Shoutbox

Psychic plugin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Psychic plugin (/showthread.php?tid=60655)

Psychic plugin by eug on 06-18-2006 at 01:59 AM

hi,

Is there a Gaim-style "psychic mode" plugin around? It sorta lets you know when someone is about to start a chat with you. When the other side opens a chat window with you, one will immediately pop up on your side automatically before the other side says anything.

thanks!

RE: Psychic plugin by NiteMare on 06-18-2006 at 02:01 AM

there is no relyable way for you to be able to know when somebody opens a conversation, other plug ins claim they work, but to put it simply, they don't

RE: Psychic plugin by eug on 06-18-2006 at 02:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
there is no relyable way for you to be able to know when somebody opens a conversation, other plug ins claim they work, but to put it simply, they don't

Hm.. what plugins are those?
I've seen it work on GAIM. I haven't used it extensively though, so I couldn't say if it worked each and every time.

RE: Psychic plugin by Voldemort on 06-18-2006 at 02:23 AM

they dont work.... they are not reliable, as they can be triggered by many many other things.. they are usless

RE: Psychic plugin by eug on 06-18-2006 at 02:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
they dont work.... they are not reliable, as they can be triggered by many many other things.. they are usless

Hm.. oh well.. that's a pity, it looked like a bit of fun. :)
RE: Psychic plugin by andrewdodd13 on 06-18-2006 at 09:06 AM

Yes, these are triggered on GAIM whenever you're sent the "RNG" command, iirc (been away from the protocol for too long to be sure).

Anyway, since MSN 7 and contact cards came about, anytime someone views your contact card it appears to you that they've opened a conversation.

RE: RE: Psychic plugin by MattyRid on 06-18-2006 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Anyway, since MSN 7 and contact cards came about, anytime someone views your contact card it appears to you that they've opened a conversation.

And that is just why the open and close window notifiers are so unreliable.
RE: Psychic plugin by kaypling on 06-19-2006 at 07:13 PM

It actually works on Gaim very well. I use Gaim and everytime a contact opens a chat window. A window pops up on your own end with something like "I feel a disturbance in the force...". It'll be cool to have it on msn messenger too.

RE: Psychic plugin by RaceProUK on 06-19-2006 at 09:43 PM

Not with the MSN network, for reasons already stated.,

RE: Psychic plugin by rav0 on 06-20-2006 at 06:47 AM

Gaim has this feature, and it's well implemented, but it doesn't work.

Gaim will tell the user that a conversation window with them has been opened/closed by their contact, but because of the way Messenger works, Gaim lies.

There is no state kept of whether a conversation window is open or not, thus it's not possible to detect.

RE: Psychic plugin by Diti on 06-26-2006 at 12:07 PM

Off-topic :

NiteMare, would you be baned of Web2Messenger ? You must place the URL in the sig

RE: Psychic plugin by GrimReapersSon on 06-27-2006 at 08:30 PM

They've always worked fine with me..
stuffplug ng for example...

only what i've noticed is that, when sombody clicks your name in there contact  lists the pop up shows...
but still i think its handy it'll be a shame that it''ll die out..

RE: Psychic plugin by RaceProUK on 06-28-2006 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Diti
Off-topic :

NiteMare, would you be baned of Web2Messenger ? You must place the URL in the sig
Huh?
quote:
Originally posted by GrimReapersSon
They've always worked fine with me..
stuffplug ng for example...

only what i've noticed is that, when sombody clicks your name in there contact  lists the pop up shows...
but still i think its handy it'll be a shame that it''ll die out..
By your own information the feature isn't reliable. It may be a shame it'll die out, but that's because there's no reliable way to do it (yet).