other Window Open Notifiers as someone opening a window, because the connection has been opened.

This can lead to you getting false notifications, and can also lead to people that appear offline (ie. their status is appear offline) 'opening conversations' with you.

RE: Has opened a conv... by Krsutyrj on 06-02-2006 at 12:04 AM

ok lordy but aother thing...like you said "When someone downloads your display picture when they connect to MSN Messenger...as someone opening a window".
But sometimes, appears that someone opened a conversation and in no more than 30 min(without me or the person has disconected in this time) it appears again (and i don't change my picture either)...is this right?

RE: Has opened a conv... by lordy on 06-02-2006 at 04:56 AM

a) they could have opened a conversation window with you and not spoken
b) they could have clicked on your contact card in their contact list
c) they could have done something else that caused a connection to be opened between your computer and their's which will result in the user has opened a contact window message

RE: Has opened a conv... by CookieRevised on 06-02-2006 at 11:56 AM

In short:

forget everything about the so called open-window/closed-window notifiers. Don't bother trying to understand it or interpreting it:

Those things do not work at all!, do not use them....

quote:
From an original posting by CookieRevised in private beta testing subforum

(...) As so many people already said before (and TB already repeated again): such stuff is not reliable; in fact it does not work at all anymore!!!!*

(...) It is because of this that I think people should ban the idea in their head that open-convo, close-convo, block-checkers and all that kind of stuff still works; it does not work anymore since a long long looooooooooooong time...

quote:
I know it is unreliable etc. etc.
this is why I am asking to add it as a "hidden" feature. If a user is smart enough to enable it, he/she will know (or be alerted) that it is not reliable.
What would a hidden function be good for when it doesn't work in the first place? What are you going to interpret, a random message? All you could interpret/say about it is that it is random...

(...) Roll a dice whenever your clock beeps every 15 minutes. When you roll an even number put a sticker on your screen that I opened a convo window with you, when you roll an odd number, put a sticker on your screen which states that SunShine opened a convo with you. This is EXACTLY how "reliable" and "working" this function would be: absolutely NOT working in any way at all.

(...) Also people should really ban the idea that "It works, but it isn't reliable. Though expert users could interpret the event, so it is maybe still a bit usefull" and the likes... Absolutely NOT!

If it isn't reliable you have absolutely NO way of knowing if the event was legit or if it was a false trigger. There is nothing to interpret anything. You might as well just write a script which randomly shows you a message "user x has opened a window" at some random intervals. It will equally be accurate. And it will "work" just as good as those so called open-window notifiers.

RE: Has opened a conv... by alltalk on 06-12-2006 at 06:24 PM

ya.. i see that all the time too..   so if u click on their name only, will it show xxxx has opened a conversatiion with you too??

RE: Has opened a conv... by Voldemort on 06-12-2006 at 06:28 PM

Perhaps. It will too if your msn retrieves their DP, and many other combinations stated above.

RE: RE: Has opened a conv... by alltalk on 06-12-2006 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Perhaps. It will too if your msn retrieves their DP, and many other combinations stated above.

damn.. i thought u had to open their box to show up "xxx has opened a conversatiion with you.".. this is sick man..
RE: Has opened a conv... by GiantSpider on 06-12-2006 at 08:58 PM

Quite obviously not, as has been stated several times throughout the thread.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In short:

lol, they never are